Do you think this class of 2018 will end up top 40? | Syracusefan.com

Do you think this class of 2018 will end up top 40?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I do.

Dino is doing a great job finding quality players. This class right now is on pace as our best in a long time.

Have we finished top 40 in recent years?

Right now the composite of our class is 33rd.

Love it from the football staff.

Don't think top 40 is possible for 2018 (likely to fall when all the 4/5 stars make decisions and we're likely to have some 2 star/unranked commits based on fit). I think a realistic and attainable goal should be top 50. Need to have a winning season (and more) to break top 40.

its on pace to be top 40 but ultimately maybe not because it's going to be a small class. right now the current numbers say it'll be a small class, depends on attrition.

imo the class will need 2 or 3 four star kids to end up top 40.

I don't think the class will be top 40. I think it will end up looking a lot like last year. Maybe a tick better. we need wins on the field to make a jump.

I think a good measure if you're using 2foursev would be the average grade. Say we finish 50th. Is our average score better than any in the top 40? top 30? I'd love a balance but at the end of the day I trust Dino for guys that fit his system more than just the stars some website gives out

Agree with average grade for this class as I don't think we will be in the 23-25 range so it might be hard to hit top 40.

Memorial Day Monday and we are still 32nd.

I don't know if we will finish top 40 by February. However the commits we already have are on par with programs like
Virginia Tech, Maryland, Auburn, Virginia, TcU, Michigan State.

If we get a bowl game this year I can't imagine what Dino could do.

Pay this man and his staff money Wildhack. Do it.

I agree with what most have stated, I do not think top 40 this year. But, what is more important I believe is how much did we improve from last year? One site says we were ranked 54th class last year, if we finish around I'm thinking 45th this year... that is great. That is a step in the right direction and indicates progress. Then repeat the process for the 2019 cycle. And prove it on the field. Then we will be getting consistently top 40 classes with this staff. Its a process, we have to be patient. I have full trust in Dino! Go Orange!

I don't know if we will finish top 40 by February. However the commits we already have are on par with programs like

Could we wait for him to actually win some games before we build that statue? Like what I have seen so far but let's not get carried away. We won 4 games last year. And as for recruits this year, we have 1 4 star. We are doing a bit better but let's hold off on giving the guy the farm just yet.

When we can get a ground game going, I will begin to lay the foundation for the statue. Can't say you are an offensive juggernaut without a ground game. Wide receiver screens only beat small potato teams

He has 5 more years on his deal. I'm just as excited as you are but remember how excited ND was with Charlie Weis' first season. How did that 10 year extension turn out?

Could we wait for him to actually win some games before we build that statue? Like what I have seen so far but let's not get carried away. We won 4 games last year. And as for recruits this year, we have 1 4 star. We are doing a bit better but let's hold off on giving the guy the farm just yet.
Exactly. Patience, and take the long view.

since i'm spending other people's money id give him an extension. if people can't see Dino has the 'it' factor then they are blind. Once he builds depth with BCS level recruits and creates 3 deep competition he will get it done. I'd rather be in front of it.

since i'm spending other people's money id give him an extension. if people can't see Dino has the 'it' factor then they are blind. Once he builds depth with BCS level recruits and creates 3 deep competition he will get it done. I'd rather be in front of it.
I am with you on this. If you think you have your guy, and I am among those that think we do, then lock him up, because he will win. And then, he will get offers. And if he isn't secure, he will entertain those offers. And the likelyhood he is out the door rises, and then we are back to square one. And, square one sucks.

Who said give the guy the farm?
I said pay the man. Just slight bump as we can leave room for more as the wins happen.
Dino is the first HC we have had in a long time that I believe fully gets college football and knows where it is going.

Dino inherited a roster that was bottom of the P5 in talent and below several G6 schools.

With the momentum of recruiting giving Dino's staff slight bonuses goes a long way.

I don't want to give the guy a 10 year extension. Just show him the support this Administration needs to do.

Dino is the first HC we have had in a long time that I believe fully gets college football and knows where it is going.
That's the thing.

They definitely give me the feeling of a proactive approach to recruiting rather than reactive, which is generally the sense I had in years past. The secondary recruiting and how aggressively they tried to immediately solve that problem in the offseason (JUCO AA, 2 solid grad transfers) - they clearly get it and are doing what is necessary to get the job done.

I said pay the man. Just slight bump as we can leave room for more as the wins happen.

Dino inherited a roster that was bottom of the P5 in talent and below several G6 schools.

With the momentum of recruiting giving Dino's staff slight bonuses goes a long way.

I don't want to give the guy a 10 year extension. Just show him the support this Administration needs to do.
I like dino. He has been here one year. There is no rush to give him more $$ at this time. Let's see what this year looks like.

I agree. You are gonna have to put your faith in someone. Lets say he goes 6-6 this year. The price for him jumps. An act of good will now, on a smaller scale, goes a long way in terms of generating allegiance and protects in terms of price down the road. From what we have learned we basically have three years guaranteed before he can break free. The admin love him, and I believe they will thoroughly try and hold him as long as possible. The fact that we have the most staff members, including GA in the league, leads me to believe they want to win as badly as we do.

If he gets us to a bowl with this schedule - someone will come after him.

You can re-up now or take your chances. But I think those weekly lunches with Wildhack are super important.

If he gets us to a bowl with this schedule - someone will come after him.

You can re-up now or take your chances. But I think those weekly lunches with Wildhack are super important.
Yep - if he can get to 6-6 with this schedule (maybe even if he doesn't but shows major improvement), immediately after the season you re-do the contract. Open the bank, but put a big buyout clause in it.

As far as top 40 - I looked at Rivals final results from last class. Basically, in a 20 person class which is where it seems we're tracking to, you'd need 3-4 4 stars and the remainder of the class to be all 3 stars, with maybe 1 or 2 2 stars depending on how many 4 stars you land. We're more or less tracking to that right now, but looking at the prospects we're involved with, I don't see the additional top 300, 4 star type kids that we have a really strong shot with, as of right now to get us there in the end.

A lot can happen though. We could have guys get upgraded, and maybe Dino pulls a surprise with the team and outperforms expectations, allowing the staff to flip some already committed blue chip type prospects. Both Rutgers 2011 and 2012 classes ended up top 35 and were made on them taking advantage of a Pitt coaching change in 2011 that led them to a couple of additional 4 stars they never would have landed and in 2012 them staying on a couple of kids they landed late that no one ever thought they had a chance with.

If we go bowling this year teams will come calling for Dino and he has only stayed 2 years in his last 2 jobs.

That is why I would give him more money now as good faith and not even give him a reason to want to move on.

Give his staff small bonuses now. We know Dino gets it.