Drunken Ramblings | Syracusefan.com

Drunken Ramblings

OrangeTown

Starter
DISCLAIMER: The next few paragraphs will be copied/pasted for all subsequent posts I make with this title.

Tomcat does his wonderful “My Take” threads after most of our games. He, and most of you, are infinitely more knowledgeable about Syracuse sports, and sports in general, than I am. I tend to not post here with direct commentary on skills, game results, or general knowledge, but often try to post light-hearted humorous posts. I'm unsure why I decided to do this tonight.

That being said, I want to try something. As the title implies, these are drunken ramblings, so there is a good chance that these won’t happen after every game. They might show up shortly after the game in question and immediately after I do a drunken proofreading. They might show up the next morning. They might not show up ever again. And if they do happen again, I might say the same thing I said in a previous drunken rambling that I forgot I had already said. So that deserves a warning - open future threads with this title at your own risk.

Typically I would be watching these games with friends or in person and be unable to write my thoughts down while I am watching the game. Since I’m (probably) home alone watching with my cat (don’t’ judge me!), I found myself wanting to document my thoughts as the games progress.

So, I’m putting myself out there. This is basically my own personal game thread that I log as I watch the game.

DISCLAIMER: I’m trying to just put my “in the moment” thoughts into writing as I watch the game. You’re seeing a glimpse into the mind of something that you probably don’t want to. I hope it provokes random comments, disagreements, and conversations about OUR team as the year goes by. They are by no means all inclusive.

FINAL DISCLAIMER: I might have titled this “Drunken Ramblings” to keep people from making fun of me if I say something stupid so I can say it was because I was drunk.

Please take a brief pause in reading – I’m going to pour another scotch.

Okay I’m back. And on to my ramblings of the player performances and the game in general…

Rutgers. December 9, 2020

Guerrier

The highlight of the game for me. His form on 3s seems fantastic – I noticed it in previous games. Love that he doesn’t hesitate to shoot it. This feeling could change after he has more than like 6 attempts under his belt this year, but I think it’s clear he’s worked on it a lot and probably been told to do so. Nothing new - he's not afraid to bang on the boards. Gut feeling – will be a legit superstar. Don’t hold me to that. But if he is, please don’t forget to pat me on the back. As well as the many others who probably said it before me. More than once he will get the ire of referees and opposing fans for his selling of non-existent face contact. I did this a lot last year, too - I can’t believe they called that a flagrant.

Girard

The 3 at the end of the first half is one I don’t think he ever misses. Has that swagger where you just feel if he puts a guy on his ass, he’s not ever going to miss the shot over his prone body. Unfortunately, we will have to deal with a lot of the other sides of his game when he’s having off nights and hoisting up shots that drive us nuts.

Griffen

Got hot for a stretch but scares me with some of the shots he takes. Quickly went from like 4 points to 20 but for some reason I’m unsure if he was a net benefit for us this game.

Richmond

Made some amazing passes. Has court vision, length and awareness. I kind of feel he is currently best suited for using his length to pass over defenders or his quickness to get by and make plays develop. Super excited for his future - just about as much as I am for Guerrier.

JBA

Was good to see him in there earlier on, and had a nice sequence where I think he snagged a rebound and took a charge. Had a baseline jumper that hit the side of the backboard, and I’m not sure if I saw him again after that.

Woody

I think I’m getting on the hype train but don’t want to be too premature (insert eggplant emoji). Authoritative dunk and a little swagger. Lots of work to do but I’m excited for his future.

Marek

Led us early (most of which was before the broadcast start) but felt he was kind of in no man’s land a bit for a good part of the rest of the game. I feel he could have pulled up for some easier short-range jump shots but hesitated. Sometimes those ended up in finding an open cutter or shooter and sometimes ended up with me wishing he had shot the damn thing. Still feel like he will be out glue.

General/Random Ramblings

I have a feeling that there are going to be times where we have a couple guys on the team that try to do too much on their own. As much as I love Griffen and feel he will be a huge asset for us, I think there are times where he will be a culprit of this.

Ron Harper Jr. is fat. But jacked. The way he looked in his jersey reminded me of how Matthew Moyer looked in his shorts.

I felt the commentators spent the first 10 minutes of the game talking about general stuff and not the actual gameplay. Failed to discuss things in real time. It was like there were 2 color commentary guys, but no play by play guy. At one time I think there was a comment about Bourama being a 20 and 10 guy. That made me chuckle.

Closing/Random Thoughts:

Holy crap this took a lot longer than I thought. This might be the only one of these I do.

Why does my fantasy football team suck so badly?

Why am I so disappointed that I won’t see JackBauer in a speedo this August?

Geez, I was gearing my loins for some inane drunken prattle, but you were quite coherent! I have just now started reading comments about the game and am struck by how everyone saw that Kadary was becoming our legit point guard. I didn’t quite see it as clearly as others, perhaps because at that point I was nervously playing Scrabble on my iPad. It may calm me down but it makes me lose sight of what is happening and why.

Anyway, OT, keep posting your observations and you don’t have to do all those disclaimers, either! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom