Class of 2019 - DT Brandon Tiassum (ND grad transfer) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DT Brandon Tiassum (ND grad transfer)

With the Walton ship opening up I would love to see us bring in a DT kid like this for depth purposes.
Absolutely. Little to lose by bringing him in. We're one injury away from having serious issues there this year.

Played 3 games his entire career, sat out the 2018 season. Not to knock the kid, but Shaq Grosvenor has just as much, if not more, experience.

Plus, why bring in a grad transfer for the 4th rotation spot when you can put in an underclassman and get him experience for when he's pressed into service in 2020?

I understand the desire to win this year, but a grad transfer here is one of the last things we need.

Played 3 games his entire career, sat out the 2018 season. Not to knock the kid, but Shaq Grosvenor has just as much, if not more, experience.

Plus, why bring in a grad transfer for the 4th rotation spot when you can put in an underclassman and get him experience for when he's pressed into service in 2020?

I understand the desire to win this year, but a grad transfer here is one of the last things we need.

I agree. And most of the grad transfer kids from upper level P5 programs never got off the bench. So scratch when I said "a kid like this." I would just like to see us add a rotation type DT for depth behind the first 3. After Williams, Black and Ruff we're in trouble.

Harper enters his redshirt-soph season and hasn't had a shred of news. One game Wagner and 1 tackle. Not ready to write him off but he's not even pushing the rotation. Gros is OK for depth but I'd rather have someone that beats him out to.

Last edited:
It does like who?
It comes down to what Munoz and Rondi can do once they get to campus. Plus, we have 9 DE on campus plus two more on the way. I feel like a switch to the middle is inevitable for someone. Just don't know who. Still, I think resources have to be applied elsewhere before 4th inside lineman is addressed.

It comes down to what Munoz and Rondi can do once they get to campus. Plus, we have 9 DE on campus plus two more on the way. I feel like a switch to the middle is inevitable for someone. Just don't know who. Still, I think resources have to be applied elsewhere before 4th inside lineman is addressed.

I don't know. Adding 40 or 50 lbs is WAY down the road. Munoz or Rondi could be game ready but do we think they are ? I don't. Here's the DTs on the roster. Among the 3 horses, youre one blown knee away from having a serious issue. If these 3 hold up taking 98% of the snaps I'll be impressed.

Kenneth Ruff 302 Sr.
McKinley Williams 29 4Sr.
Shaq Grosvenor 284 R-Sr.
Josh Black 277 R-Jr.
Curtis Harper 310 R-So.

I don't really see anyplace else resources should be applied right now.

9 DEs on the roster is because 4 of them are seniors and 1 - Jonathon is already a junior.

I don't know. Adding 40 or 50 lbs is WAY down the road. Munoz or Rondi could be game ready but do we think they are ? I don't. Here's the DTs on the roster. Among the 3 horses, youre one blown knee away from having a serious issue. If these 3 hold up taking 98% of the snaps I'll be impressed.

Kenneth Ruff 302 Sr.
Shaq Grosvenor 284 R-Sr.
Josh Black 277 R-Jr.
Curtis Harper 310 R-So.

9 DEs on the roster is because 4 of them are seniors and 1 - Jonathon is already a junior.

when it comes to a grad transfer, I wouldn't mind another offensive lineman, the depth we have is young and not quite ready.

All those of you who don't think we need another DT, don't say a word when teams run the ball down our throat this year, particularly if one of our top 3 get hurt (which wouldn't be a stretch at such a physical position). I highly doubt these incoming Freshman are ready to play this coming year.

All those of you who don't think we need another DT, don't say a word when teams run the ball down our throat this year, particularly if one of our top 3 get hurt (which wouldn't be a stretch at such a physical position). I highly doubt these incoming Freshman are ready to play this coming year.
What a weird hill to claim.

Kenneth Ruff 302 Sr.
Shaq Grosvenor 284 R-Sr.
Josh Black 277 R-Jr.
Curtis Harper 310 R-So.

And when there's 11 DE on the roster, 4 of them will be freshmen and 1 a redshirt. They're recruiting for the future with a year of S&C mixed in.

I don't share your pessimism. Just because there isn't an obvious solution to us doesn't mean there isn't a solution in the coaching staff's mind.

Kenneth Ruff 302 Sr.
Shaq Grosvenor 284 R-Sr.
Josh Black 277 R-Jr.
Curtis Harper 310 R-So.

Of course they aren't -- they're true freshman. But they are both around 260 as incoming frosh, and have the right frames to play inside. We need to keep in mind that we're bringing in athletes, developing them, over time and "growing" them into athletic DTs. So in an ideal world, both of those guys redshirt, then perhaps play in a limited capacity as redshirt frosh, and then ascend into bigger roles as sophomores -- i.e., their third year in the program.

The template: McKinley Williams came in as a 245 pound frosh, and was forced to play as a true frosh due to depth constraints. He's now a tall, athletic 294 pounds. Josh Black is another guy who came in and started games at DE, but now is disruptive as a DT. Ruff was a LB, he looked great at DT toward the end of the year.

The real issue is roster balance. We're top heavy on upperclassman at both defensive line positions.

We're talking about this year guys. The DT depth is scary thin THIS year. If McKinnely, Black or Ruff go down the wheels come off inside.

To date, Gros and Harper have shown nothing and that includes the most recent spring practice. non-factors.

Sign me up to take some All Sun Belt DT.

We're talking about this year guys. The DT depth is scary thin THIS year. If McKinnely, Black or Ruff go down the wheels come off inside.

To date, Gros and Harper have shown nothing and that includes the most recent spring practice. non-factors.

Ok, do you have some examples of the "All Sun Belt DT" that's transferring?

Ok, do you have some examples of the "All Sun Belt DT" that's transferring?

No and never said I did. Lets rewind for a minute because this is simple. What I said was "I would love to see us bring in a DT kid like this for depth purposes. Then the responses were that we are fine at defensive tackle when our 11 defensive ends add 40 pounds.

If Munoz or Rondi are game ready I'll feel a lot better about the position.

No, it isn't scary thin. We've got four proven commodities at DT, and others in reserve. And we've got four proven commodities at DE, with others in reserve.

Depth needs to improve. Roster balance of when we have guys in the pipeline needs to improve. But you're ringing the alarm bell based upon some hypothetical.

No and never said I did. Lets rewind for a minute because this is simple. What I said was "I would love to see us bring in a DT kid like this for depth purposes. Then the responses were that we are fine at defensive tackle when our 11 defensive ends add 40 pounds.

My initial response was that Tiassum isn't the guy. I further went on to say that I don't think a grad transfer here will help anything.

There's big questions over who starts at offensive tackle this year. A grad transfer there makes sense.

We know who the top 3 rotation guys are at defensive tackle and hope someone else fills the gap. This isn't the NFL - you have to live with your question marks sometimes.

I really hope they close this grad transfer loophole.

We have better talent on campus than this kid, as many have already said.
What loophole. The kid went to school and got his degree. There is no reason beyond athletic slavery, that he should not be allowed to go anywhere else for school, and football.

We brought one in. Then he decided to go to NC State.

What loophole. The kid went to school and got his degree. There is no reason beyond athletic slavery, that he should not be allowed to go anywhere else for school, and football.
"for school" but they're not getting a graduate degree. They're going for football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom