Doing the Oregon college tour thing...any recreation tips (coast esp.)? | Syracusefan.com

Doing the Oregon college tour thing...any recreation tips (coast esp.)?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
My son is applying to 9 colleges, and every single one of them is on the west coast. We've already done the CA schools, and the AZ schools. Last visit before application day is the 3 Oregon Schools on his list. Im trying to figure out how to combine our August trip and tours of U of O in Eugene and OSU in Corvallis with, potentially, some coastal time.

Plan is to do a coupld days in Portland, visit Portland State, then head downstate for 3-4 days to do U of Oregon and Oregon State.

Does anyone have any familiarity with Oregon who can provide some tips? Seems like the nearest coastal points are about 90 min from Corvallis and Eugene. I can do that drive, but no idea if those coastal points are a destination...hotels? Etc.

My son is applying to 9 colleges, and every single one of them is on the west coast. We've already done the CA schools, and the AZ schools. Last visit before application day is the 3 Oregon Schools on his list. Im trying to figure out how to combine our August trip and tours of U of O in Eugene and OSU in Corvallis with, potentially, some coastal time.

Plan is to do a coupld days in Portland, visit Portland State, then head downstate for 3-4 days to do U of Oregon and Oregon State.

Does anyone have any familiarity with Oregon who can provide some tips? Seems like the nearest coastal points are about 90 min from Corvallis and Eugene. I can do that drive, but no idea if those coastal points are a destination...hotels? Etc.
The Oregon coast is probably my favorite place in the country. You can't go wrong anywhere really but personally my favorite place is Depoe Bay. It's not far north on the coast from Corvallis. Last time I was in OR I spent a week on business in Salem, I stayed in Depoe Bay, it was about an hour drive but by 6pm I was walking on the beach every day. Anyhow...Depoe Bay has a nice little harbor you can take whale watching trips, depending on time of year there are restaurants lining the cliffs overlooking the ocean and the whale show comes to you! It is actually called "The whale watching capital of Oregon"! Not far south of Depoe Bay is Agate Beach where you can search for agates on the beach, very appropriately named. Several hotels overlook the ocean up and down the coast, but don't expect to actually be on the beach. Most places are on the cliffs overlooking the ocean but have trails/stairs you can walk down to the beach.

Small piece of personal trivia, when I was 10 on one trip to Depoe Bay we watched boats offshore for several days filming a movie we were told. One day we went down to the harbor to look at the boats and ended up playing with a couple huge german shepherds for about 30 minutes that were on the dock with some guys just hanging around. Their owner came by, apologised that he needed to take the dogs with him. I looked up and was staring straight into the face of one of my favorite actors at the time...Michael Douglas, star of Streets of San Francisco! The guys I was "hanging out" with along with the dogs that were unknown to me at the time, Jack Nicholson, Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, etc. They were filming the fishing scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!

Enjoy your trip!

Just came back from a week trip to Portland. While in Portland DO NOT stay downtown. Super depressing to see how bad the city is now. Shops are still boarded up, and there are homeless folks' tents everywhere. I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Portland. We were there looking at the possibility of moving to Portland, and our time there convinced us otherwise.

We visited O of U and Oregon State and both were very cool. Good luck to your son.

Just came back from a week trip to Portland. While in Portland DO NOT stay downtown. Super depressing to see how bad the city is now. Shops are still boarded up, and there are homeless folks' tents everywhere. I stayed at the Embassy Suites Downtown Portland. We were there looking at the possibility of moving to Portland, and our time there convinced us otherwise.

We visited O of U and Oregon State and both were very cool. Good luck to your son.
Interesting. This is a good and timely tidbit. We were looking at downtown hotels earlier today, and that one in particular

We have about 3/4 of the trip booked. We have a resort in Newport OR for a few days , and will just drive to UofO and OSU.

I still need to figure out the Portland hotel situation for the time we are there.

Last edited:
We have about 3/4 of the trip booked. We have a resort in Newport OR for a few days , and will just drive to UofO and OSU.

I still need to figure out the Portland hotel situation for the time we are there.
Lake Oswego