Dome Renovation | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

CuseLegacy

Free Article

October 28, 2015

Major Dome Renovations Underway?
Scott Brown

CuseConfidential.com

A few weeks ago CuseConfidential.com received information pertaining to the options that Syracuse University was weighing when it came to what the venue for future events would be. The source who indicated that Syracuse was considering a slew of changes, asked that the information be kept until after the board considered the options in November. However, with Syracuse.com reporting on the issue and leaking some of the information, it seems as if now is as good a time as ever to fill our members in on some privy inside information.

According to the source, the university is highly considering keeping the main sports arena on campus and remodeling and renovating the Carrier Dome. From what we gather, the bidding process for the project is underway as we speak and could range in the upper hundred million dollar range with a projection between $400 and $500 million dollars. Syracuse, which has been considering moving the venue to a downtown location, seems to have cooled on that idea and is now looking towards retaining an on campus dome.

From what we have heard, the university is looking to make the Carrier Dome more modern and aesthetically pleasing from the outside, and one of the most modern facilities on the inside. Below is a beginners list of what could possibly be on the table when the board reviews the options in November.

• Three of the sides of the Dome would be expanded:

On the east side, Archbold Gymnasium would become attached to the current structure and renovated to include new basketball courts and other sports features as well as a "museum" to honor the rich tradition and history of Syracuse University Athletics.

To the north, the Dome would eliminate Crouse Dr. and would expand into the Faulk College of Sport and Human Dynamics where new additions are to be made.

To the west, the Dome will push out to Irving Ave where a 6 to 8 story hotel and parking garage would be attached to the dome, much like the Rogers Center in Toronto. It is unknown if the rooms will overlook the field or not.
  • The south side of the dome will become larger as well to keep the symmetry, but also to expand the concourse and allow for the renovation of new concession stands (which is a point of emphasis with the expansion of the three other sides as well). This will not affect SUNY ESF in any way.
  • The locker rooms are to be expanded, renovated, and updated.
  • The roof would look less like a big balloon and more like a solid, metal structure. Again, modeled perhaps after Lucas Oil Stadium, windows around the outside of the roof will allow natural sunlight to enter the stadium. The idea of having the roof retract is still on the table but to a much smaller scale.
  • Luxury boxes are to be renovated and more added.
  • Seating is to be changed, reconfigured, and more added.
  • The stadium would have both a football field and a basketball court permanently built. The basketball court would be "stored away" during football games but moved mechanically to lie over the football field when needed. The entire process would be automated including the moving of the seating for basketball games.
  • Whether or not the new Carrier Dome will be equipped with air conditioning is not known at this time.

The process would begin as soon as the basketball season ended and would most likely continue beyond the start of the 2016 football season creating numerous problems. One of the biggest is what Syracuse will do for their home games? Bussing the team to Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo seems to make the most sense if the scheduling can match. MetLife Stadium shouldn't be off the table for consideration and it would seem as if the University of Buffalo's Stadium is too small (at 29,000 capacity). There will certainly be many avenues explored to make the situation the best that it can be. Whatever the decision, the athletic department is sure to meet backlash from the fans. In the long run, the changes that are on the table are exactly what the aging concrete structure needs to make Syracuse a more inviting venue for recruits, players, and fans from all over.

So this is pretty much what I said two months ago was happening and I was blasted by most people on this forum for not knowing what I'm talking about. Give me a second to bask in this.
I'd just like to direct you to my post above where I point this out.

So this is pretty much what I said two months ago was happening and I was blasted by most people on this forum for not knowing what I'm talking about. Give me a second to bask in this.
Yup, and people wonder why they don't post inside info

Interesting time table.. does it actually happen that quick?

I was told this is happening in phases and only one football season would be lost. The roof is going up over the existing dome and the walls would be prefabed. What takes the longest is all the finishing work and let's be honest it's still going to be a concrete stadium so there isn't much of that. It would be tight but the stadium portion should be done for basketball that's almost 9 months.

C&S is the local company that is doing some engineering designs on the hard top roof.

COR...HA!

Expanding seating? I only hope that means making seats wider for those who take up more than one seat. 44k orange seats, please.

could be expanding to more usable seats for basketball, if that makes any sense..

holy sheet, if true. Great...I guess.

But to spend that much while addressing zero the propects of an even worse parking situation likely, and to not have it downtown near destiny which would help Syracuse in general and also would take care of the parking issue and simultaneously create a potentially special tailgating environment, while spending this much $, which I think could build a whole new venue, to not have it where you can hit a home run and hit all the bases strikes me as shortsighted and nuts.

But no surprise really to have a lack of foresight. A baseball stadium like situation (though not as bad)...shocker, NOT. And to increase the capacity? Crazy talk. I know I have no foresight or vision to dream. Gonna love and can't wait to see 25-30,000 seats empty instead of the current 20-25,000. :bang:

Last edited:
Yup, and people wonder why they don't post inside info
I think sometimes people who post inside info can be a little thin-skinned. If you know something to be fact, then there's no reason to respond to or even give any thought to posts questioning what you say. In this case, I remember a one or two people saying it must still be a rumor and others questioning the practicality of doing what was said. If that's what we're talking about, then it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that "I was blasted by most of the people on this forum".

Either way, I appreciated the info that was passed along.

As described this is a massive project well beyond anything projected on this board. I can't see how this takes less than 2-3 yrs. I imagine it is going to need all of the state money promised for the new stadium. I like the fact they are staying on campus with a multi sport facility. It really keeps us unique.

$400 million vs. original cost of $20 million (say about $90sh million in CYD). Shouldn't there be some point when Carrier has to say thanks for 35 years of pub and let someone else fork over naming right money?

I hope all this is true but I think some of it is pie in the sky. I said a while ago new hardtop, more boxes and archbold gym expansion. Was told again this weekend new hard top and a dress up.

When I specifically asked about wider concourses the response was basically people are going to have to suck it up.

The above is probably the full monty bid but short term not what I'm hearing is going to happen.

Would obviously hope for it though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom