Class of 2023 - DL Tyriq Blanding (NY) Verbal to PSU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 DL Tyriq Blanding (NY) Verbal to PSU

Wow this is a kid who they are probably telling can come in and play right away in his home state. I just got a feeling they are going to land a few of these big fish soon. The staff seems to be working harder and smarter than ever before and it shows with how many kids they are getting on campus

Wow this is a kid who they are probably telling can come in and play right away in his home state. I just got a feeling they are going to land a few of these big fish soon. The staff seems to be working harder and smarter than ever before and it shows with how many kids they are getting on campus
Completely agree and love hearing you say it too. Feel like we’re close to landing a few kids and a top 40 class. Get a top 40 class on paper with our staffs ability to identify diamonds….and watch out.

Offers from Miami, Pitt, UMass, Syracuse, WVU, Michigan, Oregon, S. Carolina, Nebraska, Arizona St, BC, BGSU, PSU, Buffalo, Kent St, UMD.

From his twitter, in the past month, he has visited PSU, Michigan and Syracuse.
I think the staff has reached critical mass, and is no longer a liability in any way. If we're not landing the top kids from in-state now, it's probably out of our control.

I think the staff has reached critical mass, and is no longer a liability in any way. If we're not landing the top kids from in-state now, it's probably out of our control.
Well after this year when we play well on the field and go to a bowl I agree with this. Other than just the resume of the staff, kids still want to win some games. After that happens this year they will have proof of likely bowl seasons to come. Then it should certainly happen.

I was excited to see that we finally got Tyriq Blanding on campus yesterday. On the best NYS prospects 2023 spreadsheet, tomcat evaluated him earlier in the year this way, “beast, strong, fast and nimble as hell, dominates games” and I concur after looking at his film numerous times.

On his visit he learned more about Syracuse and got to talk shop with an ex NFL coach Chris Achuff. He is #1 on tomcat’s NYS best prospect list and at 6’3” 275, IMO, he’s the perfect example of our next best edge rusher – Dwight Freeney being the first at 6’ 1” 268. The comparison fits.

"We were talking about football schemes and formations," Blanding said. "We were going over my film, talking about what I do good and bad and we went over drills. He said my film is great and I'm real explosive. How he can make me more explosive. How he can tell my favorite move is the spin and how I use it a lot. The other moves I could use instead. He said I will fit perfectly into the scheme as a three tech."

Freeney who was faster than Blanding, at 4.48 one of the fastest times recorded for his position was famed for a trademark spin move late in his career, the younger version of Freeney feasted on opposing tackles with one of the most explosive first steps the league had ever seen.

In the 2021 season, Blanding recorded 49 tackles and 4 sacks for the Irish. Christ The King High Scholl head coach Jason Brown stated that “Tyriq Blanding has the fastest get-off I’ve ever had at Christ The King”. Blanding was clocked in at a 4.97 in a 40-yard dash in various offseason camps. Brown also states that he is a quiet kid, but on the field, he is a “Manchild”.

"It definitely made me get more in tune with Syracuse," Blanding said. "I think Syracuse stands and always has stood strong in my recruitment because it is in New York and the best school in New York."

We get him and Rashard Perry we have #1 and #5 in the list of best in NYS retained and matriculating at SU. That would be two great players from our backyard!

Last edited:
I was excited to see that we finally got Tyriq Blanding on campus yesterday. On the best NYS prospects 2023 spreadsheet, tomcat evaluated him earlier in the year this way, “beast, strong, fast and nimble as hell, dominates games” and I concur after looking at his film numerous times.

On his visit he learned more about Syracuse and got to talk shop with an ex NFL coach Chris Achuff. He is #1 on tomcat’s NYS best prospect list and at 6’3” 275, IMO, he’s the perfect example of our next best edge rusher – Dwight Freeney being the first at 6’ 1” 268. The comparison fits.

"We were talking about football schemes and formations," Blanding said. "We were going over my film, talking about what I do good and bad and we went over drills. He said my film is great and I'm real explosive. How he can make me more explosive. How he can tell my favorite move is the spin and how I use it a lot. The other moves I could use instead. He said I will fit perfectly into the scheme as a three tech."

Freeney who was faster than Blanding, at 4.48 one of the fastest times recorded for his position was famed for a trademark spin move late in his career, the younger version of Freeney feasted on opposing tackles with one of the most explosive first steps the league had ever seen.

In the 2021 season, Blanding recorded 49 tackles and 4 sacks for the Irish. Christ The King High Scholl head coach Jason Brown stated that “Tyriq Blanding has the fastest get-off I’ve ever had at Christ The King”. Blanding was clocked in at a 4.97 in a 40-yard dash in various offseason camps. Brown also states that he is a quiet kid, but on the field, he is a “Manchild”.

"It definitely made me get more in tune with Syracuse," Blanding said. "I think Syracuse stands and always has stood strong in my recruitment because it is in New York and the best school in New York."

We get him and Rashard Perry we have #1 and #5 in the list of best in NYS retained and matriculating at SU. That would be two great players from OUR BACKYARD!
I just want to say that I really enjoy your posts, especially these types. They give me justified enthusiasm!

Lord willing we land him, it would go a long ways towards the terrific DL in state in 2024 class

I just want to say that I really enjoy your posts, especially these types. They give me justified enthusiasm!
Thank you SU in Hershey. Much appreciated. I love to see the way the teams are developing.

Football seems to be in the throes of coming around the bend to something very good with the new coaches and some of the new players. We'll have to see how they all work or blend together when the coaches get them this summer pre - season time.

Another close second is basketball. Almost an entire new team. It worries me a bit because no matter what anyone says for freshmen coming in it usually takes a year for them to adapt to and learn the college game unless you have a player like Anthony and McNamara coming in at the same time - we'll see how this works.

Gary Gait I do not believe walked into a team that had a lot of talent. Just seems like they have a game in hand or takeover the lead and then lose it at the last minute as they did against NC. We have some very good players coming in so it's another waiting game for Gait to coach a new team and see what he can do.

We're watching FLJ put together a new Womens BB program from soup to nuts and she's doing a great job going from her basic philosophy CAB, Character Athletics Basketball. Her asistants are very bright and experienced - I see nothing but positives coming from this hire and this program.

Again thank you for your comments - they give me the tug to go forth, observe and think about more and write about it and it feels good for me and for me to feel good about SU!

edit: Almost most of all, I'd like to thank the Admins & Moderators: CuseLegacy, OrangeXtreme, Jake, sutomcat, bees and all the rest. No one knows how much time is involved to put each piece of member information in the various threads on boards at this site, get incoming information from the media posted everyday and then post all the information about recruited players for Football, Basketball, Lax and now Womens BB and everything else I missed.

As far as I am concerned, this is the best university board there is and it is a pleasure to be associated with so many well educated people and those who post on this board again and again because they have opinions they feel should be shared, responded to, agreements and disagreements. It's all right here at syracusefan.com I respect the fact that almost everyone's post is meaningful and gets to be shared and responded to or not. IT'S ALL GOOD!

Last edited:
MV5BYWM0ZjU1YTgtOTQ5Zi00MWY5LTk4ZjEtOTE4YWU1Y2RmZjU5L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg

Even if he pick's pedo U or anyone else this is the type you don't stop recruiting until the ink is dry in december.

The 100,000 fans tend to draw them to Penn st. but it seems that most ny kids that go that route do not excel there. Could come to SU and see the field a lot sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom