Don’t think this has been talked about | Syracusefan.com

Don’t think this has been talked about

Cuse_NYC

Starter
But is there any chance Maliq bolts now that Benny is returning? We’re in a day and age where everyone wants to start. More than likely, with Benny returning, I assume he will start over Maliq. I guess if Judah leaves and we are sort of stuck, we can go Benny and Maliq with hopefully Jesse at center? With Judah, I expect the 5 to be Judah, JJ, Bell, Benny, Jesse.

Some would assume Benny has more to work for, minutes-wise, than Maliq.. And we don't really know how much position conflict/competition there will be between the two under Autry.

I think the fact that none of our freshman forwards has entered the portal is good news. They may be waiting to see if a transfer comes in that would limit their role. Only the coaching staff has any real idea what these kids will be doing. The true test will be when SU brings in a forward that will be an upgrade over who we have now. This will probably take weeks to play out which for us fans is frustrating.

The two most important players that we have to worry about are Judah and Jessee. Especially with Judah, this could take awhile to play out. Jessee, from what I've read, is concerned about his NIL deal. That seems to be something that could be addressed at any time.

But is there any chance Maliq bolts now that Benny is returning? We’re in a day and age where everyone wants to start. More than likely, with Benny returning, I assume he will start over Maliq. I guess if Judah leaves and we are sort of stuck, we can go Benny and Maliq with hopefully Jesse at center? With Judah, I expect the 5 to be Judah, JJ, Bell, Benny, Jesse.
Just remember how much it hurt the team not portalling a forward last year. If Red did the same, it would really be a crapshoot. Even if Jesse comes back, to really improve, we need another experienced guard and forward.

If we want to bring in an experienced forward with scoring ability, somebody is going to have to leave. If we run it back with the same frontcourt as last year, it would be mildly disappointing. We need some bulk, rebounding ability and/or more scoring prowess.

185B9F9A-1456-40B0-9EAE-3C4388026323.jpeg

His mom says the grind continues…

Pretty sure Maliq will be back

Taylor??? Who knows with him.
Portal looks crowded. They both hit a wall badly late in the year which to me suggests they can’t waltz into a good P5 program and start next year.

Not sure why everyone assumes Benny gets a much bigger role than either.

Portal looks crowded. They both hit a wall badly late in the year which to me suggests they can’t waltz into a good P5 program and start next year.

Not sure why everyone assumes Benny gets a much bigger role than either.
Because he came back. He wasn’t coming back unless Red gave him some assurance of this.

Plenty of minutes to go around if our three primary forwards are Benny, Chris, and Maliq. I think only a starting caliber portal guy might scare somebody off.

Assuming Judah come back, Taylor can be the third guard for most of his minutes with some SF mixed in.

EDIT - I forgot to put Cope in them mix. Cope can compete for minutes as well, but I don’t see that changing the equation in terms of scaring anybody off.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom