Dome operations need to catch up | Syracusefan.com

Dome operations need to catch up

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
On field product is obviously improving. Tailgate and festivities outside are getting there. Even entry in seems to be improving. Once inside though...the in game video and on field pieces are woeful. The TD dance had promise, but got screwed up at the end, the Lisa woman I'm sure is talented but adds nothing. Concessions still bad. Second qtr there should not be a wait as hot dogs aren't cooked, and the place should never run out of bottled water. The game day building operations are a clown show and not winning fans back. The team deerves better and so does the fan.

On field product is obviously improving. Tailgate and festivities outside are getting there. Even entry in seems to be improving. Once inside though...the in game video and on field pieces are woeful. The TD dance had promise, but got screwed up at the end, the Lisa woman I'm sure is talented but adds nothing. Concessions still bad. Second qtr there should not be a wait as hot dogs aren't cooked, and the place should never run out of bottled water. The game day building operations are a clown show and not winning fans back. The team deerves better and so does the fan.
Against Wagner, I missed the first touchdown and interception waiting for hot dogs to get ready. They told me five minute wait, that turned into 15-20. I asked for my money back and they just said five minutes. I was furious. How can they run out of hot dogs before kickoff, when attendance was sub 30? They are painfully slow to process orders. By far a terrible experience, and if some Joe Blow was coming to game for a one off experience, they'd leave unsatisfied with the service.

When it comes to the concession stands, doesn't SU allow for local groups to make money for their charity/teams/groups and since this is so, isn't it their fault hot dogs were not cooked? I don't want an SU staff as this is a wonderful way for them (HS/groups) to make money.

As for the water, I agree that they should have known it was going to be hot and whoever orders that should now be told to NEVER allow for that again,

When it comes to the concession stands, doesn't SU allow for local groups to make money for their charity/teams/groups and since this is so, isn't it their fault hot dogs were not cooked? I don't want an SU staff as this is a wonderful way for them (HS/groups) to make money.

As for the water, I agree that they should have known it was going to be hot and whoever orders that should now be told to NEVER allow for that again,
I agree on the charities but it's SUs job IMHO to make sure the concessions function. If charities can't handle some pros need to be in helping

I agree on the charities but it's SUs job IMHO to make sure the concessions function. If charities can't handle some pros need to be in helping

The parents and kids are doing their best and sometimes unfortunately they end up being short of volunteers or just are not as prepared as we would like. Please have patience with them because this isn't their main job and some are just trying their best.

Maybe SU can have someone see over them...they possibly do already, I'm not sure.

The parents and kids are doing their best and sometimes unfortunately they end up being short of volunteers or just are not as prepared as we would like. Please have patience with them because this isn't their main job and some are just trying their best.

Maybe SU can have someone see over them...they possibly do already, I'm not sure.
I am sure ADJW is smart enough to realize you’re better off optimizing the concession (increase efficiency, revenue, profit) and then give a portion to charity. The 50-100% in efficiency will more than make up for whatever they let the charities keep I bet.

This is why I like having a Corporate guy as a an AD. Customer friendly and know how to run a business. I think he is waiting for the renovation before upheaving the operations. Taking care of a lot of other stuff first, then i expect dome operations and dorms/dining.

Last edited:
Regardless of who is running what, ultimately: running out of water is 100% unacceptable. It’s actually dangerous. You can’t have people sitting in a 90 degree sauna bubble and not have water.

The Dome has water fountains. No charge.

You can even refill an empty bottle if you choose.

Lower Level Concourse by aisle 104, 113, 119, 128
Upper Level Concourse by Gates; L, K, J, H, M, N

Against Wagner, I missed the first touchdown and interception waiting for hot dogs to get ready. They told me five minute wait, that turned into 15-20. I asked for my money back and they just said five minutes. I was furious. How can they run out of hot dogs before kickoff, when attendance was sub 30? They are painfully slow to process orders. By far a terrible experience, and if some Joe Blow was coming to game for a one off experience, they'd leave unsatisfied with the service.

I am sure ADJW is smart enough to realize your better off optimizing the concession (increase effiency, revenue, profit) and then give a portion to charity. The 50-100% in efficiency will more than make up for whatever they let the charities keep I bet.

This is why I like having a Corporate guy as a an AD. Customer friendly and know how to run a business. I think he is waiting for the renovation before upheaving the operations. Taking care of a lot of other stuff first, then i expect dome operations and dorms/dining.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying skibum, that it's better for SU to make more money in concessions and be more efficient than help worthy causes? I get what you're saying about things changing in the future but I hope it doesn't include shutting out this type of benefit to the community.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying skibum, that it's better for SU to make more money in concessions and be more efficient than help worthy causes? I get what you're saying about things changing in the future but I hope it doesn't include shutting out this type of benefit to the community.
Re read my first sentence, particuarly the end “then give a portion to charity”

Re read my first sentence, particuarly the end “then give a portion to charity”

Agree if it gives as much or more as it currently does. SU doen't have to search for people to work part time and pay them either which does benefit the school as it is hard enough to find peple who might just want to work for 6 to 7 games a year. Their job recruiters have enough on their plate with turnover.

Agree if it gives as much or more as it currently does. SU doen't have to search for people to work part time and pay them either which does benefit the school as it is hard enough to find peple who might just want to work for 6 to 7 games a year. Their job recruiters have enough on their plate with turnover.
Obviously you make sure the charities are getting the same $$$ or more.

And they don’t need new workers, they just take the dining hall workers and give them dome shifts. They do this for all events (along with the charitable work). The dome shifts are picked up quickly because they pay overtime or special rate or something I forget.

Anyways this is from a few years ago when my mother used to run several dining halls and dining centers over the course of 15 years (put us kids through school). So this information is straight from the horses mouth FYI.

The Dome has water fountains. No charge.

You can even refill an empty bottle if you choose.

Lower Level Concourse by aisle 104, 113, 119, 128
Upper Level Concourse by Gates; L, K, J, H, M, N

Really... this is the “were the only horse in town” mentality. Dont run out of bottled water. Thats a floor/minimum requirement and not even debateable. Im sure it wont happen again.

And they don’t need new workers, they just take the dining hall workers and give them dome shifts. They do this for all events (along with the charitable work). The dome shifts are picked up quickly because they pay overtime or special rate or something I forget.

Anyways this is from a few years ago when my mother used to run several dining halls and dining centers over the course of 15 years (put us kids through school). So this information is straight from the horses mouth FYI.

You're correct. I knew a few people who worked the Carrier Dome during games. You're running a business at the end of the day and it reflects poorly on the University to have this happen.

With that said, they really ran out of water? That's inexcusable. If people can complain or give feedback, that needs to be mentioned so that it never happens again.

They had water but according to a person in the concession stand I talked to the cases were in the basement of the dome and they could not get them through the packed hallways.

I have a feeling the 50% off discounts prior to kickoff have increased sales of food & beverages at football games which led to this problem.

Also they are not used to packed hallways for football games.

The charities that man the concession stands do the selling and waiting on customers, but I don’t think they cook anything. SU does that in a central location I believe. Hot dogs, pizza, pop corn, etc.

The charities that man the concession stands do the selling and waiting on customers, but I don’t think they cook anything. SU does that in a central location I believe. Hot dogs, pizza, pop corn, etc.

Gotcha.

That makes sense if SU can get them the OT and would work out for a lot of people. Thanks for the knowledge and appreciate the behind the scenes info.

I dont think there has been any venue i have been too that didnt run out of food/water at some point. LSU/Miami both did last year causing long waits. the new dome changes will help alot with this kind of thing

I dont think there has been any venue i have been too that didnt run out of food/water at some point. LSU/Miami both did last year causing long waits. the new dome changes will help alot with this kind of thing

I can see food. That’s not really a big deal.

I just don’t see how it happens with water. Just order so much “extra” so that it’s not really possible. It’s not like it’s going to expire.

as i said miami and lsu ran out of water too.. and i was in the season ticket club at the miami game, Water is just because of the poor design of dome concessions.

They had water but according to a person in the concession stand I talked to the cases were in the basement of the dome and they could not get them through the packed hallways.

I have a feeling the 50% off discounts prior to kickoff have increased sales of food & beverages at football games which led to this problem.

Also they are not used to packed hallways for football games.

Your feeling is spot on. I had people in line in front of me ordering 8 bottles of water. That said, no excuse for running out when the weather forecast for days before predicted what the conditions would be like, And minor point, but the AD has virtually nothing to do with concessions. Dome Operations reports up through facilities, not the Athletic Department.