Duke Game Preview (3/25/21, 7pm) | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Preview (3/25/21, 7pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
A game of titanic proportions awaits us this Thursday, as the Orange face off against the Duke Blue Devils. Duke comes into the game with video game like numbers, buoyed by a roster that is overstuffed with transfers and fifth year players. Syracuse had a great offseason bringing back their own fifth year seniors, but they will have their hands full with the likes of Sowers, O'Neil, Giles-Harris and Montgomery. Can SU win this game? Absolutely. But they'll need to play with their hair on fire.

Duke obviously has the names mentioned above on offense. But they also have tons of depth. I imagine Mitch Wykoff will get the Michael Sowers matchup, Grant Murphy will take Joe Robertson and Nick DiPietro will try and guard Brannan O'Neil. I think the close defense actually matches up pretty well with the Duke attack, but that doesn't mean Duke still won't put up points. SU has been playing more of a passive, packed in defense, preferring to let their All American goalie Drake Porter absorb shots. Thats worked out well so far, but the Duke shooters are downright scary. Robertson, Sowers, and Nakie Montgomery are all shooting above 40%. The SU defense will have to have their heads on a swivel. The midfield is deep with Owen Caputo, Sean Lowery, Aiden Danenza, Cam Badour and the names go on. But there is a clear break from the top four scorers led by Sowers with 44 points and everyone else on the roster. Montgomoery has 22 points, but the next closest is Caputo with 12. Obviously the SU defense will have to be cognizant of the Duke depth, but its important to realize that the top four are all very good and must be focused on. It looks like the first line midfield is Lowery, Montgomery and freshman Charlie O'Conner who has three points on the year. I imagine they are mixing and matching quite a bit. I also don't know where former starter Dyson Williams is lining up but he has 11 points on the year. Like the Virginia game, everyone is going to have to be comfortable covering everyone on the Duke defense.

On defense Duke has Mike Adler between the pipes and he has an impressive 7 GAA and a save percentage of 60%. Of course those stats may be helped by playing a less than impressive schedule recently, and he was chased early in the Denver game. Not sure if the transfer has found his groove or if he just hasn't faced very good teams recently. If he struggles though, Duke does have veteran Turner Upgren who they can turn too. The close defense is led by JT Giles-Harris, everyones pick to Defender of the Year, but he can't guard all of the Syracuse weapons. He is flanked by Kenny Brower and Wilson Stephenson. I expect SU will run a lot of inverting with Brendan Curry and Owen Seebold. Duke isn't known to double-pole midfields, and I think Curry can find a lot of success if he is allowed to work on a short stick behind the goal. Duke likes to press out and leave their defenders on an island. I think SU can find success if they attack the right matchups. Giles-Harris might be able to neutralize Stephen Rheffus, but Rhefuss can also be a crease finisher and Owen Hiltz's passing will probably also give the Blue Devils fits.

Syracuse can help their upset cause greatly if it can win face-offs. Jakob Phaup has been better in recent games after struggling against Vermont, but he'll have his hands full with Duke's freshman phenom Jake Nasso, who is winning at a 65% clip. Like the goaltending position, Duke has options in case Nasso struggles, with Dan O'Connell and Jordan Ginder being respectable backups. Unclear if Syracuse has options outside of Phaup. Nasso only took one face-off against Denver and Alec Stathikis, so he hasn't faced anyone at Phaups level yet. This will be interesting to watch.

Overall I do feel confident about Syracuse and their offense against Duke, and historically SU has done well against Duke in ACC play. The Duke offense does scare me of course, and I'm not sure how well the Syracuse defense will do against them. Porter has been very good this year, but I don't know if you want to enter him into a shooting gallery against this team. I think Brett Kennedy will have to be a terror in the middle of the field and it would be great if he could add some transition presence in this game, along with Peter Dearth. If Syracuse plays this game like they did against UVA then they really could do well. Duke is coming off a good amount of rest after not playing this weekend, and this is SU's first road game of the year. Lots to overcome for the Orange and its easy to get intimidated by the Blue Devils, but Syracuse has some pretty darn good players as well. Looking forward to Thursday.

A game of titanic proportions awaits us this Thursday, as the Orange face off against the Duke Blue Devils. Duke comes into the game with video game like numbers, buoyed by a roster that is overstuffed with transfers and fifth year players. Syracuse had a great offseason bringing back their own fifth year seniors, but they will have their hands full with the likes of Sowers, O'Neil, Giles-Harris and Montgomery. Can SU win this game? Absolutely. But they'll need to play with their hair on fire.

Duke obviously has the names mentioned above on offense. But they also have tons of depth. I imagine Mitch Wykoff will get the Michael Sowers matchup, Grant Murphy will take Joe Robertson and Nick DiPietro will try and guard Brannan O'Neil. I think the close defense actually matches up pretty well with the Duke attack, but that doesn't mean Duke still won't put up points. SU has been playing more of a passive, packed in defense, preferring to let their All American goalie Drake Porter absorb shots. Thats worked out well so far, but the Duke shooters are downright scary. Robertson, Sowers, and Nakie Montgomery are all shooting above 40%. The SU defense will have to have their heads on a swivel. The midfield is deep with Owen Caputo, Sean Lowery, Aiden Danenza, Cam Badour and the names go on. But there is a clear break from the top four scorers led by Sowers with 44 points and everyone else on the roster. Montgomoery has 22 points, but the next closest is Caputo with 12. Obviously the SU defense will have to be cognizant of the Duke depth, but its important to realize that the top four are all very good and must be focused on. It looks like the first line midfield is Lowery, Montgomery and freshman Charlie O'Conner who has three points on the year. I imagine they are mixing and matching quite a bit. I also don't know where former starter Dyson Williams is lining up but he has 11 points on the year. Like the Virginia game, everyone is going to have to be comfortable covering everyone on the Duke defense.

On defense Duke has Mike Adler between the pipes and he has an impressive 7 GAA and a save percentage of 60%. Of course those stats may be helped by playing a less than impressive schedule recently, and he was chased early in the Denver game. Not sure if the transfer has found his groove or if he just hasn't faced very good teams recently. If he struggles though, Duke does have veteran Turner Upgren who they can turn too. The close defense is led by JT Giles-Harris, everyones pick to Defender of the Year, but he can't guard all of the Syracuse weapons. He is flanked by Kenny Brower and Wilson Stephenson. I expect SU will run a lot of inverting with Brendan Curry and Owen Seebold. Duke isn't known to double-pole midfields, and I think Curry can find a lot of success if he is allowed to work on a short stick behind the goal. Duke likes to press out and leave their defenders on an island. I think SU can find success if they attack the right matchups. Giles-Harris might be able to neutralize Stephen Rheffus, but Rhefuss can also be a crease finisher and Owen Hiltz's passing will probably also give the Blue Devils fits.

Syracuse can help their upset cause greatly if it can win face-offs. Jakob Phaup has been better in recent games after struggling against Vermont, but he'll have his hands full with Duke's freshman phenom Jake Nasso, who is winning at a 65% clip. Like the goaltending position, Duke has options in case Nasso struggles, with Dan O'Connell and Jordan Ginder being respectable backups. Unclear if Syracuse has options outside of Phaup. Nasso only took one face-off against Denver and Alec Stathikis, so he hasn't faced anyone at Phaups level yet. This will be interesting to watch.

Overall I do feel confident about Syracuse and their offense against Duke, and historically SU has done well against Duke in ACC play. The Duke offense does scare me of course, and I'm not sure how well the Syracuse defense will do against them. Porter has been very good this year, but I don't know if you want to enter him into a shooting gallery against this team. I think Brett Kennedy will have to be a terror in the middle of the field and it would be great if he could add some transition presence in this game, along with Peter Dearth. If Syracuse plays this game like they did against UVA then they really could do well. Duke is coming off a good amount of rest after not playing this weekend, and this is SU's first road game of the year. Lots to overcome for the Orange and its easy to get intimidated by the Blue Devils, but Syracuse has some pretty darn good players as well. Looking forward to Thursday.
well done! Fine scouting report. The Duke game will provide a measure of the improvement over time since the Army game. I will not be surprised by a loss, but what seems important is the nature of a possible loss, the quality of SU's play, the point differential, etc. Does the defense remain calm and organized or does it deteriorate like the UVA defense seems to under pressure? Does the O remain fluid and precise or sluggish and ineffective. The first away game can be difficult for SU.

I think O’Neill will see a lot of Kennedy. I think he is the only one with the combination of speed and strength who can handle the matchup. Often they use him as a middie and have him dodging from up top. We may have to consider double polling the midfield if that is the case. I think sowers, O’Neill, Nakie, and Robertson all require a pole no matter where they are. Fortunately there is a fairly significant drop in scariness as a dodger after those 4. I think the biggest factor will be offball D when sowers has the ball. While they didn’t capitalize, Holy Cross and Stony Brook both got looks to guys offball, often even without beating their man and that was one average D1 guy passing to another, not Sowers passing to Dyson Williams.

Game to be played outside on Bermuda grass with temp forecasted to be above 7o with humidity in high sixties.. Need to avoid any wilting by using proven subs and getting fair share of possessions.

Hiltz insertion has given huge boost to attack and offense in general. Been strange watching the attack be the primary producers these past few games but expect that to shift back to our midfield if Duke plays it straight up. If Cuse is crisp then they will score because they likely will always have six capable of scoring on the field. Duke has been susceptible to ball watching and backdoor cuts and Cuse does have several good passers. Curry and Dordevic didnt score vs Holy Cross so plenty of ammo in holster. Look for mids to initiate more this game , just have to stay away from low percentage shots and let better opportunities come because they know will. Mentioned keeping fresh. Growing confidence seen by Seebold and Quinn. As far as Cook, he was finally settling at attack last year before season shut down. Supplanted by a special talent so now undertaking another role that he needs to settle into. No problem with him on faceoffs at times since he is very good on gb's. Only issue is matching up defensively on losses since some wont be favorable. Kennedy has had to initiate his own transition without benefit of pass outside two smart DiPietro relays. Over five games , seen only one pass upfield to any lsm from goalmouth which isn't the way to jumpstart transition. Porter needs to let it fly ie Madonna when opportunity presents. Naso is good but be less concern if that Vermont outlier not seen. Be content to split which could be likely result . Sowers has taken less than five shots a game, more focused on delivering ball on target to raised sticks . He will hold and wait for motion to free , not sure how Robertson gets so open but gotta stick with as he's a top finisher. Wykoff very good defending x so shouldn't be quick to slide because Sowers will find whoever left open. Duke will initiate up top as well with dodges . Expecting Oneill to shoot much in a showcase of top two freshman. Whover covers cant play him with stick because he'll go right through . They can throw numbers at you at mid but Montgomery is their Dordevic/Curry combo with his ability to shake and pass. Adler is very good but Porter has been tested more and in bigger stages , he has been very sharp and settled in the last four games and hopefully that continues. Should be a good game if Cuse plays up to capabilities.

Game to be played outside on Bermuda grass with temp forecasted to be above 7o with humidity in high sixties.. Need to avoid any wilting by using proven subs and getting fair share of possessions.

Hiltz insertion has given huge boost to attack and offense in general. Been strange watching the attack be the primary producers these past few games but expect that to shift back to our midfield if Duke plays it straight up. If Cuse is crisp then they will score because they likely will always have six capable of scoring on the field. Duke has been susceptible to ball watching and backdoor cuts and Cuse does have several good passers. Curry and Dordevic didnt score vs Holy Cross so plenty of ammo in holster. Look for mids to initiate more this game , just have to stay away from low percentage shots and let better opportunities come because they know will. Mentioned keeping fresh. Growing confidence seen by Seebold and Quinn. As far as Cook, he was finally settling at attack last year before season shut down. Supplanted by a special talent so now undertaking another role that he needs to settle into. No problem with him on faceoffs at times since he is very good on gb's. Only issue is matching up defensively on losses since some wont be favorable. Kennedy has had to initiate his own transition without benefit of pass outside two smart DiPietro relays. Over five games , seen only one pass upfield to any lsm from goalmouth which isn't the way to jumpstart transition. Porter needs to let it fly ie Madonna when opportunity presents. Naso is good but be less concern if that Vermont outlier not seen. Be content to split which could be likely result . Sowers has taken less than five shots a game, more focused on delivering ball on target to raised sticks . He will hold and wait for motion to free , not sure how Robertson gets so open but gotta stick with as he's a top finisher. Wykoff very good defending x so shouldn't be quick to slide because Sowers will find whoever left open. Duke will initiate up top as well with dodges . Expecting Oneill to shoot much in a showcase of top two freshman. Whover covers cant play him with stick because he'll go right through . They can throw numbers at you at mid but Montgomery is their Dordevic/Curry combo with his ability to shake and pass. Adler is very good but Porter has been tested more and in bigger stages , he has been very sharp and settled in the last four games and hopefully that continues. Should be a good game if Cuse plays up to capabilities.
As noted, the weather looks great for the game. Current forecast is for no rain, 68 degrees and sunset at 7:30 so good for field vision under the lights. I wonder which Cuse players like putting on Bermuda grass :cool:

I think the biggest factor will be offball D when sowers has the ball. While they didn’t capitalize, Holy Cross and Stony Brook both got looks to guys offball, often even without beating their man and that was one average D1 guy passing to another, not Sowers passing to Dyson Williams.

Yes, I think this is the biggest worry if you are a SU fan. I am curious to see what strategy the Orange employs when Sowers has his man "hung up" behind the goal. He is excellent in these situations - if you don't chase he takes his time until a cutter appears for an easy dunk, and if you chase, he's so fast he can dunk it himself. The Orange have really not been great with off ball stuff this year. They've looked better with the ball at X since Wykoff was inserted into the lineup, but they really haven't seen an X attackman like Sowers yet. Will be a big test.

They can’t shut Sowers off, but they’ll need to press out to him when he’s the adjacent pass. Deter the pass to him if they want to avoid the hang ups.

They can’t shut Sowers off, but they’ll need to press out to him when he’s the adjacent pass. Deter the pass to him if they want to avoid the hang ups.
Agree. You can't expect the D or Porter to shut Sowers down. I would prefer to limit his opportunities from behind as he is deadly one-on-one with any goalie, much like Chris Gray or Bernhardt.
Efficient shooting by our offense and clock management for our possessions will be critical.

Yes, I think this is the biggest worry if you are a SU fan. I am curious to see what strategy the Orange employs when Sowers has his man "hung up" behind the goal. He is excellent in these situations - if you don't chase he takes his time until a cutter appears for an easy dunk, and if you chase, he's so fast he can dunk it himself. The Orange have really not been great with off ball stuff this year. They've looked better with the ball at X since Wykoff was inserted into the lineup, but they really haven't seen an X attackman like Sowers yet. Will be a big test.
I think it is a pretty good sign that Wycoff didn't get completely dusted by Moore at any point during the UVA game. Moore is one of the most explosive dodgers in the nation and put Kennedy through the ringer a couple times early in the game. I think the reason Moore scored 0 goals vs a couple has more to do with an off shooting day for him (he had at least a couple solid looks in the 1 v 1), but Wycoff did a great job. Wycoff seems slower than Kennedy but is more efficient with his movements and just seems to have a higher IQ when it comes to positioning and knowing when to be less aggressive when guarding a guy from X.

Sometimes Kennedy seems to underestimate his man, take too aggressive an approach, and pay dearly for it. Happened with Bertrand up top, Moore, and maybe once with Nichtern as well. Also a couple times with Holden of Hobart last year where he just went for big checks for no reason and got burned because of it. I think he has the physical attributes to be one of the best cover guys in the nation, but he has taken a step back compared to how good he looked in 2019 IMO. That year I legit think I only saw him get burned one time and that was against Costabile. He has never been a take away artist like Mellen was and we don't need him to be. Feel like he needs to focus on just not needing a slide rather than taking the ball away.

I think it is a pretty good sign that Wycoff didn't get completely dusted by Moore at any point during the UVA game. Moore is one of the most explosive dodgers in the nation and put Kennedy through the ringer a couple times early in the game. I think the reason Moore scored 0 goals vs a couple has more to do with an off shooting day for him (he had at least a couple solid looks in the 1 v 1), but Wycoff did a great job. Wycoff seems slower than Kennedy but is more efficient with his movements and just seems to have a higher IQ when it comes to positioning and knowing when to be less aggressive when guarding a guy from X.

Sometimes Kennedy seems to underestimate his man, take too aggressive an approach, and pay dearly for it. Happened with Bertrand up top, Moore, and maybe once with Nichtern as well. Also a couple times with Holden of Hobart last year where he just went for big checks for no reason and got burned because of it. I think he has the physical attributes to be one of the best cover guys in the nation, but he has taken a step back compared to how good he looked in 2019 IMO. That year I legit think I only saw him get burned one time and that was against Costabile. He has never been a take away artist like Mellen was and we don't need him to be. Feel like he needs to focus on just not needing a slide rather than taking the ball away.
I would say that Mitch is a better technical defender than Kennedy but Kennedy is way more athletic. As for the Moore situation, Mitch did a great job but wasn’t really dodged on. Kennedy got beat once. Seems as tho Kennedy gets beat the first time every game but adjusts quickly. Wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s taken a step back, he hasn’t gave up a goal in a few games. Granted he’s not getting dodged on but that should speak for itself. Just checked the stats, he finished with 5 ground balls, 3 cts, and an assist last week. If that’s a step back, we shouldn’t have too much to worry about here. It’s him and connors as the best lsms in the country IMO. Will be interested to see Mitch on sowers, he has great lateral movement. Should be a good matchup. Would think he maybe face guards him. Assuming Kennedy gets Montgomery when he’s on the field. Should be a physical match up. Wouldn’t be surprised if some flags are thrown. My biggest concern for this game is their other scorers. We also need to go 60 percent at x to win this game. Phaup has been great, he will bring it. Dominated the last few games. As for the Duke game, who does jt Giles guard? I live down in South Carolina now, would of loved to made a trip to Duke for this one.

I would say that Mitch is a better technical defender than Kennedy but Kennedy is way more athletic. As for the Moore situation, Mitch did a great job but wasn’t really dodged on. Kennedy got beat once. Seems as tho Kennedy gets beat the first time every game but adjusts quickly. Wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s taken a step back, he hasn’t gave up a goal in a few games. Granted he’s not getting dodged on but that should speak for itself. Just checked the stats, he finished with 5 ground balls, 3 cts, and an assist last week. If that’s a step back, we shouldn’t have too much to worry about here. It’s him and connors as the best lsms in the country IMO. Will be interested to see Mitch on sowers, he has great lateral movement. Should be a good matchup. Would think he maybe face guards him. Assuming Kennedy gets Montgomery when he’s on the field. Should be a physical match up. Wouldn’t be surprised if some flags are thrown. My biggest concern for this game is their other scorers. We also need to go 60 percent at x to win this game. Phaup has been great, he will bring it. Dominated the last few games. As for the Duke game, who does jt Giles guard? I live down in South Carolina now, would of loved to made a trip to Duke for this one.
Yes thinking he will be on Nakie or O'Neill. If O'Neill comes out of the box as a "middie" instead of starting on attack then I hope we don't hesitate to double pole him and Nakie.

Yeah we might have to double pole. Should be a good one! I’m expecting big game from tucker. Quiet week last week. Our first line mids are gonna have to shine and play a lot of minutes. Red buttermore back for this one. Hoping his injury is minor. Think we should stick with 6 offensive mids this week

Yeah we might have to double pole. Should be a good one! I’m expecting big game from tucker. Quiet week last week. Our first line mids are gonna have to shine and play a lot of minutes. Red buttermore back for this one. Hoping his injury is minor. Think we should stick with 6 offensive mids this week
Glad to hear about buttermore. He would start on most teams this year with his talent and is due to go off in one of these games.

Yes thinking he will be on Nakie or O'Neill. If O'Neill comes out of the box as a "middie" instead of starting on attack then I hope we don't hesitate to double pole him and Nakie.

SU is not a big double polling team or at least it hasn't been under Desko. I am assuming g SU will almost assuredly put Kennedy on O'Neil and then try and see if Dami can stay with Nakie who can be inconsistent at times. SU is going to have to pick its poison so I think they will try and short stick Nakie first and see what happens.

Last edited:

I have to say, and maybe I have said this before - Wykoff is not the defender I expected him to be, and I think that is a good thing. I was basically expecting the second coming of Kennedy, maybe better on groundballs but mostly known for his transition play. I thought he would be great on the face-off wings, and maybe that is the only place he would show up. Instead he's basically been a lockdown defender - I know there are a lot of factors, but his cover still hasn't scored a goal this season.

The one thing he hasn't done is crossed the midfield line. I think it was the Holy Cross game he had the ball right at the 50 yard line and instead of crossing over (he was unmarked) he passed it off to Dami. I was surprised given the amount of points he put up at Gettysburg he didn't even try to go to the goal. Maybe it is injury related (he missed the Army game of course) or maybe the coaches have just emphasized that they need him at close defense and that's where his focus needs to be. Either way if thats something that needs to be sacrificed to make sure SU has a lockdown defender, I am okay with it.

Usually be arriving a day before game to practice but covid changes. Short time to acclimate to grass field. Wonder about different cleats , saw Sowers having difficult time cutting on it in first few games at Kosinken

Be interesting to see how Cuse plays that . Sowers is quick but Wykoff is good athlete with really good feet and balance who can stick with Sowers so prefer he challenges Sowers and limit his chances to setup behind. Sowers is not as aggressive as Bernhardt in dodging round cage or as effective operating outside as Gray. Problems arise when able to 'hang ' behind cage waiting to pass because someone will eventually spring free if allowed to freely peruse.

The next lax rule change imo should be a 'count' for hanger to either initiate a move or leave area within a short time, a inbounder in hoops under the opponents basket has five seconds, imagine basketball having a minute of more to let teammates continually set screens and weave in and out. Not sour grapes as Refhuss occasionally does the same to some success but think a sport that advertises itself as the fastest game should set limits because same activity could happen displaying greater skills.

Be interesting to see how Cuse plays that . Sowers is quick but Wykoff is good athlete with really good feet and balance who can stick with Sowers so prefer he challenges Sowers and limit his chances to setup behind. Sowers is not as aggressive as Bernhardt in dodging round cage or as effective operating outside as Gray. Problems arise when able to 'hang ' behind cage waiting to pass because someone will eventually spring free if allowed to freely peruse.

The next lax rule change imo should be a 'count' for hanger to either initiate a move or leave area within a short time, a inbounder in hoops under the opponents basket has five seconds, imagine basketball having a minute of more to let teammates continually set screens and weave in and out. Not sour grapes as Refhuss occasionally does the same to some success but think a sport that advertises itself as the fastest game should set limits because same activity could happen displaying greater skills.
Disagree completely with your thoughts on Attack getting the defense hung up. It's not the same as an inbounds play since the attack is in bounds and can be checked/covered by a defender. Secondly, it's on the defense that the defender is hung up, not the attack. The defender is deciding not to go behind to defend because he's afraid the attack will beat him around to GLE. Also, some zone defenses purposely don't go behind to play the ball carrier so you are suggesting the offense be penalized because the defense refuses to play the ball behind. I think that's a bad idea.

Disagree completely with your thoughts on Attack getting the defense hung up. It's not the same as an inbounds play since the attack is in bounds and can be checked/covered by a defender. Secondly, it's on the defense that the defender is hung up, not the attack. The defender is deciding not to go behind to defend because he's afraid the attack will beat him around to GLE. Also, some zone defenses purposely don't go behind to play the ball carrier so you are suggesting the offense be penalized because the defense refuses to play the ball behind. I think that's a bad idea.
Good points, has me reassessing my view. Just have watched Sowers in games stand there behind cage for most of shot clock with others weaving in and out and question if that should have time .Same when Refhuss is behind and defender in front. Your point is up to defense to prevent those setups and hopefully Cuse can .Unlike many Cuse rarely plays zone. Seen Porter occasionally go behind to hedge but not a fan of that .Wykoff does nice job not getting caught up in screens, goes under and swims stick over pick ala T Bomberry. Duke now able to initiate from below and up top. Duke clearly better and deeper version. than last year after additions.

Good points, has me reassessing my view. Just have watched Sowers in games stand there behind cage for most of shot clock with others weaving in and out and question if that should have time .Same when Refhuss is behind and defender in front. Your point is up to defense to prevent those setups and hopefully Cuse can .Unlike many Cuse rarely plays zone. Seen Porter occasionally go behind to hedge but not a fan of that .Wykoff does nice job not getting caught up in screens, goes under and swims stick over pick ala T Bomberry. Duke now able to initiate from below and up top. Duke clearly better and deeper version. than last year after additions.
I understand your point and it got me thinking as well. I remember when the Tarheels Sankey and Bitter would always get their defender hung up and they earned that advantage but it was pre shot clock and pace of play would grind to a halt. Painful to watch, but I still think the onus is on the defense. I think Wykoff has the feet to stay with Sowers but it's a difficult task.

I watched Sowers at Princeton several full games and I have watched all his Duke games. I have never seen him uncomfortable with the ball. At Princeton, he dominated games with virtuosic individual moves such as feinting three, yes three, poles out of their underwear, then scoring with acrobatic moves. Every second he has the ball is a potential disaster for the other team. How about a semi shut off that keeps the ball out of his stick for some of the clock, then forces him through a good double to pass the ball from a distance less conducive to easy scores, like near the side or back out of bounds lines instead of three feet from the goal. He is Mike Powell without the impulsiveness. Scary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom