Does NCAA BBall have a great deal of parity this year. | Syracusefan.com

Does NCAA BBall have a great deal of parity this year.

M

Manleymen

Just seems that a lot of upsets are taking place this year more than usual. And a lot of teams like SU despite its non ranking have the ability though not yet proven - to knock off top tier teams. Just look at Duke, Gonzaga, N. Carolina et Al. I think it is going to be a wild up and down year in the ACC and the USA In general. Call me crazy but I am a believer that having mentioned the above, Just as Cuse lost a lot of close games last year - the tide could turn and Cuse can finish in the top five if not higher. It is December madness, before March madness. And is it because of the easy transfer portal rules?

we had 4 games come down to the wire and 3 blowout wins

2 we missed the shots late and went to OT and went 1-1
1 we won at ND when we scored and ND missed a late shot
1 we lost when Bryant made a late shot after we took the lead

2 games we played like crap and lost

5-4 could easily be 7-2 or 3-6..

young teams needs to learn how to play those types of games

Just seems that a lot of upsets are taking place this year more than usual. And a lot of teams like SU despite its non ranking have the ability though not yet proven - to knock off top tier teams. Just look at Duke, Gonzaga, N. Carolina et Al. I think it is going to be a wild up and down year in the ACC and the USA In general. Call me crazy but I am a believer that having mentioned the above, Just as Cuse lost a lot of close games last year - the tide could turn and Cuse can finish in the top five if not higher. It is December madness, before March madness. And is it because of the easy transfer portal rules?

The problem is Syracuse's and the ACC's December/November Madness will make it extremely difficult for Syracuse to even sniff March Madness.

A poor OOC combined with a 5th place finish in the ACC this year, gets you a middle seed in the NIT,

Last edited:
I don’t know about parity, just different teams than you’re used to seeing at the top. Virginia and Purdue are really really good, UConn unfortunately is hammering Florida in Gainesville as I type this, and Houston may be really good, we will see Saturday how real they are against Alabama. There’s some great teams just not the usuals, but you are right there is room for movement under that.

This year is interesting. Used to be Gonzaga was a sure bet on a -35.5 spread. Now, you wonder if they can cover -12.5. I found out they could not. I think that a lot of teams have the 4th/5th/6th/7th year players and it has made a huge difference in having the teams converge to a mean.

I believe this team as young and we will get better as the season progressed. Also would love to finish 5th in the ACC. That would mean we have 14-6 or a 13-7 ACC record. That is a 8/9/10 seed in the NCAA's.

Go CUSE

We need to win all eight games against Pitt, BC, Georgia Tech and Notre Dame. And build from there. Hope to split in the other twelve ACC games. Then our ACC record will be 14-6. If we don't have another OOC loss, then our overall record will be 21-10.

Hate to say this but UConn looks fantastic, its early but they have all the pieces to go all the way, that team fits together nicely and plays with a mission... got to tell it like it is...

It’s their best team in almost fifteen years. They should be excited.

This year is interesting. Used to be Gonzaga was a sure bet on a -35.5 spread. Now, you wonder if they can cover -12.5. I found out they could not. I think that a lot of teams have the 4th/5th/6th/7th year players and it has made a huge difference in having the teams converge to a mean.

I believe this team as young and we will get better as the season progressed. Also would love to finish 5th in the ACC. That would mean we have 14-6 or a 13-7 ACC record. That is a 8/9/10 seed in the NCAA's.

Go CUSE

You can't assume a 14-6 or 13-7 record in the ACC gets us such a seed. The ACC is about as good as it was last year in OOC -- maybe jut a tad better, as the stumbling Big East helps.

Last year Wake was 13-7 in the ACC, and had only one loss OOC (to LSU, a tourney team). Their OOC did not stink like ours, although the quality of their OOC wins were about as bad as it could get. They were right on the bubble line entering the tournament - nowhere near an 8/9 seed. And then blew it vs BC in the first round of the ACC tourney.

A few things to note (us vs Wake)
- Wake's worst OOC loss was to a 6 seed in LSU. We already have WTH bad losses to Bryant and Colgate.
- Wake did have a terrible OOC win profile - one of the worst ever - so many sub 270 team. But even if we win out we have nothing good in our OOC. Those 7 wins would be against teams with a current record of 20-39.

Last edited:

And any Syracuse fan would trade their last 15 years for ours.

As for the next however many years.. who knows

You can't assume a 14-6 or 13-7 record in the ACC gets us such a seed. The ACC is about as good as it was last year in OOC -- maybe jut a tad better, as the stumbling Big East helps.

Last year Wake was 13-7 in the ACC, and had only one loss OOC (to LSU, a tourney team). Their OOC did not stink like ours, although the quality of their OOC wins were about as bad as it could get. They were right on the bubble line entering the tournament - nowhere near an 8/9 seed. And then blew it vs BC in the first round of the ACC tourney.

A few things to note (us vs Wake)
- Wake's worst OOC loss was to a 6 seed in LSU. We already have WTH bad losses to Bryant and Colgate.
- Wake did have a terrible OOC win profile - one of the worst ever - so many sub 270 team. But even if we win out we have nothing good in our OOC. Those 7 wins would be against teams with a current record of 20-39.
It will be interesting to see how the ACC shakes out once the OOC is over. If last night is any indication, then I think the league might be in for a few more W T F losses.

Miami wins by two over Cornell (Miami favored by 14.5)
Notre Dame wins by six over Boston University (ND favored by 14)
Clemson wins by five over Towson (Clemson favored by 7)
Pitt loses by one at Vandy (Vandy actually favored by three, Pitt played ok, but Vandy is Vandy and no matter what will generally struggle in the SEC).

Last edited:

Yeah. Not many weaknesses on that team with Hurley acting like a normal person all the sudden. They have looked as good as anyone in the top 10 this year. They could be sitting at #1 soon and it would be hard to argue against.

Yeah. Not many weaknesses on that team with Hurley acting like a normal person all the sudden. They have looked as good as anyone in the top 10 this year. They could be sitting at #1 soon and it would be hard to argue against.
I have to bite my tongue to say that , but you’re right, and I watch too much hoops, and live in CT so I’m hamnered with my friends talking them up at work and I tune in so many times just to so I can say “ ha ha” the next morning, but they are destroying pretty good teams every f’in night. Not good. But I guess, kudos? Gives me hope for a rebuild. If they can we certainly can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom