Doesn't get any better than this! | Syracusefan.com

Doesn't get any better than this!

BillSU

All American
At the age of 76 and in the 45th year of coaching Syracuse basketball, many think that Jim Boeheim is nearing the end of his coaching tenure and looking retirement square in the face. But on ‘The Herd with Colin Cowherd’ on Wednesday, Boeheim — who is preparing to coach in his 20th Sweet 16 — made it clear what his plans for retirement are.

“I’m coaching until I can’t win anymore. I’ve said that for 10 or 15 years,” Boeheim said. “I remember my AD a long time ago, I was 60, he said, ‘Well, you’re going to get out pretty soon, aren’t you?’ I think I was 58. I said, ‘Well, I’m not really thinking about that and I’m not thinking about it now. If we can win — I feel great, do a little palates, it’s been good for me, a little swimming.

“But I’m going to coach — Warren Buffet still goes to work every day, doesn’t he? And he’s what, 90? All he does it talk to people; all I do is talk to people. That’s all I do. I don’t have to get out and dig any ditches or run up and down the court. If I can keep winning, keep getting good players to come to Syracuse, I feel like I’ll coach for a while. I really do.”

Some had recently been thinking that Boeheim could be on that downward slope of his career because of the team’s recent success on the court. Syracuse lost in the first round of the tournament in 2019 and while there was no NCAA Tournament last year, the Orange were not likely to be in the field after an 18-14 season. Even this year, the NCAA Tournament looked questionable, as the Orange were one of the final teams to get into the field.

But all that Syracuse needed was a shot in the field. The Orange were red-hot in the first round of the tournament against San Diego State. And then the Orange squeaked out an upset win over West Virginia to earn a spot in the Sweet 16 against Houston. This trip to the Sweet 16 furthers Boeheim’s belief that whatever critical words are being said about him and the program are irrelevant.

“Maybe the next coach will be better. That’s great,” Boeheim said after the win over West Virginia. “I’ll be happy to see that. But I do not worry about what anyone says in Syracuse. I learned a long time ago. My guidance counselor in eighth grade told me, ‘Jim, you’re not going to please everybody.’ He must have known I was going to be a coach.”

Bill, did you write this? Whoever wrote this is a writer. Well done!

It is difficult for me to conceive of someone who lives, drinks, eats and breathes his job the way Boeheim does. The tenacity is incredible. He is also taking such a risk, I believe, because he’s stating that he will quit when he fails. He is saying he will leave when he is heading down. I would think he would want to leave while he’s on top.

He can’t imagine not having the passion for his work. I loved my work, and I did good work, but I was ready to retire and I felt satisfied, for the most part, that I did much more good than harm. And I was done. But he is not done. As someone might say, “Amazing!”

(And I have the sneaking suspicion that he wants to go out with more victories than K.)

At the age of 76 and in the 45th year of coaching Syracuse basketball, many think that Jim Boeheim is nearing the end of his coaching tenure and looking retirement square in the face. But on ‘The Herd with Colin Cowherd’ on Wednesday, Boeheim — who is preparing to coach in his 20th Sweet 16 — made it clear what his plans for retirement are.

“I’m coaching until I can’t win anymore. I’ve said that for 10 or 15 years,” Boeheim said. “I remember my AD a long time ago, I was 60, he said, ‘Well, you’re going to get out pretty soon, aren’t you?’ I think I was 58. I said, ‘Well, I’m not really thinking about that and I’m not thinking about it now. If we can win — I feel great, do a little palates, it’s been good for me, a little swimming.

“But I’m going to coach — Warren Buffet still goes to work every day, doesn’t he? And he’s what, 90? All he does it talk to people; all I do is talk to people. That’s all I do. I don’t have to get out and dig any ditches or run up and down the court. If I can keep winning, keep getting good players to come to Syracuse, I feel like I’ll coach for a while. I really do.”

Some had recently been thinking that Boeheim could be on that downward slope of his career because of the team’s recent success on the court. Syracuse lost in the first round of the tournament in 2019 and while there was no NCAA Tournament last year, the Orange were not likely to be in the field after an 18-14 season. Even this year, the NCAA Tournament looked questionable, as the Orange were one of the final teams to get into the field.

But all that Syracuse needed was a shot in the field. The Orange were red-hot in the first round of the tournament against San Diego State. And then the Orange squeaked out an upset win over West Virginia to earn a spot in the Sweet 16 against Houston. This trip to the Sweet 16 furthers Boeheim’s belief that whatever critical words are being said about him and the program are irrelevant.

“Maybe the next coach will be better. That’s great,” Boeheim said after the win over West Virginia. “I’ll be happy to see that. But I do not worry about what anyone says in Syracuse. I learned a long time ago. My guidance counselor in eighth grade told me, ‘Jim, you’re not going to please everybody.’ He must have known I was going to be a coach.”
Squeaked out? That’s one way to put it. The WV final was close, but if either JG or Buddy make another free throw it’s a comfortable win. The telling sign to me that they can keep winning was when they lost the lead at what, the 5 or 6 minute mark? But took it right back. That refuse to lose can make up any talent gaps they may face, and with more defined roles and everyone contributing now, another FF is not out of the question! Well written.

JB will retire on his own terms.
"until I can't win anymore" is a phrase without a clear definition-
It keeps everyone guessing -possibly JB's intention!

It is difficult for me to conceive of someone who lives, drinks, eats and breathes his job the way Boeheim does. The tenacity is incredible. He is also taking such a risk, I believe, because he’s stating that he will quit when he fails. He is saying he will leave when he is heading down. I would think he would want to leave while he’s on top.

He can’t imagine not having the passion for his work. I loved my work, and I did good work, but I was ready to retire and I felt satisfied, for the most part, that I did much more good than harm. And I was done. But he is not done. As someone might say, “Amazing!”

(And I have the sneaking suspicion that he wants to go out with more victories than K.)
No, I did not write it. The substance of the article came from his interview with Colin Cowherd on his show the Herd. The article came through in an email and I did not take the time to identify the writer(s).
I believe it answered a lot of questions for people on this board about JB's longevity going forward.

The last paragraph is true of so many good leaders. coaches, CEO's, etc. "you can't please everyone".
But I believe he's pleased so many it really doesn't matter how many are calling or continually call for his departure. He doesn't care and that's good - he just keeps on winning, 1083 and counting - this includes the 101 vacated wins that of course the NCAA must believe were never played. We all watched the games and the 101 wins. You don't make them magically disappear because a committee says so.

Dasher and Dancer and Vixen and the rest of the reindeer aren't going to enjoy reading this.
What did anyone ask for that isn’t being done now, and largely responsible for the current streak?

What did anyone ask for that isn’t being done now, and largely responsible for the current streak?
Benching Buddy
Don’t draw up iso’s for Buddy
Benching Joe
Marek isn’t a 5, can never be a 5
We don’t recruit well enough
We don’t develop players well enough

Benching Buddy
Benching Joe

My take was, if something isn’t working, take the guy out and put someone else in. Use the bench. If we’re going to struggle and lose, then let the on court experience and development of the young guys be the silver lining. Some people may have wanted a player cast off into the abyss, but most just wanted what we are seeing now and recognized this potential all season.

Benching Buddy
Benching Joe

True. I have read all these things here numerous times. The Joe comments even went so far as to claim he wasn't an ACC player and would be better suited to transfer to a low tier school.

Buddy developing into what he has become is a direct result of Jimmy's sticking with him through the struggle. He would not be playing at this confident level if he was benched throughout the season or not allowed to shot his way out of a slump.

I would add playing Griff at he 2G at the expense of Buddy's minutes. Given how much difficulty Griffin has playing defense at SF I fully agree with Jimmy he would struggle at 2G.

Cuse

`The part they won't enjoy is him staying on for the foreseeable future.

He is going to coach long enough for buddy to Be the new HC

`The part they won't enjoy is him staying on for the foreseeable future.
JB? I guess some. I certainly don’t speak for anyone but myself, but I was terribly frustrated earlier in the season. We were dying out there with options rotting on the bench. “They weren’t ready.” Didn’t sit well with me, because my personal feeling was that giving the young guys some run would give some players rest while giving others an opportunity for growth.

JB? I guess some. I certainly don’t speak for anyone but myself, but I was terribly frustrated earlier in the season. We were dying out there with options rotting on the bench. “They weren’t ready.” Didn’t sit well with me, because my personal feeling was that giving the young guys some run would give some players rest while giving others an opportunity for growth.
All of this has been analyzed ad nauseum. The people that still hold this position are the definition of jaded. 300 plus teams and fan bases would give up a whole lot to have won the first 2 rounds and still be dancing at the Sweet 16 gala.

beadle, thought I'd get back to you about the article I posted as I found that it was written under the banner of CuseNation by Riley Gates on March 24, at 3:48 P.M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom