DL 2020 - Lots of Holes to Fill | Syracusefan.com

DL 2020 - Lots of Holes to Fill

reedny

Flame Resistant
After a rough year on Defense giving up three (50+) blow-out losses/600+ yards and the D-C getting canned, it all starts with the line next year (yikes). Here's an early look at the DL spots opening up (final 2019 2-deep in bold, grads in red) and the candidates by class:

DEnd ........ DTackle...... NG ......... DEnd

Robinson ....Ruff ......Black........Coleman
Berry
........Williams..... Elmore ......Johnathan

T. Richards (?) (6-4/230; RS-So; made the WLB 2-deep behind Armstrong at the end of this year but was injured)
Harper (6'2"/300; RS-So.; played 11 games, all except LV, and recorded 13 tackles, 2 sacks)
Morton (6-4/251; RS-So. played in 4 games this year, Liberty, HC, BC and Duke, no recorded stats).

Obechukwu (6-4/261; RS-Fr. played in 1 game in 2018 and did not play this year).

Linton (6-5/215; Fr. played in 3 games, FSU, Duke and LV and had 2 tackles against LV)
Rondi (6-4/255; Fr. played in first two 2 games against Liberty and HC at DT)
Tauzama (6-5/250; Fr. played 1 game at DE and had 2 tackles against HC)
Dawson (6-5/237; Fr. did not play)
Munoz (6-3/255; Fr. did not play)
Goldbourne (6-3/196; Fr. did not play)

L. Kinsler (DE, verbal)
Lowery (DE, verbal)
Lemieux (DE, verbal)

Last edited:
I think we'll see Zach Morton in the rotation at DE. Just a hunch. DT looks decent to me with a rotation of Williams/Black/Elmore/Harper. A couple of younger guys could surprise and contribute there. DE is thin. I think it'll be KJ/Richards/Morton/?.

I've been working on this today.

Beyond Jonathan and Richards, I think Linton seems like a sure thing to get time at the D End spot. Would also expect Kinsler to get snaps once he gets on campus, based on his reputation. Morton is a wild card. Coming off a knee injury in 2018 - were his snaps limited this year because of the talent in front of him? Gouldbourne might grow into his body next season as well.

As for DT, I'm not so sure Elmore is going to stay there. I didn't notice him getting any snaps there on Saturday, while Harper played a bunch.

Williams and Black are locks in the middle, while Harper seems like a likely rotation guy. Rondi has already lined up as a DT, so one can assume he will do the same next season.

Tuazama, Dawson, Munoz are players without fully defined positions, as of yet. Would Okechukwu have played this year if he were able? And at what position? Lots of in-betweeners on the team, and we'll see where they get placed.

Where's Harper?
I think we'll see Zach Morton in the rotation at DE. Just a hunch. DT looks decent to me with a rotation of Williams/Black/Elmore/Harper. A couple of younger guys could surprise and contribute there. DE is thin. I think it'll be KJ/Richards/Morton/?.
He was at the bottom but I moved him up (by class).
Wasn't sure about Morton ... I added him.

Last edited:
I've been working on this today.

Beyond Jonathan and Richards, I think Linton seems like a sure thing to get time at the D End spot. Would also expect Kinsler to get snaps once he gets on campus, based on his reputation. Morton is a wild card. Coming off a knee injury in 2018 - were his snaps limited this year because of the talent in front of him? Gouldbourne might grow into his body next season as well.

As for DT, I'm not so sure Elmore is going to stay there. I didn't notice him getting any snaps there on Saturday, while Harper played a bunch.

Williams and Black are locks in the middle, while Harper seems like a likely rotation guy. Rondi has already lined up as a DT, so one can assume he will do the same next season.

Tuazama, Dawson, Munoz are players without fully defined positions, as of yet. Would Okechukwu have played this year if he were able? And at what position? Lots of in-betweeners on the team, and we'll see where they get placed.
Anyone know what Okechukwu’s ailment. I think last year was a redshirt.

Anyone know what Okechukwu’s ailment. I think last year was a redshirt.
I've heard he and his family don't want that information out in the public. And yes, he redshirted in '18.

Rondi can be 280 or so as a R.Fr that is good for me as a backup. In 2021 he will be 300+ and be a stud is my prediction.

I would like to see Elmore committed full time to d tackle. We need all the help here we can get. Black gets turned too easily and really needs to focus on eating space.

I really hope tuazama can pull a slayton and fill out. Dawson as well- he has a good frame and had good offers before the knee injury.

I would like to see Elmore committed full time to d tackle. We need all the help here we can get. Black gets turned too easily and really needs to focus on eating space.

I really hope tuazama can pull a slayton and fill out. Dawson as well- he has a good frame and had good offers before the knee injury.
Elmore is way too important to the offense for that.

Again, as bnoro has said, SU can either get a good athlete who is undersized or a less good athlete who is 300 pounds. The staff has obviously prioritized athleticism over HS weight.

Yep. But who knows what will happen with a new DC. I didn't think Black was very good this year (its possible the style of d didn't suit him) and wouldn't mind seeing some big DEs if he shifts out there. Maybe shu 49 money3189 or someone else who knows something about line play can offer some insight?

Bottom line: we need defensive tackles #3 and #4 for next year. 1 and 2 are Williams and Black. Can Rondi be 3? Not sure if Harper is giving us anything

We have lots to choose from at end, including Tuazama (who I like) and Linton (who everyone else likes). Jonathon is already there.

So again, who are the next defensive tackles after Williams and Black?

Not sure I would categorize him as way to important but I would agree he has his value. That said, if he really liked the idea of going in the trenches and he spent an offseason working on technique, his size, agility and speed(relatively speaking) would be a tremendous value next to Williams who is eating two blockers. You can then slide Black over to one DE spot (285 a good size there) and you have just one DE to replace and I think Kingsley takes that spot. Now that is a strong front 4.
In the scenario above you can still put him in goal line packages on offense.

Nice post, Reed. A couple of quick observations:
  • At DT, Williams replaces Ruff giving us a three [and possibly four] returning nucleus of Black, Bear, and Harper. Elmore would be the fourth. Frosh look interesting, but have to be considered unproven commodities until they prove otherwise. that group could be really, really good in 2 years, once they have some time to grow into their frames.

• At DE, situation is more dire. Robinson will play on Sunday's but Coleman was equally as effective this season, with a tremendous motor. That's a LOT of production to be replaced. Would envision that Jonathan slides right in, and Richards gets a strong look here [unless he shifts back to LB full time]. Scary depth there right now.

Linton will be in there trust me.

I have a question to any one who can figure it out. Why is black in a weird ass stance so far off ball 1.5 yards off and throws hands but never try’s to hit a gap. Why is his but down and not up like he is ready to kill someone.

1575328860445.png

I suppose you could argue that we didn’t exactly plug many holes defensively all year so maybe it won’t be much of an issue.

This is what I think will happen:

DE: Jonathan/Linton
DT: Williams/JUCO or Grad Transfer TBD
DT: Black/Harper
DE: Richards/Tuazama

Linton appears to have established a little lead in the battle for PT between the young backup DEs. We desperately need difference makers, good pass rushers at DE. He might be our best.

I can’t believe we are going to go into 2020 without another legit, ready to play immediately, P5 level DT on the roster. Our lack of depth and size at DT was perhaps our biggest problem on defense this year. It killed us against 12 formation offenses. We have to address it and I think we will. The only questions are ,JUCO or grad transfer? And one or two?

Richards is listed as a DE and played there, at least most of the time. We don’t have depth at LB and it will be tempting to leave him there bit Tyrell has experience and athletic ability. Plus, I think his demeanor and mindset are a better fit at DE than LB. But that is just a guess.

The other DE could be anyone. I think Tuazama has a nice blend of size, strength and athletic ability and might be a little ahead of the others right now. But any of them could step up. Caleb being the most likely (he is a little more physically mature and has been in the system longer).

If we don’t get at least one DT/NT transfer by summer, I will really be worried. Personally, I expect at least one will arrive for the spring semester. We have needs at a number of positions but I think our need is most acute at DT. It will be a huge key for 2020.

Last edited:
I will die on this vine. I don't have snap count data, but there are whole series that focus on running behind his blocks.
He is getting a ton of snaps. No question about it. I don’t see him knocking people down. When I watch him, I see a lot of whiffs or barely touch someone plays.

But I haven’t watched film of this team a lot...this team was hard enough to watch playing live. So maybe he is killing it and I keep missing those killer blocks. Dino obviously knows offense and if he has him out there a lot (and he does have him out there a lot), he must be doing something right.

I sense his intangibles are really good. Seems to be very well liked and has a great personality.

Regarding his play at DT...he did get penetration and almost made a few plays. But he appeared to be overmatched a lot. His is really short for the position and I don’t think he is very strong for it either. The big thing he brings to the table is excellent agility for his size. I wish he would work harder on his conditioning and on the weights and turn 20 or 30 of those pounds of fat into muscle. Then he could do damage at DT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom