Don't fret: ACC Network is Moving Forward..and other plans | Syracusefan.com

Don't fret: ACC Network is Moving Forward..and other plans

arbitragegls

All Conference
Well it is time to revisit and to confirm that the ACC Network is moving forward...perhaps not at the speed of light we would like..but certainly in a reasonable time-frame. And for all of you with doubts concerning implications of the GOR being tied to the ACC Network--NO IT WAS NOT. The GOR for all purposes is in effect; and its duration has nothing to do with the ACC Network coming to fruition.

Additionally, as indicated in the CBS article below, the ACC is most likely putting up some of the money out of its coffers to help defray the cost of content that Raycom/Fox has (this is one of the issues discussed with ESPN at Spring Meetings). It will not be on the cheap. But the buyout will be made/ or positive compromise worked out with production etc. (indicated that this negotiation is moving along).

Even though this article has some pros and cons to the ACC Network, I am being assured it is moving forward (more later).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...3/acc-network-still-in-early-stageswhats-next

It also appears that at minimum one present and/or new member of the ACC will be placing a LAX team into the conference ranks shortly. This is one reason why the ACC was not overly active in bringing in JHU LAX. As explored in the JHU Conundrum thread, I believed that going after JHU LAX was a means to provide a temporary stop to B1G further entering the middle of the ACC...but it has been indicated that the team(s) to bring LAX will cover the conference for auto tournament bid--as if the LAX teams need an auto due to strength the five teams already have...as well as surround the area that Maryland leaves (why hasn't Maryland officially withdrawn from the ACC yet?).

IMHO...a mistake to let JHU slip into the B1G. Anyways I hope the ACC can add 1-3 schools for Lax. FSU, Louisville, VTech, GTech, NCSt and BC all good candidates.

I was told two years ago that BC was exploring the possibility of bringing back men's LAX.

And that the cost would be about $35 million - to accomodate scholarships, coaches, facilities and Title IX.

Wow.

Great stuff as always Arb, your last sentence is interesting. Why hasn't Maryland formally withdrawn? Are they waiting for the lawsuit? Having second thoughts? Etc?

IMHO...a mistake to let JHU slip into the B1G. Anyways I hope the ACC can add 1-3 schools for Lax. FSU, Louisville, VTech, GTech, NCSt and BC all good candidates.

I suppose this is sacreligious to say on an SU board, but lacrosse is meaningless, in th big media picture. The notion that the B1G established a meaningful presence in ACC territory by adding JHU lacrosse is utterly ludicrous.

The Game of Thrones stuff that gets bantered about here at times is over the top. The B1G merely added the best available school to get an autobid, apparently because not enough B1G schools have any interest is fielding teams. I hope no one is suggesting this was part of some sinister, market-driven strategy. For years Loyola played in the BE women's league, right? I mean its almost the same thing.

I suppose this is sacreligious to say on an SU board, but lacrosse is meaningless, in th big media picture. The notion that the B1G established a meaningful presence in ACC territory by adding JHU lacrosse is utterly ludicrous.

The Game of Thrones stuff that gets bantered about here at times is over the top. The B1G merely added the best available school to get an autobid, apparently because not enough B1G schools have any interest is fielding teams. I hope no one is suggesting this was part of some sinister, market-driven strategy. For years Loyola played in the BE women's league, right? I mean its almost the same thing.

Thank god someone said it.

So what you're saying is that the proposed scheduling alliance with the Big 12 is the NCAA version of the Red Wedding?

So what you're saying is that the proposed scheduling alliance with the Big 12 is the NCAA version of the Red Wedding?
F a scheduling alliance with the Big XII shoot for the SEC. The SEC will want good non-conference games for their network and 4 of the 14 schools already have rivalries between the conferences just an SEC-ACC football challenge each year with other 10 of 14 teams with the 4 already scheduled matchups.

Disagree on JHU, there a shadow of what they were back in there hay day. They have won 2 titles since 1988, yes thats right two. While I disagree with Scooch below that Lacrosse is meaningless I do agree with him that the B10 adding JHU is nothing but a small blip on the radar in the ACC vs B10 war.

I largely agree. Meaningless is a little harsh. It's gaining in popularity and fills a tier 3 role for a relative dead spot for any network moving forward.

Content is king. Much like this board in April-May - football is Spring game and a bunch of nothing.

Disagree on JHU, there a shadow of what they were back in there hay day. They have won 2 titles since 1988, yes thats right two. While I disagree with Scooch below that Lacrosse is meaningless I do agree with him that the B10 adding JHU is nothing but a small blip on the radar in the ACC vs B10 war.

Meaningless in respect to media and markets.

Not disparaging the sport.

I largely agree. Meaningless is a little harsh. It's gaining in popularity and fills a tier 3 role for a relative dead spot for any network moving forward.

Content is king. Much like this board in April-May - football is Spring game and a bunch of nothing.

It's gaining participatory popularity. Think soccer a couple decades ago. Soccer is still struggling to be a media relevant sport, and it's years ahead of lacrosse.

lax=useless

johns hopkins= <useless

lax=useless

johns hopkins= <useless

Lax will be ACC Network Filler and is currently on ESPN/2/U

While not a revenue sport yet...it gives you TV exposure.

JHU and SU are the two biggest Lax brand names.

Just an FYI, make sure ESPN is aware that SU still counts our 1990 NCAA Championship in any recap of our legacy(BTW that is an inside joke just so people are aware).
LAX powers are SU, JHU, UVA, Princeton and recently Duke with 2 NCs and 7 straight Final Fours.

Just an FYI, make sure ESPN is aware that SU still counts our 1990 NCAA Championship in any recap of our legacy(BTW that is an inside joke just so people are aware).
LAX powers are SU, JHU, UVA, Princeton and recently Duke with 2 NCs and 7 straight Final Fours.
Alsacs, I nominate you to go over to the boneyard R board and let them know the bad news about the acc tv network still being an option.

Alsacs, I nominate you to go over to the boneyard R board and let them know the bad news about the acc tv network still being an option.
Honestly, I haven't been on that board in over week after they got into a war with Louisville fans. I used to feel bad for them, but a bunch of them are so butthurt I can't read their board anymore.

I'm 39 and I can't imagine lacrosse will be a "revenue sport" in my lifetime. College baseball is FAR more popular and it's not a revenue sport.

And JHU may be a great diehard lax fan brand, but they don't appeal to a broader audience. Part of the college lax challenge is that many of its top programs are from private, small alum/fan base schools. Basically the opposite of college baseball.

College Revenue Sports:
1. Football

2. Basketball

3. Baseball

4. Hockey

5. Lacrosse

IF (big if) the ACC plans to bring in a partial member for lacrosse (have I mentioned I hate partials?) then it should have been JH. The geography was right. The history was right.

I had to laugh the other day that talked about the rich lacrosse tradition of the three eastern B1g schools: PSU, Maryland and Buttgers. Maryland? Yes? The others? Please!

I'm 39 and I can't imagine lacrosse will be a "revenue sport" in my lifetime. College baseball is FAR more popular and it's not a revenue sport.

And JHU may be a great diehard lax fan brand, but they don't appeal to a broader audience. Part of the college lax challenge is that many of its top programs are from private, small alum/fan base schools. Basically the opposite of college baseball.

You can make a little money on Lacrosse and Baseball. It is by all means much smaller than football and basketball. The stadiums are smaller too, or if you play lacrosse in a football stadium the crowds are. UVA played lacrosse in Ohio State's football stadium last year, and the crowd was swallowed by empty seats. It looked ridiculous. Maybe Gordon Gee can get them a real lacrosse stadium with "more money than God" before he leaves Ohio State next month.

I think baseball season tickets at UVA are $175.00 - $200.00 depending on the section in the stadium and Lacrosse $50.00. Then again there are more baseball games played. It's not as much as football and basketball, but it's something.

With the advent of ESPNU and the conference networks, virtually all of the "non-revenue" sports are becoming revenue sports. Maybe they don't pay for themselves, but each and every one of them bring a few more eyeballs in. No, it isn't big-time sports, but it is little-time, and that is a step up from no-time.

Lacrosse has the advantage of being a spring sport. Soccer cannot compete with football, but college basketball junkies will continue to find lacrosse to be far more compelling than baseball when April and May come around.

As for lacrosse dynasties, they just don't make them like they used to. There really are a dozen contenders now every year, instead of just four or so. JHU is still one of the usual twelve, but it's not one of the usual four.

College Revenue Sports:
1. Football

2. Basketball

3. Baseball

4. Hockey

5. Lacrosse
I disagree with this after the Men's Final Four and BCS Championship game the Lacrosse Final 4 gets more people than the CWS. or NCAA hockey tournament. Its more like this
1. Football

2. Basketball

3. Lacrosse

4. Baseball

5. Hockey

Well it is time to revisit and to confirm that the ACC Network is moving forward...perhaps not at the speed of light we would like..but certainly in a reasonable time-frame. And for all of you with doubts concerning implications of the GOR being tied to the ACC Network--NO IT WAS NOT. The GOR for all purposes is in effect; and its duration has nothing to do with the ACC Network coming to fruition.

Additionally, as indicated in the CBS article below, the ACC is most likely putting up some of the money out of its coffers to help defray the cost of content that Raycom/Fox has (this is one of the issues discussed with ESPN at Spring Meetings). It will not be on the cheap. But the buyout will be made/ or positive compromise worked out with production etc. (indicated that this negotiation is moving along).

Even though this article has some pros and cons to the ACC Network, I am being assured it is moving forward (more later).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...3/acc-network-still-in-early-stageswhats-next

It also appears that at minimum one present and/or new member of the ACC will be placing a LAX team into the conference ranks shortly. This is one reason why the ACC was not overly active in bringing in JHU LAX. As explored in the JHU Conundrum thread, I believed that going after JHU LAX was a means to provide a temporary stop to B1G further entering the middle of the ACC...but it has been indicated that the team(s) to bring LAX will cover the conference for auto tournament bid--as if the LAX teams need an auto due to strength the five teams already have...as well as surround the area that Maryland leaves (why hasn't Maryland officially withdrawn from the ACC yet?).

In the RAYCOM buyout, how much money do you think Swoffords son will get?