Does anyone actually know why G doesn't... | Syracusefan.com

Does anyone actually know why G doesn't...

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
shoot much more?

I mean he's gotta work on driving the lane and scoring inside and finishing on layups/dunks.

But the kids mid range/perimeter shot looks smooth as can be. I have a feeling that if he took 4 or 5 more shots a game, he could be our 2nd legitimate perimeter threat that could take this team from good to great even before February.

Anyone?

He passes and moves the ball well enough, pretty solid defender and rebounder as well.

Because there are better options on offense than G

So far yeah, but we haven't seen him play with confidence yet. I'm not saying change anything. I just want to know if there's a real reason why G is strictly pass first. I'd say he's past up 50% of his wide open 3's this year at least.

Clearly Grant, Cooney and Fair are better scoring options. But is having another scoring option that bad? I'm not asking for him to jack up 10 shots a game.

I dont have a problem with him shooting either

I dont have a problem with him shooting either
Just seems like he either hasn't worked up the confidence yet, or he's staying close to a role JB has chosen for him. I wouldn't change anything, we're 9-0. I just find it weird haha

shoot much more?

I mean he's gotta work on driving the lane and scoring inside and finishing on layups/dunks.

But the kids mid range/perimeter shot looks smooth as can be. I have a feeling that if he took 4 or 5 more shots a game, he could be our 2nd legitimate perimeter threat that could take this team from good to great even before February.

Anyone?

He passes and moves the ball well enough, pretty solid defender and rebounder as well.

Agreed. While everyone else is looking for upside from the bigs, having G really emerge would be HUGE for us. Give us a 2/3 that could really do damage off the bench, and not just fill in minutes. He also could give us a bookend forward with CJ if we wanted to go small or have better ballhandlers on the floor. I'd like to see some more dependable FT shooting out of him as well.

Agreed. While everyone else is looking for upside from the bigs, having G really emerge would be HUGE for us. Give us a 2/3 that could really do damage off the bench, and not just fill in minutes. He also could give us a bookend forward with CJ if we wanted to go small or have better ballhandlers on the floor. I'd like to see some more dependable FT shooting out of him as well.
How his 3 stroke is so smooth and his ft is so poor, I don't know.

IMHO he's trying to be a point guard and distribute. Not a natural thing for him.
My guess is he knows JB has a quick hook w guys who are new and he doesn't trust so he looks tentative and cautious out there, ESP at an unnatural position for him like pg. once he relaxes and starts just playing the game he will be fine. The same thing happened to cooney last yr and he was at his natural position. Look at TC so far this yr, like night n day. The people who criticize MG as being a bust are way off base IMO, they will see it later this yr or next...

I actually do know. But I've been sworn to secrecy.
09shane.xlarge1.jpg

He is just getting his game back after not playing last year and barely playing at Duke. Give him some time to get comfortable. I'm happy where he is right now in his development.
He's already surpassed my expectations from a guard point of view.

I would guess that both he and particularly JB, want to see him getting comfortable and competent at the PG position in all the aspects other than shooting. I think once that happens, you'll see G looking for his shot.

He doesn't have the green light unless he's wide open.

Wish he'd done a better job on that dunk, though. Gbinije mostly looked good last night, but he's got to get the points when they're there.

He doesn't have the green light unless he's wide open.

Wish he'd done a better job on that dunk, though. Gbinije mostly looked good last night, but he's got to get the points when they're there.

The dunk and the missed pass out of bounds to Xmas were the only noticeable mistakes I've seen him make all season.

The dunk and the missed pass out of bounds to Xmas were the only noticeable mistakes I've seen him make all season.

Didn't mind the pass (Boeheim seemed to...loudly). Christmas got held, what can you do? Just glad to see an entry pass attempted.

The dunk...yikes. Maybe he remembered Cooney's Indiana play and heard footsteps and tried to take off too early.

probably wanted to take off from his right foot on the dunk nothing more then that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom