Don't you just love when the oldtimers Bitc# slap the | Syracusefan.com

Don't you just love when the oldtimers Bitc# slap the

Russell also won an Olympic gold medal. Truly, a champion at every level.

Bill Russell is a winner and fantastic human being.

But he's probably off-base here, and why does he care?

This dopey "Mt. Rushmore" exercise involves four people. Some excellent individual necessarily will be passed over. Madison and Monroe got left off the monument; no one's howling about that.

The whole thing is idiotic. How can you possibly compare Bill Russell to Michael Jordan and determine who was better? They played different positions in totally different eras. Can't we just agree that those two, along with a host of others are all-time greats and just stop there? It's this stupid First Take, "embrace debate" nonsense rearing its hugly head again.

On Sports Reporters, Bob Ryan said he pretty much got it right with one caveat. He was not including any big men. on the list. I'm not exactly sure why, possibly because it's easier for bigs to dominate or that the game is moving away from them.

Maybe Bill isn't one of the 4 best ever. I'm not saying he isn't but James's list is pretty legit. Ramiro Mendoza has 5 WS rings, suck on that Ernie Banks and Ted Williams.
So, did Ramiro Mendoza win back-to-back championships in Double-A, Triple-A, College World Series, and MLB?
Just sayin'...

Bill Russell is a winner and fantastic human being.

But he's probably off-base here, and why does he care?

This dopey "Mt. Rushmore" exercise involves four people. Some excellent individual necessarily will be passed over. Madison and Monroe got left off the monument; no one's howling about that.
That's partially because 25% of the people who read this thread are gonna think to themselves 'who the heck is madison and Monroe?'

Russell is right and this is the poster child for why i dont watch the nba. Bunch of opera singers trying to make the sportscenter top 10 every night. Team means nothing.

College rules
I have to say - Lebron is the ultimate team player. If you love basketball as a team game, you are really missing out not watching the NBA of this era. Lebron as a player and the San Antonio Spurs as an organization are playing team ball at the highest level. The Spurs are the most enjoyable team I have ever watched at any level in all my years as a fan.

Russell is right and this is the poster child for why i dont watch the nba. Bunch of opera singers trying to make the sportscenter top 10 every night. Team means nothing.

College rules

Team means nothing? You blow this way out of proportion. You like college over the NBA..that's fine, nothing wrong with that, I do as well. However, your reasoning is incredibly over-dramatic, imo.

I think Russell comes of a bit thin skinned and needy

Let me know when LeBron wins his 11th championship. I think Russell is right - if you are going to pontificate on the history of the game, then you should know and respect that history. Russell's 11 championships are not so easily dismissed. Wilt Chamberlain might have something to say, as well. He averaged 60 points a game one season. That's just freaking ridiculous.

Let me know when LeBron wins his 11th championship. I think Russell is right - if you are going to pontificate on the history of the game, then you should know and respect that history. Russell's 11 championships are not so easily dismissed. Wilt Chamberlain might have something to say, as well. He averaged 60 points a game one season. That's just freaking ridiculous.

nobody is "dismissing" him. his accomplishments will stand the test of time. I'm just saying that his reaction came off as thin skinned and defensive.

That's partially because 25% of the people who read this thread are gonna think to themselves 'who the heck is madison and Monroe?'

Square Garden and Greg. OBV.

I love Bill Russell, but I have no idea why he felt the need to make a statement like that.

And to answer the question posed in this thread's title... no, I don't love it when oldtimers "b!tch slap" the glamorous one's in today's game. 99% of the time when oldtimers complain about anything happening today (sports, music, politics, etc) it comes off as stupidly nostalgic, bitter, tired whining.

DoctorBombay said:
So, did Ramiro Mendoza win back-to-back championships in Double-A, Triple-A, College World Series, and MLB? Just sayin'...

Don't think he played in college, and double and triple A don't play to win.

Does it really matter? I'm not discrediting Russell on what he accomplished I'm just saying he really shouldn't be offended that he was left off a list of 4. My point is rings have no baring on how great a player is/was. Elway was just as good at quarterback before he won. Reggie Miller was a hell of a player. Ewing was a hell of a player. Malone was a hell of a player. Are they any less great because they don't have a ring? Michael Jordan has just more than half of what Russell has, does that make him half as good? Garbage argument by Russell.

A good Mt. Rushmore list should have one that doesn't belong like the real Mt. Rushmore.

Washington
Jefferson
T. Roosevelt
Lincoln

One of these things is not like the other.

Don't think he played in college, and double and triple A don't play to win.

Does it really matter? I'm not discrediting Russell on what he accomplished I'm just saying he really shouldn't be offended that he was left off a list of 4. My point is rings have no baring on how great a player is/was. Elway was just as good at quarterback before he won. Reggie Miller was a hell of a player. Ewing was a hell of a player. Malone was a hell of a player. Are they any less great because they don't have a ring? Michael Jordan has just more than half of what Russell has, does that make him half as good? Garbage argument by Russell.
I think that Miller and Ewing are not as good as Dennis Johnson and Olajuwon. I believe that is partially do to the fact that they do not have any rings.

I love Bill Russell, but I have no idea why he felt the need to make a statement like that.

And to answer the question posed in this thread's title... no, I don't love it when oldtimers "b!tch slap" the glamorous one's in today's game. 99% of the time when oldtimers complain about anything happening today (sports, music, politics, etc) it comes off as stupidly nostalgic, bitter, tired whining.

But LeBron coming up with a Mt. Rushmore and the fact that one of them will need to come off to make room for him shows the brilliance, hip, and enthusiastic realism of the younger players? Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom