Don't be afraid of the downside... | Syracusefan.com

Don't be afraid of the downside...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
What's the difference between losing 17-13 or 49-17? A loss is a loss, right? The great thing about this scheme that Babers runs is that it tilts the playing field in SU's direction. It takes a talent gap, and makes it less pronounced. It gives the Orange an opportunity to destroy our peer teams, and compete with our aspirant teams.

The downside to that (as in life) is that it doesn't always work. Sometimes it backfires. Playing conservatively, your plan can not work and you might mitigate damage, and lose 24-16. You kept it close.

The Baylor plan isn't conservative. It's downright crazy. It's frenetic, it never backs down, it always believes it can win. This isn't a half measure system. So when things go bad in a game, it can go really bad.

The 2013 Baylor Bears were cruising in the regular season, blowing out Oklahoma 41-12. They were 9-0, and poised to reach the national championship. En route to that NC was a huge away game against #11 Oklahoma State. The game had it all, fast paced teams, great coaches, and an amazingly hyped stadium. Problem was, Baylor's offense never got it together that day. Down 14-3 at half, they had their doors blown off in the second half.

Thing is, traditional football knowledge would say "CHANGE THE GAME PLAN! Slow it down, milk the clock, make it close!" This game plan is NOT traditional. Even down 35-3, Baylor was running five wide, fast paced. They never thought they would lose, they always thought they would come back. They didn't, they lost 49-17. But as I said in the beginning, if you're going to lose, what's the difference between 17-13 or 49-17? It's still a loss. The question is whether you have complete faith (belief without evidence) in your system.

We have a system, and Babers and the team believe in it. There will be some smackings this year, be ready for it. But it won't be because we gave up, it'll be because we believe fully in what we're doing, and think it can always bring us back.

Last edited:
Well said.

There is a difference in margin of defeat when you play to keep it close. In that circumstance getting your doors blown off is cause for serious concern. 56-0 rings a bell here, I imagine.

But if the goal is to play balls to the wall and win then you are right, differential isn't important. It's win or lose.

I agree, but also for another reason. We know it takes awhile for the players to fully master Babers' offensive system. We could come out and look putrid this week, but it shouldn't be cause for any bandwagon-jumping.

By the second half of the season, we shouldn't be anybody's pushover. We just need a little patience, and we can expect history to repeat itself.

I'd also add, the way we play now will force our opponents to play a complete game in order to beat us. They're going to have to score, because we won't stop trying. They're going to have to defend, because we'll use all 4 downs and we're not trying to flip the field or play the possession or field position game.

You can't take breaks against us anymore.

There is no more improvement than between game one and game two.

And we even saw improvement on defense from the first to the second half of Colgate.

So full speed ahead against Louisville and lets see what happens.

IMO...Louisville could be the best team SU plays this year and this will be quite the challenge. I'm very excited for this game and do expect some ups and downs as the season progresses but I know it's going to be a helluva ride.

The idea that we have a big game at the Dome is exciting. It's seems like it's been a long time since people were excited about a home game. Let's hope the community comes out in big numbers to support this team. This game should be close to a sell out.

You saw some of the young talent out there in the 1st game, Neal, Riley, showed a bit of what they might become. Butler definitely looks the part, if he can catch the ball, or end up as a running back, great speed can change games.

We are now the opposite of what Addazio is doing. BC just tries to keep the score close for perception purposes. They are a lot worse than their stats. That can have an impact on fan support and even recruiting. If we are going balls to the wall the a L is a L. That wasn't the case with our past 4 HCs were a blowout was a warning sign, but in those cases they were conservative HCs. I think that in time the chances of a blowout L will be few and far between. But in the meantime hopefully the fans and even recruits will understand.

These are good points. It will take some discpline on the part of the fans. Reality is, there will be serious angst here if the team gets blown out. This scheme can and probably will lead to a blow out or two because if your offense goes 3 and out a few times in a row, the defense is going to get worn out fast. Picture a long opponent scoring drive followed by a 1 minute 20 second 3 and out and then another long scoring drive. A second quick 3 and out would put the D in an impossible situation. But I agree with the sentiments here, that essentially we are in a position as a program to just say F it and go for it. All in on the new style.

These are good points. It will take some discpline on the part of the fans. Reality is, there will be serious angst here if the team gets blown out. This scheme can and probably will lead to a blow out or two because if your offense goes 3 and out a few times in a row, the defense is going to get worn out fast. Picture a long opponent scoring drive followed by a 1 minute 20 second 3 and out and then another long scoring drive. A second quick 3 and out would put the D in an impossible situation. But I agree with the sentiments here, that essentially we are in a position as a program to just say F it and go for it. All in on the new style.
By the same token we are going to blow people out we never have before, and some of them will be very good teams.

This game should be close to a sell out.
brick-lol.gif

Shootouts are way more likely than blowouts, IMO.
Go look at the first two years Briles took over. They got bum rushed a good half dozen times by more talented teams. It's the nature of the system. Not saying that it's a one for one thing with Baylor, but we probably will lose our composure in the system at some point this year, in at least a couple of games.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom