Do you think David Ortiz is a HOFer? | Syracusefan.com

Do you think David Ortiz is a HOFer?

Alsacs

Living Legend
This is going to be an interesting case. I think he will have a hard time getting in because of the 2003 leak to the NY Times .
If you look at his stats I think he should get in but no primary DH has ever gotten and I don't see Edgar Martinez getting up to 75%.

Note Kaiser buddy you can stay away from this thread I really don't want it to become partisan bashing of a player/team you don't like.

As we've seen with closers getting in, so we will someday see with guys who were primarily DHs, IMO. Martinez belongs, as does Ortiz. There are plenty of position players in the HoF who were liabilities in the field; the DH is a fixture in the modern game and those who have excelled in that role should be recognized.

yes. He gets in. To hold the DH thing against him is ridiculous. Closer's pitch about 80 innings a year. In Ortiz's case, his record speaks for itself. As for the roids, normally I would say no. But his name is only allegedly on the list. MLB has never confirmed that his name or any other name was on that list. And it wasn't against the rules of baseball at that time. Unlike say A-rod, whose name was linked to roids in Florida, ortiz has never been linked to any roid cites.

As we've seen with closers getting in, so we will someday see with guys who were primarily DHs, IMO. Martinez belongs, as does Ortiz. There are plenty of position players in the HoF who were liabilities in the field; the DH is a fixture in the modern game and those who have excelled in that role should be recognized.

Absolutely if Ortiz gets in Edgar Martinez deserves serious consideration, he put up some big time numbers.

I love Edgar! Afraid it might take a veteran's committee to get him in years from now.

And now a great hitting coach.

Last edited:
Before steroids
436-skinny-female-baseball-player-holds-ball-in-glove.jpg

As a Yankees fan: HELL NO!!!

As a baseball fan: Edgar Martinez needs to be in before Big Pappi, in my opinion. However, I think they should both be in. Some people may hate the DH, but it is legal position in the game, therefore those who have excelled at that position should be recognized.

Ortiz obviously did roids. But I also think he's going to make it in relatively easily. People usually hold steroids against people they don't like and Ortiz is relatively well liked.

yes. He gets in. To hold the DH thing against him is ridiculous. Closer's pitch about 80 innings a year. In Ortiz's case, his record speaks for itself. As for the roids, normally I would say no. But his name is only allegedly on the list. MLB has never confirmed that his name or any other name was on that list. And it wasn't against the rules of baseball at that time. Unlike say A-rod, whose name was linked to roids in Florida, ortiz has never been linked to any roid cites.

Actually, I believe Ortiz admitted to some form of PED use a few years ago.

Ortiz obviously did roids. But I also think he's going to make it in relatively easily. People usually hold steroids against people they don't like and Ortiz is relatively well liked.
This!!!

I would like to adjust my statement...if the voters are not going to allow any alleged or substantiated PED users in, then Ortiz should not be in...however, my opinion is that the PED users should be in, with a note on their plaques reflecting the PED era...

Pettitte will be interesting when he is eligible...

I would like to adjust my statement...if the voters are not going to allow any alleged or substantiated PED users in, then Ortiz should not be in...however, my opinion is that the PED users should be in, with a note on their plaques reflecting the PED era...
I think they should all be let-in as well; although I don't think you need the note. On which players do you put the note? Only confirmed users?

We can educate our children about the PED era. I don't think it needs to be on the plaque.

I don't think his career is HoF-worthy, even without the PED taint. Very close, but not there for me.

Mike Piazza is unofficially the first steroid user who I think for sure used steroids and getting into the HOF.

Ortiz gives the media interviews and I think he has the stats and lot of clutch hits.

His video shows his career highlights. I would admit I think he used something illegal during his career.

People like him so they don't hold it against him, they even say he admitted to it straight up when he only admitted to whatever they had on him, which changed as time went on.

I think they should all be let-in as well; although I don't think you need the note. On which players do you put the note? Only confirmed users?

We can educate our children about the PED era. I don't think it needs to be on the plaque.

You could just have a general plaque or display that states/discusses the PED era...and let people draw their own conclusions...

I don't think his career is HoF-worthy, even without the PED taint. Very close, but not there for me.

I think without the PED issue, he would be borderline, so will be interesting to see if the PED taint on his career will affect the voting...