Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt

ECE '76

Scout Team
Daily Orange article:

Doug Marrone’s impact on Syracuse still felt despite abrupt departure 10 years ago

Doug Marrone changed the course of the SU football program. He ran the program like Dick MacPherson in many ways, but obviously didn't have the personality nor charisma of Coach Mac.

Interesting excerpts from the article, when thinking about Dino's current program:
Robinson hadn’t maintained relationships with local high school coaches, but Marrone did...
He brought SU’s focus back to recruiting within 5-6 hours, mirroring past head coaches Dick MacPherson and Paul Pasqualoni and emphasizing talent from New York state.
Players had to wear collared shirts when talking to the media, a suit and tie on road trips and couldn’t grow facial hair. There was no more music during practice.
Marrone was a real stickler on mistakes, Long said. Syracuse continued practice periods — or even restarted them — if players weren’t blocking the right assignments or running into the right gaps. As Long put it, there was no “we’ll get it next time,” like there was with Robinson, who stuck to the practice schedule despite mistakes.

There was no sense of disciple under Robinson.
Some similarities to the current program...Lack of discipline, not paying attention to details, not correcting errors...

SU seemed to give the game away today, more than Minnesota was taking it and winning it.

Some similarities to the current program...Lack of discipline, not paying attention to details, not correcting errors...

SU seemed to give the game away today, more than Minnesota was taking it and winning it.

Yep, 3 plays.

All due respect, Marrone bailed on us his so-called "dream job'.
I have no quarrel with him for doing that- opportunity came up and he took it. But I don't understand the somewhat wistful reverence for the man. He was 2 coaches ago and it's not like we played in the CFP during his tenure.
If he'd had JW and the admin that Dino has had, maybe he stays longer and we build something tangible. And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
Whatever...

Yep, 3 plays.
3 big plays, but also Minny finished drives with TDs. We got stopped and settled for 2 FGs. Or stopped around the Minny 45 and punted 2 times. Wasted opportunities.

The guy impressed me back then and still impressed me reading that article. I can’t say I wouldn’t take him back because I would in a heartbeat. Was there any interest in his return?
He was supposedly approached by Wildhack before the season to gauge his interest in coming back in case 2022 cratered and DM had no interest

He was supposedly approached by Wildhack before the season to gauge his interest in coming back in case 2022 cratered and DM had no interest
If this is true that is mind blowing to me. He would rather be an O Line coach with the Saints? I know word by the insiders is that he hated recruiting, but if true that says a lot about his thoughts about his alma mater.

If this is true that is mind blowing to me. He would rather be an O Line coach with the Saints? I know word by the insiders is that he hated recruiting, but if true that says a lot about his thoughts about his alma mater.
i doubt he'd go back to buffalo or jacksonville to be their head coach.

Not remotely the same. I was at SU during the Robinson years and the lack of discipline this board keeps mentioning was an issue off of the field with the Mike Williams incident being one of the more prominent ones. There are incidents that never made the headlines that those of us who lived on South Campus and attended off campus parties knew about.

We would all like for this program to go to a bowl every season but attempting to mirror the two eras is a reach. Dino Babers has run a very clean ship especially when compared to G-Rob who himself was a players coach but erred on the side of discipline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom