Does Syracuse football spend enough to win the ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Does Syracuse football spend enough to win the ACC?

Its amazing to me that in 2003 we spent more than any school on the list other than Miami. How was that? I assume we were still paying on the Dome or something but that still seems strange to me. We don't spend too much differently now than the rest of the teams other than a couple. Nothing wrong with spending a little more money but it should be spent wisely. We need to get this program moving in a positive direction again. I obviously think its well worth it to pay Babers a good bump if we start winning this year. Retaining a good coach easily pays for itself. Obviously what we spend will go up once we upgrade our facility.

My take away:

1) You can complain about the percentage increase since 2003, but the fact of the matter is Syracuse is still spending more on football than a number of its ACC brethren

2) If it takes spending $49 million/year in football to compete with the number 1 schools, then that is foolishness.

3) Had no idea that Cuse football was that close to spending just as much as the biggest spender (OSU) in 2003! Quite an eye opener

It's not how much you spend but how you spend it. What does it take spendingwise to build a winner?

Minus Clemson, Florida, and Miami, it seems pretty comparable. Wouldn't have guessed that.

It's not how much you spend but how you spend it. What does it take spendingwise to build a winner?

Not according to that article. The point being, the more you spend the greater likelihood you will be very good and be in championship games.

Don't you have to first spend in order to spend wisely?

So we're spending on par with the Joneses' but performing like basement squatters...is anyone else upset about that?

Wait. I've been told that the erosion of the program that began in the early 2000's was due to lack of investment in the program. Where was this money being spent, if we weren't able to keep up with the Jones' at the time?

Well we had two headcoaching gigs that each did their best to set us back a decade.

We’re on the up now.
That doesn't explain the preGerg slide that we were experiencing.

Without looking, it’s because of scholarships.

I can almost guarantee that a good chunk of that number is a fake cost.

You should look then. Doing some rough math, it wouldn’t move the needle much as to our placement amongst the schools.

You should look then. Doing some rough math, it wouldn’t move the needle much as to our placement amongst the schools.
170 scholarships at private school prices doesn’t move the needle much?

I realize we’re talking about 2003, but for context, I heard tuition at SU is $65k when it’s all said and done, $45k of that is just schooling (vs. books, food, rent, etc.). The 45k number is 7.6 MM, plus another 3.4 MM for the rest.

I don’t see a world where 11 MM is meaningless w/ today’s expenses, even 7.6 MM (arguably the ‘fake’ cost), or the 5 MM, which is arguably the cost difference between public scholarships and private scholarships.

The same was true in ‘03. It’s not like SU switched from being public to private.

170 scholarships at private school prices doesn’t move the needle much?

I realize we’re talking about 2003, but for context, I heard tuition at SU is $65k when it’s all said and done, $45k of that is just schooling (vs. books, food, rent, etc.). The 45k number is 7.6 MM, plus another 3.4 MM for the rest.

I don’t see a world where 11 MM is meaningless w/ today’s expenses, even 7.6 MM (arguably the ‘fake’ cost), or the 5 MM, which is arguably the cost difference between public scholarships and private scholarships.

The same was true in ‘03. It’s not like SU switched from being public to private.

What am I missing here? 170 scholarships? It’s 85.

And SU tuition isn’t $65k. It’s $45k. The average tuition at ACC schools is just under $40k. There are 4 schools whose tuition is more than SU.

So my math says 85 x ~$6k = $510k. If you look at each schools football budget that’s not going to move the needle in comparison. Not at all.

And SU tuition isn’t $65k. It’s $45k. The average tuition at ACC schools is just under $40k. There are 4 schools whose tuition is more than SU.

So my math says 85 x ~$6k = $510k. If you look at each schools football budget that’s not going to move the needle in comparison. Not at all.
The one cost the Syracuse football and basketball programs have that most do not is the cost of operating the Carrier Dome. I believe the university charges the sports programs that use it a lot of money, mainly for heating, maintenance and insurance.

The one cost the Syracuse football and basketball programs have that most do not is the cost of operating the Carrier Dome. I believe the university charges the sports programs that use it a lot of money, mainly for heating, maintenance and insurance.

That is true. But I wonder how many “millions” it would be for 6 football games. And although less, I wonder if and how much other schools charge for the use of their facilities.

I looked at it this way. At Syracuse the Coast of Attendance for next year is $70,000 +/-. Multiply that by 85 scholarships for football and you've got a little over $6,000,000.

At Clemson the Cost of Attendance for an Out-of-State students is $47,000. For in-state the cost is $26,000. Being quite conservative, say there are 40 South Carolina students and 45 from out-of-state. That comes to roughly $3,000,000.

So you have at most a $3,000,000 difference in scholarship costs between Clemson and SU. Where is the really big money difference coming from? I'm sure we all have a pretty good idea.

Last edited:
So basically, our share of the ACC's TV contract with ESPN pays for the football program. All other football revenue pays for...something else.

all other football revenue pays for other sports not named men's basketball

Tuition, R&B is $68.5 give or take $1000. Plus COA.

Tuition, R&B is $68.5 give or take $1000. Plus COA.

I know that. My kid goes there. We’re comparing tuition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom