Dordevic... | Syracusefan.com

Dordevic...

Orangtiz

Starter
Let me preface by saying that I think he will end up being a very good player for us. With that being said, I guess I just don't really get all the hype around him. As a freshman he had 15 and 5 for 20 points. I'd hardly say he set the world on fire and took the ACC by storm. IMO there is a huge buzz around him and I'm not quite sure why. He had a great game at UVA and scored some flashy goals but he only put 58% of shots on goal and really didn't jump off the page to me. Now I hope I'm wrong but the honorable mention AA and some of the preseason buzz doesn't make sense to me. He's had a lot of time to work on his game. Hope I'm wrong.

I too have found the pre-season hype very interesting. I think its the eyeball test, he is physically gifted. His freshman year I felt his athleticism exceeded his lacrosse skills. There is video evidence of how hard he worked on his skills while he was rehabbing (ie playing wall ball while on a scooter). So the expectations are that he will be significantly better this year. That remains to be seen. What I find most exciting about Tucker's return is how the depth of scoring at the midfield increases. The Orange have 5 middies who have scored double digit goals in a season. Regardless of who the 6th middie is, they can roll out 2 legitimate offensive lines. Who do you pole on the line of Curry, Dordevic, and Trimboli? Trimboli, a 2 time HM AA, might see the 3rd best midfield defender. Tucker alone isn't that scary, but put him together with Curry and Trimboli that's something.

Be very helpful to team success if he posts 12 assists. His ability to dodge and score is there

He will be the best midfielder in the country - if not this year, next. He is in a class by himself. Just Watch.
Speed, quickness, balance, athleticism, aggressiveness and if I could find more adjectives to express the impression he made from the first time I saw him play, I would not be able to describe what makes him different and a class above other good players. One aspect in his first year - he seemed to need less space and fewer steps to open himself up for quick hard shots. He was tough to handle even for very good ssdms.
The best, probably not. Who can predict the injury's impact? He's a player. From the first look, he's a player.

Be very helpful to team success if he posts 12 assists. His ability to dodge and score is there

This, heard has he looked good but has developed a bit of the "make up for lost time bug" and has been a little to eager to shoot. I think thats to be expected but we need him to look to distribute as well especially with Solomon gone and Rehfuss prone to stretches where he is MIA for a few games.

Speed, quickness, balance, athleticism, aggressiveness and if I could find more adjectives to express the impression he made from the first time I saw him play, I would not be able to describe what makes him different and a class above other good players. One aspect in his first year - he seemed to need less space and fewer steps to open himself up for quick hard shots. He was tough to handle even for very good ssdms.
The best, probably not. Who can predict the injury's impact? He's a player. From the first look, he's a player.

That spin move where he turns to the opposite way and just rips it is nasty. Think he got a goal like that against Virginia his frosh year and the defender just shook his head. He and Buttermore are a nasty long range combination if a team tries to zone us.

I think Dordevic simply does some things that other players cannot do - two plays from his freshmen year always stand out to me. 1) The one handed goal he scored against Notre Dame in the dome and 2) that juke/shimmy that faked a UVA defender off the screen like he was James Harden. He's not the fastest, or the biggest, or the strongest, but you also can't point to any of those attributes and say they are lacking either. He definitely needs to work on his shot (he almost always shoots low) and his assist totals really should improve. Maybe if they implement a two-man game with Scanlan, it would improve.

I've been thinking of what my expectations for the offense are in terms of production. I would expect Dordevic to score something like 25-10. I think its reasonable to expect Trimboli to do his usual 25-10 as well. Given Curry's passing ability and his speed, I actually think he could reach a 20-20 type season if all goes well. He was on track for that before he seemed to hit a wall at the end of the year. For Lipka and Buttermore, I wonder a bit if their production might drop - maybe 17 and 5 for Buttermore and 15 and 5 for Lipka? I feel like Desko might become more reliant on the first midfield as the season goes on, but we'll see. I think I'm being pretty modest in my forecasting here, so hopefully these numbers will be much higher by the end of the season.

I think Dordevic simply does some things that other players cannot do - two plays from his freshmen year always stand out to me. 1) The one handed goal he scored against Notre Dame in the dome and 2) that juke/shimmy that faked a UVA defender off the screen like he was James Harden. He's not the fastest, or the biggest, or the strongest, but you also can't point to any of those attributes and say they are lacking either. He definitely needs to work on his shot (he almost always shoots low) and his assist totals really should improve. Maybe if they implement a two-man game with Scanlan, it would improve.

I've been thinking of what my expectations for the offense are in terms of production. I would expect Dordevic to score something like 25-10. I think its reasonable to expect Trimboli to do his usual 25-10 as well. Given Curry's passing ability and his speed, I actually think he could reach a 20-20 type season if all goes well. He was on track for that before he seemed to hit a wall at the end of the year. For Lipka and Buttermore, I wonder a bit if their production might drop - maybe 17 and 5 for Buttermore and 15 and 5 for Lipka? I feel like Desko might become more reliant on the first midfield as the season goes on, but we'll see. I think I'm being pretty modest in my forecasting here, so hopefully these numbers will be much higher by the end of the season.

I actually expect Buttermore's numbers to go up, he's an outstanding middie who should be getting some run with the 1's each half. With everyone concentrating on Scanlan and Dordevic and Curry he should be getting plenty of looks and should draw a short stick when he runs with the 1s.

Buttermore would be starting at pretty much every other D1 school in the country including UVA, PSU, Duke etc but SU's midfield depth is so ridiculous he's with the 2's. I just wish we had RS him as he barely played his frosh year.

Agree. Trimboli and Buttermore if timely passes swung to them off slides.

Scanlan numbers likely fall some but his attention benefits Cook . Refhuss has good vision and plenty of targets. 20/30 doable.

Might face more zones. Quinn got routside rocket as does Kim.

Agree. Trimboli and Buttermore if timely passes swung to them off slides.

Scanlan numbers likely fall some but his attention benefits Cook . Refhuss has good vision and plenty of targets. 20/30 doable.

Might face more zones. Quinn got routside rocket as does Kim.

SU would be a tough team to zone as I assume Desko/March would go with a mid line of Timbo, Dordevic and Buttermore, all guys who can shoot from outside and from deep. Scanlan is also an excellent mid range guy. I guess if a team was really good at it and had an excellent goalie ala Bryant that year in the tourney it might work but unless SU had an off shooting day not sure this is a team you want to try and zone.

With Dordevic and why he is elite, it comes down to his ability to gain separation. Nobody on the team (except maybe Curry) is more likely to draw a slide/get the defense rotating, which is the most crucial aspect to creating scoring opportunities on offense. He is a match-up nightmare with his explosiveness and quickness, and the rotations he will create will lead to things like Cook, Rehfuss, or Scanlan suddenly having a short stick on them, Buttermore getting open for his lethal outside shot, skip passes being open, etc. That is why Sergio Percovic was such a big part of NDs offense even without blowing up the stat sheet in his later years. That is why Connor Fletcher remains a key to Cornell's offense despite only 19 points. Teams are not necessarily scared of the Brad Voigts and Ian Lavianos of the lax world. They are scared of the guys who beat their man, which eventually leads to guys like that being open.

Was going do projections but number of games affects players numbers

Syracuse does not schedule as many games as many others for whatever reason.
Cuse played only with 14 last year and only 12 regular season games are scheduled for 2020.

Playing 17 games would be magical but 18 would be just as sweet

Was going do projections but number of games affects players numbers

Syracuse does not schedule as many games as many others for whatever reason.
Cuse played only with 14 last year and only 12 regular season games are scheduled for 2020.

Playing 17 games would be magical but 18 would be just as sweet

We only played 12 last year as well but got up to 14 with the ACC and NCAA tourney. SU loses games off the main schedule due to all the scrimmages we play as those count toward the max number of games you can play which I think is like 16 or 17. The other issue is that Desko got burned on the RPI that one year so he doesn't want to schedule a bunch of cupcakes but in my opinion he has swung to far the other way. SU should be playing at least 13 games a season including a lower level team late in the year to get a breather like UVA and Duke do. Playing a St. Bonaventure or Siena or Canisius in March or early April would be a nice breather for this team, way to much of a gauntlet after February. I hope we address this next year but I doubt it.

Last edited:
With Dordevic and why he is elite, it comes down to his ability to gain separation. Nobody on the team (except maybe Curry) is more likely to draw a slide/get the defense rotating, which is the most crucial aspect to creating scoring opportunities on offense. He is a match-up nightmare with his explosiveness and quickness, and the rotations he will create will lead to things like Cook, Rehfuss, or Scanlan suddenly having a short stick on them, Buttermore getting open for his lethal outside shot, skip passes being open, etc. That is why Sergio Percovic was such a big part of NDs offense even without blowing up the stat sheet in his later years. That is why Connor Fletcher remains a key to Cornell's offense despite only 19 points. Teams are not necessarily scared of the Brad Voigts and Ian Lavianos of the lax world. They are scared of the guys who beat their man, which eventually leads to guys like that being open.
I commented yesterday on these attributes and why Im a huge fan of Curry and Montgomery .

Let me say that both Curry and Dordevic are excellent players but their games do differ some despite some similarities. What is similar is both influence D's and can draw slides .
Curry separates off pure speed and has displayed good vision and passing ability from dodges up top and even from his infrequent forays behind cage. He not only swings the ball well but can hit throw inside .Basis for belief that he would also be a good attackman along the lines of a Moore .

Just off memory .Dordevic separation came off bursts and pivots which created good space for him to shoot moreso than good angles to pass. My bb analogy would be presently more of a scoring guard with a good handle. Maybe March inverts more and he develops into a greater passing threat off separation.

I actually expect Buttermore's numbers to go up, he's an outstanding middie who should be getting some run with the 1's each half. With everyone concentrating on Scanlan and Dordevic and Curry he should be getting plenty of looks and should draw a short stick when he runs with the 1s.

You could very well be right, I just don't know how many opportunities he'll get to run with the 1's. He replaced Lipka on the first line a lot last year (mostly in the fourth), and I don't think they'll be benching Dordevic/Curry or Trimboli in the fourth. Maybe they'll move one of the attackmen down to the attack in those situations to get the best six on the field?

He will be the best midfielder in the country - if not this year, next. He is in a class by himself. Just Watch.
damn, that's a strong take.
aitken has 143 points in 3 years.
handley had over 60 his freshman year.

will be interested to see how it goes. coming off an injury ain't easy, hopefully he's 100% and doesn't have any more roadblocks in front of him. always looks talented and confident.

I cant be the only one that is nervous whenever this thread is bumped, right??
Yeah I can’t stand thread titles with just the player’s name and dot dot dot dot. My heart sinks before I even click on it cuz I always assume it’s some sort of injury

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom