Dont know about anyone else but Saturday is gonna tell me a lot. | Syracusefan.com

Dont know about anyone else but Saturday is gonna tell me a lot.

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Based on what I have seen the first two weeks and the posts by GO, Bees and others I still feel confident about this team and the ability to show us that they maybe an upper echelon BE team for the first time in four years under Marrone. That being said to me the performance and score I see Saturday is personally going to tell me a lot about where this team is at.

Lets be honest, Stony Brook is no pushover for a 1AA they have two outstanding running backs, one who should be playing at the D1 level and one who led the B10 in rushing before getting kicked out of Iowa. There a NY school and this game is going to be there super bowl and I am sure the coaching staff has been pumping up every NY guy on the roster that this there chance to get back at SU for not offering them. They also just pounded something called Pace university 70-0.

That all being said this is still a 1AA team who got blown out by Buffalo last year, BUFFALO. We just played for the most part toe to toe with one of the best teams in the nation. This is a game where by the mid part of the the third quarter the game should not be in doubt. This shouldnt be a repeat of Colgate in 09 where the 1AA holds the ball for 70% of the game and makes the game unwatchable. This team from what we have seen so far and in year four under Marrone should dominate this team from the word go. Its clear SB has to run the "heck" out fo the ball to have any chance, theres no Lee and Woods at WR this week we should be able to stack the box and punish these guys.

I am not looking for an epic beatdown by any means but I dont think at this point in the Marrone tenure that I am askign to much to beat a 1AA by 3+ touchdowns so we can actually sit back and enjoy a game in the second half and watch some of the young guys get some PT. This game should be 42-14 or something similar with SU in control from kickoff, if this is a repeat of the Rhode Island game where the game is close or a one score game into the fourth quarter I think we need to re-assess whether or not the corner is turned.

We need to win this handily enough to get our backup qbs more than one series.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

We absolutely have to be in control of this game from the start.

Anything else will be a disappointment and a bad sign.

No reason to not score on 75% of drives.

Agree completely. That is what should happen.

What concerns me is that 2 games into the season, IMHO, the offense is ahead of the defense. Moreover, the DL, which I thought would be a real strength, is getting pushed around a bit. Not like in past years, but for all the beef that has been added, I'm surprised SU is not making it really hard to run against them. And, of course, that is what Stony Brook wants to do. Crume was MIA, Goggins got 3 tackles, Bromley got 4, Jones did in fact get in for 1, no Walls in evidence. Not all that comfortable going into this, especially given the let-down factor, and the aforementioned motivation for the FCS team.

We absolutely have to be in control of this game from the start.

Anything else will be a disappointment and a bad sign.

Agree 1000% anything resembling a close game into the 4th quarter will have me highly dissapointed. I know as someone else mentioned there is the let down factor of going from USC game to Stony Brook but were on a 7 game losing streak and havent won since somewhere around Halloween, it shouldnt be hard to get up for a W for the first time in nearly a year.

Typically Marrone has used games against 1AA teams to get the running game going. I expect to see the same next week and would not be surprised to see us score less than 40 points and Nassib to have under 300 yards.

What concerns me is that 2 games into the season, IMHO, the offense is ahead of the defense. Moreover, the DL, which I thought would be a real strength, is getting pushed around a bit. Not like in past years, but for all the beef that has been added, I'm surprised SU is not making it really hard to run against them. And, of course, that is what Stony Brook wants to do. Crume was MIA, Goggins got 3 tackles, Bromley got 4, Jones did in fact get in for 1, no Walls in evidence. Not all that comfortable going into this, especially given the let-down factor, and the aforementioned motivation for the FCS team.

Agree with what you are saying but I think the D line was a bit overrated going into the season based on looking what we had on paper and the size of these guys that make us look like an NFL team. Jones and Walls aren't getting regular PT and as you noted Walls isnt playing at all. Bromley is doing what he can but he is surrounded by a lot of young players like Crume, Robinson, etc and they have played two pretty good opponents to date. Also as good as MPB was in pre season, O coordinators aren't ed they see hes a threat and have been doubling him and going with quick passes. It would also help if Raymond was either cleared or Denied sometime before St. Patricks day but at this point who the hell knows.

To me the bigger concern is that any type of WR screen is continuing to just absolutely gash us, we desperately need to develop a new plan of attack against those WR Bubble, Junk, and Jet screens.

Typically Marrone has used games against 1AA teams to get the running game going. I expect to see the same next week and would not be surprised to see us score less than 40 points and Nassib to have under 300 yards.

I hope not, that thinking almost cost us last year versus RI, letting any type of team hang around is a recipe for disaster. Nassibl should be slinging the ball early and often. This woudl be a great game to get Stevens going and hopefully Flemming.

In past seasons, our anemic offense was designed out of necessity to establish the run, eat clock, and shorten the game. We tried to line up and impose our will against the D1AA teams, but our OL wasn't good enough to blow even D1AA teams off the ball.

Our offense doesn't have those same limitations this year. The pass sets up the run. I couldn't care less how much Nassib throws for--I expect us to not struggle to move the ball and essentially turn this into a tune up game. Then, we're going to go to Minnesota the following week and even our record up.

I've said from the beginning that Stony Brook is the key game of the year. If we don't play well they can beat us. We will get no credit for beating them but losing to them, for what would now be an 8th straight loss, would be a crusher. There have already been some significant upsets aroudn the coutnry in games like this. We didn't have to beat USC but we have to win this this one.

This team hasn't learned to win yet. If we let Stony Brook stay in the game, with will come down to who makes the plays to win the game. That's got to be us. Hopefully it won't come to that but if it does, we've got to make those plays and avoid the bad ones. Our track record going back to last seaosn doesn't inspire confidence in that regard. I hope to gain it as the season progresses.

I've said from the beginning that Stony Brook is the key game of the year.

Perhaps the saddest sentence ever written on this website.

Looking forward to a day when 1AA teams aren't the Key game of the year.

I want to see a good amount of Ashton in the wildcat in this game. Preferably with a few pass options in the calls and no just read options and direct runs.

We need to win this handily enough to get our backup qbs more than one series.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
The fact that the backup QB threw the ball 0 times last year is inexcusable.

Good Post Jermy, and you and I have always been more leary of the 1AA opponents than many here.. I have not been this pleased with a Syracuse team from top to bottom after two games since I can remember. That said, a team that I feel has definitely taken the next step should come out and handle a 1aa opponent from quarter one, don't keep them in the game. Take care of business, physically dominate and be done with it. The longer they let them hang around. the worse off it is. Ie; UR game last year. In its own way this game is certainly another good test to see where we are at. Sooo easy to come out very flat Saturday, 0-2 two tough losses versus a quality opponent and also one of the best teams in the country, half empty dome. Me, I am fired up to see this team get their first win and then head to Minny. Still kicking the Minny game around but will probably head to Mizzu game instead.

SU needs to guard against coming out flat after playing in a big game against USC. I think there's a tendency to put it on autopilot when playing against lower competition, and that you can always "turn it on" if needed. Stony Brook will be no pushover, and they will be playing with nothing to lose. The longer you let teams like this stick around, the more they believe they can beat you.
I would like to see us comfortably ahead at half-time, with the reserve QB getting snaps, etc., but truthfully I don't see it happening. I think the game will be uncomfortably close at half-time, and we will pull away in the 2nd half.

If the staff wants to come out blazing then (if they win the coin toss) they'll take the opening kick off instead of deferring.

Perhaps the saddest sentence ever written on this website.

Looking forward to a day when 1AA teams aren't the Key game of the year.
no kidding.

anything other than complete domination and i would expect marrones resignation letter on daryls desk by 8am sunday.

if the Orange lose, he should be fired in the locker room in front of all the players.

Oh Lord

where are people seeing the dline getting push around? NW struggled all day to run and had much more success verse a Vandy D that is supposed to be pretty good. USC ended up with a decent amount of yards there was only a handful of plays that the D was knocked back, a couple of reverses. 250 yds which 150 came on 4 plays and 30 carries for 100 by a #2 team is pretty good.

the reverses should never happen thats 100 yds and caused two scoring drives.

I think 8 tackles and half a sack from the interior DLine against USC is pretty respectable.

The DEnds chipped in with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

It’s my opinion the defenders killing us right now in the run defense are Diabate and Davis. Diabate made some huge mistakes Saturday against the run whether he got sealed and sucked inside he didn't come up into open holes and make tackles that are his responsibility.

I expect (hope) that we win handily next week. Despite that I can't overlook that our O has started slow in both games this year. This pattern, plus the spectre of a "USC letdown" has me concerned. We must put at leats 21 points on the board in the first half and take away any hope that Stony Brook might have of hanging with us.

Although it was against D-II Pace, I think the best thing that could have happened is that Stony Brook put up 77 points on the board. That should get the attention of our D real fast. They should be amped to throw a shutout on Saturday.

I think 8 tackles and half a sack from the interior DLine against USC is pretty respectable.

The DEnds chipped in with 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

It’s my opinion the defenders killing us right now in the run defense are Diabate and Davis. Diabate made some huge mistakes Saturday against the run whether he got sealed and sucked inside he didn't come up into open holes and make tackles that are his responsibility.
You are right on about the LB play. They highlighted the hole on the broadcast that Diabate or Davis didn't fill.

That being said, I still have nightmares about the Colgate RB who had a career day against SU. Now, it turns out he was an NFL quality player. But, the Stony Brook RBs are reputed to be D1 players who didn't get a shot. And, I'm less enamored than most with Shafer. If he doesn't have the run stopped this week in preparation, I have no confidence in him making in-game adjustments.

You are right on about the LB play. They highlighted the hole on the broadcast that Diabate or Davis didn't fill.

That being said, I still have nightmares about the Colgate RB who had a career day against SU. Now, it turns out he was an NFL quality player. But, the Stony Brook RBs are reputed to be D1 players who didn't get a shot. And, I'm less enamored than most with Shafer. If he doesn't have the run stopped this week in preparation, I have no confidence in him making in-game adjustments.

I like Schaffer when he's aggressive. I'm starting to see him go conservitive on calls though and I don't particularly like it. I'm a firm believer that in college ball you should be aggressive on defense and force the offensive to make rushed decisions and make plays under duress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom