Do we have any NBA draft picks | Syracusefan.com

Do we have any NBA draft picks

kcsu

Living Legend
Are there any future NBA draft picks on our team including incoming Frosh?

Shooting is really valued. We have three guys who could prove to be elite shooters

Carey - No shot.

Goodine - Need to see him in games before I judge.

Guerrier - Most likely of the 3, but not a lottery pick I don’t think.

Talent has dropped way off over past 5-7 years. NBA teams agree.
Not ready to write off Carey, especially after the Oregon and Uconn showings. Not everyone’s a one and done.

Carey - No shot.

Carey could 100% play himself into a draft pick, but needs a jump shot

Carey could 100% play himself into a draft pick, but needs a jump shot

Jumpshots don’t fall from trees. Look at Ben Simmons.

Carey has athleticism but his decision making and feel for the game are sub par. That also doesn’t change much usually.

Not ready to write off Carey, especially after the Oregon and Uconn showings. Not everyone’s a one and done.

He was average in both games against below average teams. Had a lot of points, sure, but points aren’t the whole story.

Elijah if he tightens his handle and consistently shows aggressiveness on defense.

Nobody thinks Hughes has a shot? Or, fairly, do we need to see him in more of an Alpha role to decide?
I think getting on a roster in the NBA at small forward is really tough. You need to be an exceptional player to even get a look.

I like Elijah and think he is a fine college player. But I don't see elite athletic ability when I watch him play. There are a lot of holes in his game. He isn't a great leaper, he isn't physical, he can't drive well, he has a really slow release on his jumper, can't rebound at all, hasn't shown great judgement with his shot selection, etc. He isn't even in great shape.

IMHO, there is no way he can cover small forwards in the NBA. Too weak and soft.

IMHO, there is no way he can cover shooting guards in the NBA. Too slow and sluggish.

Again, I am not saying he is a bad athlete. He is a very good athlete. But when compared to NBA players, that is a really high bar. One I don't think he meets. At least not so far.

Right now, I don't see any sure fire NBA players on the roster. I agree that Guerrier is probably the most likely one to get there. Some others have the raw athletic ability to make it but a lot of development is needed.

I think getting on a roster in the NBA at small forward is really tough. You need to be an exceptional player to even get a look.

I like Elijah and think he is a fine college player. But I don't see elite athletic ability when I watch him play. There are a lot of holes in his game. He isn't a great leaper, he isn't physical, he can't drive well, he has a really slow release on his jumper, can't rebound at all, hasn't shown great judgement with his shot selection, etc. He isn't even in great shape.

IMHO, there is no way he can cover small forwards in the NBA. Too weak and soft.

IMHO, there is no way he can cover shooting guards in the NBA. Too slow and sluggish.

Again, I am not saying he is a bad athlete. He is a very good athlete. But when compared to NBA players, that is a really high bar. One I don't think he meets. At least not so far.

Right now, I don't see any sure fire NBA players on the roster. I agree that Guerrier is probably the most likely one to get there. Some others have the raw athletic ability to make it but a lot of development is needed.
Nice analysis. I hope he shows more this year. Like pretty much everybody on the team last year, he showed flashes (and exceptional range, cough-Duke-cough!), but would disappear for stretches both in a game and for several games in a row. I hope he thrives rather than wilts under the increased light and scrutiny of being our de facto leader. I guess we shall see.

Carey - No shot.

Has the talent dropped off? Cuz the NBA draft hasn't shown that.

Depth of talent did certainly dip during the sanctions but, based on the last 7 drafts, the top guys are about what we expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey has a chance. Highly rated out of high school. Has the size and athleticism to make it. Needs to put it all together. Didn't see much of him last year, so it's early to count him out.

Goodine and Guerrier obviously have that potential.

Jesse Edwards is a longshot based entirely on how new he is to the game. Will obviously be in college for a while.

Hughes can make it if he continues to show high level 3 point shooting. Will probably need to improve his ballhandling (or show it off more) because he'd have to switch to SG in the NBA.

I think that's it.

Jumpshots don’t fall from trees. Look at Ben Simmons.

Carey has athleticism but his decision making and feel for the game are sub par. That also doesn’t change much usually.

Carey made 3's at a high percentage in high school, which is something Ben Simmons never did at any level. His shot isn't broken or anything like that. The sample size of his 3 point shooting in college is practically non-existent.

Definitely needs to improve decision making and ball security.

Shooting gets drafted. Look at Kyle Guy.

Kyle Guy is a much better player, and was a McDonald’s All-American. Come on now. I like Buddy but saying he’s a long shot to get drafted is crazy. Of the 13 scholarship players on the team, he’s not in the Top 5 of draftable guys. He plays zero defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom