Class of 2016 - DT Rashan Gary (NJ) Forgoing Sr year at Michigan for NFL | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DT Rashan Gary (NJ) Forgoing Sr year at Michigan for NFL

I feel like I should bump this thread and remind everyone that Rashan Gary's teammate is Najee Clayton, who is currently (hopefully) being wooed like crazy by SU this weekend. Can't help but think that landing Clayton could help us at least get our foot in the door with Gary, right?

I feel like I should bump this thread and remind everyone that Rashan Gary's teammate is Najee Clayton, who is currently (hopefully) being wooed like crazy by SU this weekend. Can't help but think that landing Clayton could help us at least get our foot in the door with Gary, right?
While it's nice to think that way one would assume Gary would be happy for Clayton wherever he goes but not necessarily looking to follow him.

While it's nice to think that way one would assume Gary would be happy for Clayton wherever he goes but not necessarily looking to follow him.
I'm sure that's more than likely true, but obviously friends/teammates going to a particular school can often have at least SOME influence. Obviously depends on whether Clayton and Gary are actually good friends or not, of course, since just being teammates doesn't necessarily make them best buds.

I think the benefit is less "Gary wanting to be teammates so badly with Clayton that he'll follow him to Syracuse", which I agree is highly unlikely. I think the benefit would be more that Clayton could give his old teammate the real lowdown on what the Syracuse program is like. Every coach sells family and a healthy environment. Clayton would be able to say what it is really like, which would either add credibility to the coach's pitch (or undermine it, if he didn't like how his Syracuse experience...which we all hope wouldn't happen).

I have zero inside information, but I doubt we get this kid. He's already being recruited heavily by the best of the best, and it is only going to get heavier. I just don't think we can compete with that at this point. Unless the kid has some sort of pre-existing connection to the school or something.

Gary and Clayton have only been teammates one season. Rashon transferred in for this past season. Paramus Catholic is a good school to have a relationship with, but they are not well liked amongst the NJ parochial elite for bringing bad sportsmanship and attention. Rashon Gary didn't know if he would play last season due to a recruiting investigation. His old school cried foul when he transferred. I don't see him coming to SU.

Gary and Clayton have only been teammates one season. Rashon transferred in for this past season. Paramus Catholic is a good school to have a relationship with, but they are not well liked amongst the NJ parochial elite for bringing bad sportsmanship and attention. Rashon Gary didn't know if he would play last season due to a recruiting investigation. His old school cried foul when he transferred. I don't see him coming to SU.

I am a Bergen Catholic alum. So I dislike them as much as the next guy. But they have changed the game for the NJ Parochials. Other than St. Peter's the last 2 seasons (with Fitzpatrick and Wimbush) PC has had the most talent of the bunch. Getting Clayton would be a great way to get our foot in the door. Then again, I am not sure I would trust their coach one bit.

On a side note, I'd like to see us get in with Montclair. They've got a couple championships in a row, have sent some players to FBS schools, and Coach Acosta is friends with their HC.

I am a Bergen Catholic alum. So I dislike them as much as the next guy. But they have changed the game for the NJ Parochials. Other than St. Peter's the last 2 seasons (with Fitzpatrick and Wimbush) PC has had the most talent of the bunch. Getting Clayton would be a great way to get our foot in the door. Then again, I am not sure I would trust their coach one bit.
All my points exactly. I grew up in the area too and still live in NJ (ironically where Rashan Gary was poached from). Their coach is not well liked and I think coach Toal recently made his feelings on that clear in the press. My concern, other than the trust you mentioned, is that other coaches could sour on us if we are too much in his pocket. That worries me too. If I'm not mistaken, the BC coach used to be the DB AD. There is a tight fraternity amongst the elite parochials.

On another note, I think our ties to Madei Williams will be just as strong and more universally understood and trusted. He is becoming a huge presence in the NJ coaching scene primarily because of his work with Wimbush.

On another note, I think our ties to Madei Williams will be just as strong and more universally understood and trusted. He is becoming a huge presence in the NJ coaching scene primarily because of his work with Wimbush.

I've been waiting for this to happen for a while now. Not holding my breath.

All my points exactly. I grew up in the area too and still live in NJ (ironically where Rashan Gary was poached from). Their coach is not well liked and I think coach Toal recently made his feelings on that clear in the press. My concern, other than the trust you mentioned, is that other coaches could sour on us if we are too much in his pocket. That worries me too. If I'm not mistaken, the BC coach used to be the DB AD. There is a tight fraternity amongst the elite parochials.

Also, I wouldn't look too much into other coaches souring on us. Yes, the BC HC was the AD at Bosco. But the BC HC played for Paramus Catholic himself, and his father was the HC there for a long time. We should get who we can get.

I agree we should get what we can get. I just like the idea of a relationship, a pipeline. I am thrilled with a new connection to Red Bank Catholic, and Bosco. We've taken kids from Bergen Catholic in the past (not enough of them, I have heard we had a legit shot at Cushing). I would like to see St. Peter's and St. Joe's (Montvale) as well. Beggars can't be choosers, but feel we should step lightly with the current Paramus Catholic staff.
As for Williams, he is actively training AJ Long. While I don't see him immediately pushing his best students at SU, I also don't see him souring his guys on us either. I think he was in that boat with Nunes in that the last two coaching regemes (Robinson and Marrone) just didn't want guys like him around. That has a backlash. I am a believer that we may be beyond that now.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/h...l/don-bosco-is-planning-a-big-party-1.1215335

Don Bosco Prep will celebrate a big birthday with maybe the biggest event ever held on campus.

The Ramsey school will host "The Centennial Classic" the weekend of Sept. 25-26 as part of its 100th anniversary celebration, including a pair of football games matching powers from three coasts. The games will be just part of what is poised to be a big year of events for the school.

"The football games are part of a large weekend celebration," said Don Bosco Prep director/president Father Jim Heuser. "Our alumni will be invited back and we will have different events throughout the week. It will be family oriented."

Representing the West Coast will be Don Bosco Prep’s fellow Salesian school, St. John Bosco from Bellflower, Calif. The Braves are scheduled to take on defending New Jersey Group 4 state champion St. Peter’s Prep in one contest.

The Ironmen will host Archbishop Rummel, a school in the suburbs of New Orleans that has won two of the last three state championships in Louisiana. So you have East Coast, West Coast and Gulf Coast, if you will.

I didn't realize Madei had become a big high school coach.

Now...has he ever been mentioned as someone who could be added to our coaching staff? Former player, rising HS coach, New Jersey recruiting ties...

Might depend on his work with AJ. I think he is very much in coaching, but it is entirely technique and mechanics driven. Not sure how he might be with X's and O's. He is pretty proud of SU and his time here. He and I went back adn forth a few times on twitter about it. He wants to get guys to the Hill. I don't think he'd risk his budding reputatioin on it, but he is not shy about proclaiming himself Orange. He told me he "had a few guys in mind" for SU.

NJCuse97 said:
Might depend on his work with AJ. I think he is very much in coaching, but it is entirely technique and mechanics driven. Not sure how he might be with X's and O's. He is pretty proud of SU and his time here. He and I went back adn forth a few times on twitter about it. He wants to get guys to the Hill. I don't think he'd risk his budding reputatioin on it, but he is not shy about proclaiming himself Orange. He told me he "had a few guys in mind" for SU.

One of the best QB's I ever saw in practice. And a good kid too.

rrlbees said:
One of the best QB's I ever saw in practice. And a good kid too.

Long or williams?