Do we have the best D in the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Do we have the best D in the ACC?

texascpa

Living Legend
Listening to ACC Network on the way home last night and they did a segment - "Describe a team's defense in three words". When it got to Syracuse, the response was "Best in League". Kind of floored me based on how highly regarded Clemson's and NCST's defenses are. The argument was we had a really good defense last year, brought back most everyone except the front line and lead in many defensive statistics including Avg Yds/Game, Defensive TD's scored (3), Passing Yards allowed, Avg Points allowed and a few other metrics. Several other statistics we are second or third in the league.

So, does SU have the best defense in the league? Through 5 games, I think so.

I would say we have the best back 7 (8 in our case) in the ACC. Clemson’s Dline and pass rush is hard to compete with though.

They were missing key guys against NC State and got consistent pressure.

Listening to ACC Network on the way home last night and they did a segment - "Describe a team's defense in three words". When it got to Syracuse, the response was "Best in League". Kind of floored me based on how highly regarded Clemson's and NCST's defenses are. The argument was we had a really good defense last year, brought back most everyone except the front line and lead in many defensive statistics including Avg Yds/Game, Defensive TD's scored (3), Passing Yards allowed, Avg Points allowed and a few other metrics. Several other statistics we are second or third in the league.

Ha. I was just wondering about this yesterday and was looking up the numbers. In the below link you can run through the rankings in different categories. We very well may have the best Defense. Obviously schedule matters a bit.

NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Not at all. It's Clemson.

As I've said before, teams will hit homers in the run game for the rest of the season.
I doubt it, you just adjust an extra defender into the box and let your secondary play man, which they’re better at anyway. Syracuse hasn’t been in a position where they need to stop the run yet so we haven’t seen any defensive looks that would do so

I doubt it, you just adjust an extra defender into the box and let your secondary play man, which they’re better at anyway. Syracuse hasn’t been in a position where they need to stop the run yet so we haven’t seen any defensive looks that would do so
Hope so, but unlikely to work well against the next 3 opponents. The offense has to be humming after the bye.

Hope so, but unlikely to work well against the next 3 opponents. The offense has to be humming after the bye.
I’d assume NC state will be a pass first approach similar to Purdue just (hopefully) without the super soft zones. Clemson and ND will be a bit different but I think ND will be the only who tries to establish the run first

Our backs are better than Clemson. Their defensive line is talented and deep. Our pass rush is pretty good, but rush defense scares me. I waiting for the team that dedicates itself to running the ball.

Very solid D concept / personnel.

Worried that Lockett's injury [and Thompson's] might submarine what could be an elite group.

But man -- hiring Tony White to implement this system was a grand slam home run.
This is why I have a bearish view on the defense going forward. Not saying Lockett is Sapp, but losing him is going to be devastating.

Let's see how we do in the rest of the way before we declare anyone the "best".

vs NC State
@ Clemson
vs Notre Dame
@ Pittsburgh
vs Florida State
@ Wake Forest
@ Boston College

It's a very tough road ahead.

We are good. Are we the best? Time will tell.

I think Sparrow and Lowery have played exceptional since Thompson went down. I think people are downplaying Darton but he has held his own against every team and his best game was Purdue. We don't need Dartons rotation partner to be All Acc, he just needs to do well enough for the rest of the defense to converge. I think White can help scheme to help against the run as well.

Our backs are better than Clemson. Their defensive line is talented and deep. Our pass rush is pretty good, but rush defense scares me. I waiting for the team that dedicates itself to running the ball.

Interesting you say that, we are fourth in the league in rushing yards/game. Now, I know we haven't played against any dominating rusher or rushing team, but neither has Clemson who is No. 1 in the league and No. 2 nationally.

I want to see what Fuentes-Cundiff / Bassette can do before going that far.

Both were quality "gets" for our program.

Next man up.
We have seen what EFC can do and it's not much. Can't rely on Bassette right now.

our defense has basically played one bad quarter the entire season. Louisville has put up 30 plus in their other ACC games and we held them to 7. UVAs offense is bad, we gave up 20 but that was with the offense turning it over 4 times. Purdue game the D was fine until the above mentioned one bad quarter, and we took care of business against the two stiffs. I think Clemson has the best D, but if we had Stef and Lockett I think we would be damn close. I have some concern with the run D going forward, but I think Tony will scheme things to help that. Our depth, or lack thereof, is being tested on the DL but I think we have some kids who will do a solid job.

I really wish Josh Hough was ready to roll (in his development) because I'd love to have some actual beef in the middle... And I know, I get it, the way we run the 3-3-5 calls for lighter, quicker linemen but Josh played RB so he has speed, and some extra lb's would help with the run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom