DL Cooper Dawson Opts Out | Syracusefan.com

DL Cooper Dawson Opts Out

Understandable, but was looking forward to seeing how this young man did this year.

No issues at all this kid still has 3 years of eligibility at least if the NCAA doesn’t give these kids who RS the extra they are awful.

The players on the OL and DL are the most endangered so it makes sense this kid is opting out.

No issues at all this kid still has 3 years of eligibility at least if the NCAA doesn’t give these kids who RS the extra they are awful.

The players on the OL and DL are the most endangered so it makes sense this kid is opting out.

Wasn't he a redshirt freshman? Wouldn't that mean he'd have 4 years (if the NCAA doesn't dock a year of eligibility, due to his decision)? Or am I mistaken?

FURTHER, wouldn't this be a good opportunity for more developmental players to grab an additional year of eligibility? Redshirt freshman sitting out due to covid reasons, would, in theory, gain another redshirt?

Wasn't he a redshirt freshman? Wouldn't that mean he'd have 4 years (if the NCAA doesn't dock a year of eligibility, due to his decision)? Or am I mistaken?

It's unknown at this time if the NCAA will grant every player who opts out a replacement year of eligibility.

After redshirting in 2019, he's "4 to play 4". If he sits out in 2020, he loses this year and he'll have 3 playing years left, unless the NCAA changes things.

He already redshirted, so unless the NCAA makes an additional exception, he voluntarily punted a year of eligibility.

Not sure he can expect to receive an additional year of eligibility as he had already redshirted.

completely understand his decision though.

Can the schools afford to give everyone an extra year? They could not for Spring athletes correct?

I can't criticize any student for opting to sit this year out.

I wonder if he is staying in Syracuse and taking classes (just taking a year of football off), or just staying home for the year?

And if that decision plays into any determination of whether he loses a year of eligibility for this year?

I can’t imagine the NCAA would penalize a player for wanting to sit out a year in the middle of a pandemic, but this is the NCAA we’re talking about, so who knows? I’m sure they’ll allow an exception for Michigan, Ped St, OSU, ND , etc etc

Can the schools afford to give everyone an extra year? They could not for Spring athletes correct?

Most Spring seasons were technically completed at the time of the cancellation. The only ones that were underway were LAX, Softball/Baseball and track IIRC.

The fact that we may have just the power conferences play this year illustrates that college football at that level is just about $$$$$, not 'student athletes'. I think we are going to see a lot of players take things in their own hands and 'opt out' and a lot more rebellions and demands such as the Pac 12 and Big 10 players have done. It's not going to be about 'school spirit', either.

The fact that we may have just the power conferences play this year illustrates that college football at that level is just about $$$$$, not 'student athletes'. I think we are going to see a lot of players take things in their own hands and 'opt out' and a lot more rebellions and demands such as the Pac 12 and Big 10 players have done. It's not going to be about 'school spirit', either.

True, but the players still have incentive to play, especially the upperclassmen that are trying to solidify draft stock. Cisco, for example, could play his way into the first round with a good year. If he sits out, would be big hit to his draft stock. Much less incentive to the younger guys who aren’t yet playing for draft positioning.

Not sure he can expect to receive an additional year of eligibility as he had already redshirted.

completely understand his decision though.
His decision so he should be responsible for that decision assuming the team plays a season. No additional year in my opinion.

Probably one of the safest places to be right now is Onondaga County. I wish him all the best. I also wonder how his injury rehab has gone, hopefully he clarifies is his future.

Probably one of the safest places to be right now is Onondaga County. I wish him all the best. I also wonder how his injury rehab has gone, hopefully he clarifies is his future.

Maybe I'm mistaken but he's still planning on being on scholarship on campus, correct? Just not playing football.

And will the NCAA allow more than 85 on scholarship? I still have a feeling this whole thing will lead to the top tier teams stockpiling players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom