Do you think David Ortiz is a HOFer? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think David Ortiz is a HOFer?

Mike Piazza is unofficially the first steroid user who I think for sure used steroids and getting into the HOF.

Ortiz gives the media interviews and I think he has the stats and lot of clutch hits.

His video shows his career highlights. I would admit I think he used something illegal during his career.

Where has Piazza been linked to roids? Not some second hand comments about a reporter seeing him with backne either

Ah, I understand
It could hang alongside the other plaques. Above the narrative, there could be a montage of various images - Victor Conte's face, Jose Canseco giving someone an injection, with Bud Selig and some owners off to the side, looking in the other direction.

Where has Piazza been linked to roids? Not some second hand comments about a reporter seeing him with backne either
Just my opinion. There is a reason why an obvious first ballot HOF didn't get in until his 3rd try. Reporters have to have known something. Piazza should have been a first ballot guy with his offense at the toughest defensive position.

I don't really care if he used anyway he was an obvious HoFer.

I think all of the PED era guys should be in. Some guys were lucky enough to get away with it. I think it's silly to try to define what "linked to PEDs" means. A reasonable person should assume that most of the players of the era used something at some point in time. I'd prefer to stop trying to figure out who did what and just honor the best players of the era.

Just my opinion. There is a reason why an obvious first ballot HOF didn't get in until his 3rd try. Reporters have to have known something. Piazza should have been a first ballot guy with his offense at the toughest defensive position.

I don't really care if he used anyway he was an obvious HoFer.

Which is why reporters have way too much power in this . Reporters who do not, and have not covered sports in years still play god with their vote on speculation

I like that the MLB HOF is so tough on entry requirements.

I like that the MLB HOF is so tough on entry requirements.
Except when the system results in legitimate candidates like Delgado dropping off the ballot after only one year, or results in marginal candidates winding up with in the Hall thanks to the crony system, while other more worthy historical figures are repeatedly denied.

Except when the system results in legitimate candidates like Delgado dropping off the ballot after only one year, or results in marginal candidates winding up with in the Hall thanks to the crony system, while other more worthy historical figures are repeatedly denied.
I just checked out his carreer stats on baseball reference. His 2003 year was an all time great.

I just checked out his carreer stats on baseball reference. His 2003 year was an all time great.
I'm not sure if he belongs in the HoF or not, but he sure belonged on the ballot more than one year. It's amazing to look back at the names that dropped off after only one year.

Edit: Thought I was posting in the Carlos Delgado thread, but you get the point...

Last edited:
Mike Piazza is unofficially the first steroid user who I think for sure used steroids and getting into the HOF.

Ortiz gives the media interviews and I think he has the stats and lot of clutch hits.

His video shows his career highlights. I would admit I think he used something illegal during his career.

Based on what? There was never proof that Piazza was using. Just because he had backne, doesn't mean he was on them.

all right, so I gave you guys the weekend on this.

the answer is NO. hes not a HOFer.

for all the reasons listed, obviously roids...and hes nothing but a DH.

if the roid guys start to get in, and some should, Clemens, Bonds, Arod, Pettitte...then I would consider taking that off his no list, but he wasn't a HOFer before roids and he may still be using them for all we know.

but I also just don't see a DH only getting in.

retire his #.

he certainly deserves a statue on Lansdowne St.

but he can buy a ticket to Cooperstown.

all right, so I gave you guys the weekend on this.

the answer is NO. hes not a HOFer.

for all the reasons listed, obviously roids...and hes nothing but a DH.

if the roid guys start to get in, and some should, Clemens, Bonds, Arod, Pettitte...then I would consider taking that off his no list, but he wasn't a HOFer before roids and he may still be using them for all we know.

but I also just don't see a DH only getting in.

retire his #.

he certainly deserves a statue on Lansdowne St.

but he can buy a ticket to Cooperstown.

Pettite isn't in the same class as those other guys, he isn't even close to being a hof.

Pettite isn't in the same class as those other guys, he isn't even close to being a hof.
No he's not in that same class for sure.

By to say he isn't even close to being a HOFer is flat out wrong.

No he's not in that same class for sure.

By to say he isn't even close to being a HOFer is flat out wrong.

He has 256 wins in 18 seasons, and an era of almost 4, hes not even close.

He has 256 wins in 18 seasons, and an era of almost 4, hes not even close.
He is close, but not quite there for me, even with the post season success. No shame in being close. Mike Mussina, IMO, belongs in and should get there eventually.

He is close, but not quite there for me, even with the post season success. No shame in being close. Mike Mussina, IMO, belongs in and should get there eventually.

I would put Mussina ahead of Pettite, no shame at all, Pettite was a terrific pitcher, just not hof.

This is going to be an interesting case. I think he will have a hard time getting in because of the 2003 leak to the NY Times .
If you look at his stats I think he should get in but no primary DH has ever gotten and I don't see Edgar Martinez getting up to 75%.

Note Kaiser buddy you can stay away from this thread I really don't want it to become partisan bashing of a player/team you don't like.

He gets in because he is likeable
If he were like bonds or Clemens personality wise, no way
Nobody cares that this dude was in the Mitchell report whereas others will never get into the hall because of merely the appearance that something was up

This is going to be an interesting case. I think he will have a hard time getting in because of the 2003 leak to the NY Times .
If you look at his stats I think he should get in but no primary DH has ever gotten and I don't see Edgar Martinez getting up to 75%.

Note Kaiser buddy you can stay away from this thread I really don't want it to become partisan bashing of a player/team you don't like.

Yes. Greatest clutch hitter of all time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom