Class of 2016 - DL Eric Mitchell UF Commit will take OV to SU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DL Eric Mitchell UF Commit will take OV to SU

http://www.. . . . . . . . . /colle...ry/1571391-eric-mitchell-will-make-his-rounds

Free Article..

Eric Mitchell says he's 95 percent committed to Florida, but mentions a handful of others that could receive an official visit as well.

Eric Mitchell, a defensive lineman out of Miami Central and Scout's 87th-ranked defensive end in 2016, says he remains firm to Jim McElwain and the University of Florida out of the SEC, but admits that he has a good handful of official visits in mind as well. The Miami native pledged to the in-state Gators just a couple of weeks following National Signing Day back in February.

In addition to the Gators, Mitchell says Louisville, Syracuse, UCF and Marshall are likely to receive an official visit in the fall. Rutgers is another Power Five program that's heavily in the mix and being considered for an official visit, but are on the outside looking in at this point.

The 6-foot-1, 225-pound Mitchell isn't the biggest guy going toe-to-toe in the trenches, but he plays with great finesse and simply gets after it each and every play. He sticks to what he does best and utilizes his speed and athleticism to his advantage. Mitchell has active, quick hands to swat his opponent's initial punch and disengage off blocks as well.

Mitchell is currently one of six rising seniors out of South Florida who are verbally committed to Jim McElwain's program up in Gainesville.

For anyone who doesn't think we won't take a D-lineman this cycle...

For anyone who doesn't think we won't take a D-lineman this cycle...

Like bcubs said, we already have taken a d-lineman. Where did anyone say we weren't taking a d-lineman? I'll wait.

Just to be clear LeMoyneCuse, You claimed that people were saying we wouldn't take any d-lineman. There is no evidence to your claim.

I think what you meant was in reference to the DT discussion in that thread, however there is no evidence that anyone said we would not be taking a DT either.

Just to be clear LeMoyneCuse, You claimed that people were saying we wouldn't take any d-lineman. There is no evidence to your claim.

I think what you meant was in reference to the DT discussion in that thread, however there is no evidence that anyone said we would not be taking a DT either.

Actually I think that was all about KCSU saying that we would take two.

i like this. Kid looks like a high major DEnd.

and another example not to get to focused on only 2 or 3 kids.

Actually I think that was all about KCSU saying that we would take two.

I understand the conversation he is referring to because I was a part of it. I just wanted it to be clear that nobody in that thread stated what he claimed, which was that we wouldn't take any d-lineman.

I'm assuming he meant anyMORE and DT not d-lineman based on that thread, but regardless of what he meant, not one person said we wouldn't be taking either. It was a lack of reading comprehension on LeMoynes part.

We’re not really set at DE if the staff decides to move one or two of the rookies over to the offense. We have 3 DE’s who were all offered as Tight End prospects to.

I’d like to bring in another DT though.

We’re not really set at DE if the staff decides to move one or two of the rookies over to the offense. We have 3 DE’s who were all offered as Tight End prospects to.

I’d like to bring in another DT though.

Yeah, I thought Ealey and Sheppard both had very good tight end highlights in their videos too. Those guys are just great athletes.

I understand the conversation he is referring to because I was a part of it. I just wanted it to be clear that nobody in that thread stated what he claimed, which was that we wouldn't take any d-lineman.

I'm assuming he meant anyMORE and DT not d-lineman based on that thread, but regardless of what he meant, not one person said we wouldn't be taking either. It was a lack of reading comprehension on LeMoynes part.
Why are making such an enormous issue out of this?

Jekel said he doesn't think we'll bring in a DT if we don't get Colon or Peek. He has more connections than me, so I respect his opinion. I don't see how we can't.

We have 7 DEnds on the roster which includes 4 freshman. Simmons graduates and a big year might send Thompson into the draft. I wouldn't think DEnd is a 'need' either but it could be. The whole DLine numbers are a bit messed up. Have to believe Kenny Carter at 260 right now will move inside at some point.

2015 – (7)

Donnie Simmons SR
Ron Thompson JR
Luke Arciniega JR
Kenny Carter FR
Qaadir Sheppard FR
Amir Ealey FR
Jake Pickard FR

2016 – (7)

Ron Thompson SR
Luke Arciniega SR
Kenny Carter SO
Qaadir Sheppard SO
Amir Ealey SO
Jake Pickard SO
Jamal Holloway FR

We have 7 DEnds on the roster which includes 4 freshman. Simmons graduates and a big year might send Thompson into the draft. I wouldn't think DEnd is a 'need' either but it could be. The whole DLine numbers are a bit messed up. Have to believe Kenny Carter at 260 right now will move inside at some point.

2015 – (7)

Donnie Simmons SR
Ron Thompson JR
Luke Arciniega JR
Kenny Carter FR
Qaadir Sheppard FR
Amir Ealey FR
Jake Pickard FR

2016 – (7)

Ron Thompson SR
Luke Arciniega SR
Kenny Carter SO
Qaadir Sheppard SO
Amir Ealey SO
Jake Pickard SO
Jamal Holloway FR

Interesting data when presented that way. Obviously, DE is a big unknown [or at least a big unproven] heading into this year, but if a couple of things go our way, we could really have outstanding depth / talent / edge pass rush given the class we brought in last year.

Agree 100% that Carter probably moves inside--both because we'd have quality numbers at DE, and also to help offset the depth need at DT. Makes perfect sense. in two years, he'll probably be 280-285 anyway.

Interesting data when presented that way. Obviously, DE is a big unknown [or at least a big unproven] heading into this year, but if a couple of things go our way, we could really have outstanding depth / talent / edge pass rush given the class we brought in last year.

Agree 100% that Carter probably moves inside--both because we'd have quality numbers at DE, and also to help offset the depth need at DT. Makes perfect sense. in two years, he'll probably be 280-285 anyway.
I know the numbers don't work out this way, but I prefer to see at least one guy per class at DT. It's such a developmental position that it seems beneficial to always have guys coming through, especially since we not get to RS any of the Freshmen DT.

And I agree with Carter as a DT also.