Don McPherson points the finger of blame for 0-5 finish | Syracusefan.com

Don McPherson points the finger of blame for 0-5 finish

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
“With the Syracuse team last year, there were some disruptions in the coaching staff and personnel. Sometimes you can make that one wrong move in one of those areas and you can lose the team. And I think that’s what happened with SU. I don’t know what it was internally, but I believe that last year’s team stopped communicating with each other. It was very evident in the games I covered for SNY that you didn’t see that positive non-verbal communication happening. You saw a lot of hands in the air after plays which meant they weren’t communicating during plays.”

Do you think he was giving his opinion without facts? Was he talking about Conley & Brumbaugh?

Do you think there was any truth to his statement?

Disruptions In The Coaching Staff And Personnel Doomed 2011 Orange

Didn't Lyn get into a fight with a coach last year and then sent home? That was a pretty bad sign.

Well IMO the biggest issues on D where coverage related. And that falls on the DB coach (Shafer). We had 2 DL and 2 LB coaches last year. Not sure how you could point to the guys who were let go as an issue. Plus the fact that we brought in a DB guru to replace them seems to tell me where the issue was on D. Also the D was an issue all year long even at 5-2. Nothing really changed there.

What did change was the O. They went from decent to abysmal. And McPherson is a former QB so maybe he was referring to the O. Also remember that we moved Hackett to the field at the end of the season so he can have better communication and interaction with the players. But if this is the case there really is no excuse when your HC is an offensive guy.

“With the Syracuse team last year, there were some disruptions in the coaching staff and personnel. Sometimes you can make that one wrong move in one of those areas and you can lose the team. And I think that’s what happened with SU. I don’t know what it was internally, but I believe that last year’s team stopped communicating with each other. It was very evident in the games I covered for SNY that you didn’t see that positive non-verbal communication happening. You saw a lot of hands in the air after plays which meant they weren’t communicating during plays.”

Do you think he was giving his opinion without facts? Was he talking about Conley & Brumbaugh?

Do you think there was any truth to his statement?

Disruptions In The Coaching Staff And Personnel Doomed 2011 Orange

The staff issues and the team breakdown are two different things. I don't think it's at all fair or accurate that Marrone "lost the team".

What seems to have happened is that there was some splintering within the team, not between the team and the staff, and the staff and the team leadership weren't able to address it during the year. The talent on this program isn't close to good enough to not have everyone pulling together. That's why there is so much emphasis on unit leadership and working communication so that issues are raised and addressed properly.

When I think of "lose the team" it means the team as a whole quits on the coach, stops trying, and stops listening. I don't think that was the case at all.

Marrone has indicated that part of the problem at the end of the year that was caused by him was focusing too much on getting that one additional win, and caused the team to play tight.

I think there was splintering within the locker room with units pointing fingers at each other (which is common during losing streaks).

I've also seen it happen when certain kids are getting PT and other players maybe don't feel they deserve it. This can cause animosity and divisions (camps).

Phil also got booted for an alleged drug test failure. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that caused division within the locker room. Not the booting but the activities leading up to it. No facts to back that up but for anybody's who's been there before, you know if you have a certain element of teammates who are partying a lot (especially during a losing streak) you're bound to have teammates not getting along so well.

It didn't ever appear to me though that the kids quit playing...and same as Go, 'lose the team' to me is when the kids quit on the coach, stop playing, stop listening and give up. Team didn't do that in my eyes.

keep in mind, you don't lose locker rooms and have much internal strife when you're winning.

Also could be that last year's team just wasn't very good.

Sometimes it's just that.

I heard there was conflict between old (G-Rob's holdovers) and Marrone's recruits.

I heard there was conflict between old (G-Rob's holdovers) and Marrone's recruits.

The Young Bucks vs. the Old Stallions in the Octagon?

Not to get carried away with speculation but where there is smoke there is usually fire. Perhaps this is the reason DM decided he needed to do something like the Fort Drum experience to build teamwork and leadership. Closing practice was for something more than a few new formations. It sounds as if something significant got inside that locker room and resulted in 2 coaches gone, closed practice and Ft Frum.

I'm just saying.

Surprised someone like Donnie brought this stuff up. Some of that and more was brought up last year and some denied it. Second year it has happened to some degree.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Not to get carried away with speculation but where there is smoke there is usually fire. Perhaps this is the reason DM decided he needed to do something like the Fort Drum experience to build teamwork and leadership. Closing practice was for something more than a few new formations. It sounds as if something significant got inside that locker room and resulted in 2 coaches gone, closed practice and Ft Frum.

I'm just saying.

As far as I know, the staff changes had nothing to do with anything other than wanting to upgrade the staff and free up Shafer.

Also could be that last year's team just wasn't very good.

Sometimes it's just that.

There's a huge leap from "not very good" to 1-6 in the Big East.

You don't go from a downright pasting of a Top 20 team to dropping 5 straight to mediocre-at-best competition without some issues that go beyond just not being very good.

The team did not quit against Pitt.

I remember reading about Lyn (allegedly) telling someone that he hopes they lose so they don't have to go to a bowl game.

Surprised someone like Donnie brought this stuff up. Some of that and more was brought up last year and some denied it. Second year it has happened to some degree.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nassib went to the papers with it, with about 2 or 3 games left to go.

I think there was splintering within the locker room with units pointing fingers at each other (which is common during losing streaks).

I've also seen it happen when certain kids are getting PT and other players maybe don't feel they deserve it. This can cause animosity and divisions (camps).

Phil also got booted for an alleged drug test failure. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that caused division within the locker room. Not the booting but the activities leading up to it. No facts to back that up but for anybody's who's been there before, you know if you have a certain element of teammates who are partying a lot (especially during a losing streak) you're bound to have teammates not getting along so well.

It didn't ever appear to me though that the kids quit playing...and same as Go, 'lose the team' to me is when the kids quit on the coach, stop playing, stop listening and give up. Team didn't do that in my eyes.

keep in mind, you don't lose locker rooms and have much internal strife when you're winning.
How can you be 5 - 1 and then lose 5 straight? All hell had to be breaking loose in the locker room to the point of the program falling apart.

You don't go from a downright pasting of a Top 20 team to dropping 5 straight to mediocre-at-best competition without some issues that go beyond just not being very good.

I remember reading about Lyn (allegedly) telling someone that he hopes they lose so they don't have to go to a bowl game.

I remember being at Heinz Field, watching the Orange battle back from a big, early deficit - fight to very end of the game - and almost pull out a win.

There was nothing alleged about that.

That was pure fact.

The team didn't quit.

I remember being at Heinz Field, watching the Orange battle back from a big, early deficit - fight to very end of the game - and almost pull out a win.

There was nothing alleged about that.

That was pure fact.

The team didn't quit.

That really doesn't prove anything.

Also disconcerting since Lyn is a Marrone recruit.

Once you get into that cycle of losing it's hard to get out of it. We basically couldn't stop the run and teams just started punching us in da mouth! I personally thought our guys looked smallish on the DLine last year and I'm encouraged by all the beef we got going this year - just hope they can all play.

Now I'm just worried about the Oline both today and the lack of recruits for next year.

The staff issues and the team breakdown are two different things. I don't think it's at all fair or accurate that Marrone "lost the team".

What seems to have happened is that there was some splintering within the team, not between the team and the staff, and the staff and the team leadership weren't able to address it during the year. The talent on this program isn't close to good enough to not have everyone pulling together. That's why there is so much emphasis on unit leadership and working communication so that issues are raised and addressed properly.

When I think of "lose the team" it means the team as a whole quits on the coach, stops trying, and stops listening. I don't think that was the case at all.

Marrone has indicated that part of the problem at the end of the year that was caused by him was focusing too much on getting that one additional win, and caused the team to play tight.
i disagree.marone did not maintain a team concept and players looked confused,disheartened, and disinterested.. there was no team in "team".

What does that matter? Not every single recruit you bring in will be a success and buy in to what your trying to do. This shouldn't be any surprise at all, happens in a every real life scenario.

W Va game was one of those night s where everything went right, it happens, and it made these guys think they were better then they were. Hopefully everyone learned from the experience . If you remember we were not a ball of fire before that game.

That really doesn't prove anything.

I see.

So, lets put your analysis together.

An alleged hearsay statement by a player impresses you more than the actual performance of the team at Heinz Field during the final game of the year.

Wow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom