Dixons timeout wasnt dumb | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dixons timeout wasnt dumb

'Set up the play he wanted'? Jim Boeheim can claim all he wants that play happened exactly as he planned. Catch ball, dribble, then shoot. That was just a bigtime player making a big play
my guess what JB meant is that if no to is called he cant give any direction to his guys. w the to he drew up a plan a and plan b at least and was able to communicate it to his players

they couldn't risk a foul and it took a miracle shot to lose. even in hindsight it's hard to fault the strategy. i still don't get the TO delay though.

Seth Greenberg on ESPN right after the game defended Dixon's decision well, IMO. It's a coach's job to make sure things happen as he wants, esp the last play of the game. Greenberg, however, also made the point that the Pitt defender who was initially on the outside of Ennis allowed Ennis to get outside of him, and thus allowed the right-handed Ennis to shoot the ball relatively uncontested. If the Pitt defenders kept him bracketed, that would have made the shot all the more difficult. The defender crossed over when Ennis shot, but by then it was too late.

Either way, Ennis obviously made the right choice, executed well, and made a great shot. However, even the ever-gracious Boeheim characterized the shot as "lucky". But it was ungracious of Pitt (Zanna) to call it "lucky". They should say he made a great shot, and move on.

my guess is that JB had set up a play during the previous TO anyway "if they do score, this is what we are going to do." so, all that Dixon's time out did was allow him to reiterate.

at the end of the day, I don't think it mattered, because Syracuse ended up getting roughly the same shot they would have gotten with no TO

Boeheim doesn't like to call TO there. Maybe Dixon called timeout knowing that boeheim wouldn't want it. Boeheim probably thinks chaos helps offense more than defense.

I think it was dumb and the result of the timeout was even dumber. How you give your opponent time to draw up a play when they have no timeouts is idiotic. Then he doesn't even draw up a good defense during the timeout. How can you let Tyler Ennis get the ball in that situation? I would have forced the ball to anyone else on the court for SU and not let TE even sniff the ball. Great coaching Dickson and thanks for the win!

I don't think the final play was the same as SU was planning to run without the TO. If you watch before the TO, Grant has the ball and Ennis and Cooney are down looking at JB. CJ seems to be floating near halfcourt. After the TO, Grant runs the baseline as CJ fakes coming back and release long, Cooney starts at midcourt and comes open and Rak runs some interference for Ennis.

CJ was option #1, but SU had some solid floor spacing which helped spring Ennis for a small opening. Without a TO, Ennis is going to catch the ball without momentum and Pitt could have jumped him at halfcourt to force a pass/rushed shot. Obviously Ennis made a heck of a shot, but Pitt helped SU by allowing them time to run a set play.

"The inbounds pass is the most dangerous part of the game" Roy Danforth via John Wooden. THAT WAS NOT A MIRACLE SHOT .

You can call all the plays you want it's up to the player to execute it ,
C.J was to foul Souliman in the last trip down court remember.

Dixon had a 90% shot of being right, our kid just made a great play.

just so there's no misunderstanding i would hate for anyone to jump in this thread under the impression that I think Jamie Dixon is anything but a horrible awful waste of sperm

on john wallace's coast to coast shot against georgia, i think they had timeouts but chose not to use it.

i could be mistaken because i set a personal record for beers drank in a half of basketball that night my junior year

my guess is that JB had set up a play during the previous TO anyway "if they do score, this is what we are going to do." so, all that Dixon's time out did was allow him to reiterate.

at the end of the day, I don't think it mattered, because Syracuse ended up getting roughly the same shot they would have gotten with no TO
you may be correct but remember before the free throws

you may be correct but remember before the free throws
JB didnt know if pit would put a guy on grant. now maybe JB assumed that JD wouldnt but i still think the to changed things and agree w Rebar

I don't think the final play was the same as SU was planning to run without the TO. If you watch before the TO, Grant has the ball and Ennis and Cooney are down looking at JB. CJ seems to be floating near halfcourt. After the TO, Grant runs the baseline as CJ fakes coming back and release long, Cooney starts at midcourt and comes open and Rak runs some interference for Ennis.

CJ was option #1, but SU had some solid floor spacing which helped spring Ennis for a small opening. Without a TO, Ennis is going to catch the ball without momentum and Pitt could have jumped him at halfcourt to force a pass/rushed shot. Obviously Ennis made a heck of a shot, but Pitt helped SU by allowing them time to run a set play.
yep no question the spacing was different after the to, but to or no to my wild guess is TE gets roughly same shot...and makes it either way! Go CUSE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom