Does baseball have a problem with viewers? | Syracusefan.com

Does baseball have a problem with viewers?

Alsacs

Living Legend
DDtKMFMXUAA9XR3

Baseball viewers are older by a decent amount to football and basketball.
Madden last year sold 5.5 million copies.
MLB the show sold 782k copies.

DDtKMFMXUAA9XR3

Baseball was boring to begin with, but in the last few years the whole game is about strikeouts and home runs. There is much less hit and run, base stealing, moving the man over, etc. A lot of the strategy of the game has been taken away, and now it's just power pitchers and home run hitters.

The pace of play had already been a problem, but now about 1/3 of all plays (maybe more) wind up without a ball being put into play. It's the sport with the least action. And some people bash soccer for that reason, but there's a hell of a lot more going on in soccer, if you know what to watch for.

DDtKMFMXUAA9XR3

I think the trend is probably more an issue. baseball has older viewers than the NFL or the NBA, that's fine in general. It's possible baseball as a sport simply appeals more to older people. But the jump from 06 to 16 has to be a little concerning.

That said, how do they figure this? At Bat is a fantastic app, are more people just watching it via that and they aren't being counted as much? (Assuming this is tv viewers, but obviously I could be wrong)

DDtKMFMXUAA9XR3

If those numbers reflect reality (and I'm not sure they do), baseball isn't the only sport with issues with aging viewership.

It appears to me that sports viewers in general are getting older...look at the chart, the average age went up in every sport, except WTA Tennis. Which tells me that the average age of all sports viewers is steadily going up...

Wonder how much video games are driving up the average ages.

It appears to me that sports viewers in general are getting older...look at the chart, the average age went up in every sport, except WTA Tennis. Which tells me that the average age of all sports viewers is steadily going up...

Or is it a problem of how they generate the data? Do they capture my son watching on his phone, for example? Do they look at national numbers (ESPN) for the games where it's also broadcast on NESN and I'm watching that because I'd rather hear the local guys?

Or is it a problem of how they generate the data? Do they capture my son watching on his phone, for example? Do they look at national numbers (ESPN) for the games where it's also broadcast on NESN and I'm watching that because I'd rather hear the local guys?
Without seeing the methodology used in that study, I'd be reluctant to draw any conclusions about those numbers.

At some point over the past 5-10 years my interest in baseball has dissipated. I still follow casually, but they days of me watching games every night are over. Some of that is the guys I was really into following(90's-oughts Yankees) are all long gone and a bigger part of it is I just don't have the time at this point in my life to dedicate 3 hours a day to watching a game. I also value being outside on the weekends during the summer and most games on the weekend are during the day.

Baseball is a the best sport on the radio. John and Suzyn (unfortunately) always accompany me on weekend afternoons.

My apologies, I love listening to the Yankee games sometimes just to hear the goofy things that those two will say.

i think the issue is the younger generation only wants to stream stuff and wants it all to be free also it seems. NFL is where MLB was just 10-15 years ago.. is the whole younger crowd not watching anything? Tv in general is declining, they cant be all playing video games and using social media?

wonder what happens in 10 years if all sports are close to 60+.

DDtKMFMXUAA9XR3

Nothing is surprising about this report, except for the WNBA viewers. I thought they were targeting younger females. I guess that's not working. Also, I wonder if UFC is grouped in with boxing. I would think the UFC would trend younger.

I was big into the Yankees during the Core 4 years. Could care less about baseball now. I'm 33 years old and watch Football, Basketball and some Soccer.

Opening Day is during the NBA Playoffs.

The "dog days of summer" are boring af and dominated by NBA Free Agency.

The MLB Playoffs are when the NFL starts.

They have no time of the year where anyone focuses on baseball and to top it off, half the players don't speak English. I don't have a problem with that but I guarantee you a lot of kids can't identify with them while growing up.

The children of the 40+ million Spanish speakers in the US might.
That's right. About 1/6 of the US population is Hispanic today. By 2050, about 30% of the US population will be Hispanic. I think baseball will be okay here.

The children of the 40+ million Spanish speakers in the US might.
We'll see. I worked in the restaurant industry for about 10 years and none of those Spanish speakers (or children of) are baseball fans. They all follow La Liga and know the top NFL and NBA players.

As the Latino fun and flash culture gradually overtakes old white guy sensibilities, the game will become more appealing to young people.

The most devastating blow to mlb in my opinion has been the loss of African Americans (players and fans). I think the gains in Latino and Asian markets assures the sports long term viability, but I'm sure MLB would love to get its merchandise back in Hip Hop videos.

Anybody that has a problem with pace of play in baseball couldn't be football fans.

And I'm at the point that I don't watch any football anymore, except SU and if the Giants make the playoffs. Huge soccer fan now. I watch probably 3 or 4 full Premier League games each week, along with Champions League games of interest. Very little MLS, but occasional, and of course the US men's national team.

Baseball is a the best sport on the radio. John and Suzyn (unfortunately) always accompany me on weekend afternoons.

Yes, baseball on the radio is better than radio on TV, by a long shot. Perfect for a BBQ, on the deck or poolside. You don't have to be listening every minute and can still keep up with the game.

And I'm at the point that I don't watch any football anymore, except SU and if the Giants make the playoffs. Huge soccer fan now. I watch probably 3 or 4 full Premier League games each week, along with Champions League games of interest. Very little MLS, but occasional, and of course the US men's national team.
I am the same. I flip on Sundays for FF purposes. Not vested in NFL .. and less so every year. Goodell has been great for owners, not the fans.

I love BPL. Too bad NBC is going to that up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom