Duke Game Preview (3/26/22 at Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Preview (3/26/22 at Noon)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
The Orange welcome the Duke Blue Devils to the Dome for the first time since 2017 (2019 was played at CNS and 2020 wasn't played). The Orange really need a win here in their drive for four more wins, and haven't won back to back games yet this season. The Devils come in with three losses and are unexpectedly ranked right at 10. Still, Duke has a ton of talent and should give the Orange everything they have. They've started their last two games very slowly, combining for just four goals in the first halves against Towson and Loyola - but have finished strong scoring 20 combined goals in the second halves of each game. They lost to Loyola and beat by Towson.

Duke comes in once again with a very good offense, but one that seems unbalanced. Brennan O'Neil leads the group with 42 points, followed by Dyson Williams with 38. But O'Neil is dominating shots for the Devils, he has an absurd 110 on the season, which is more than double the next highest producer (Williams). I imagine given his size and familiarity with O'Neil from their Team 91 days that Caccomo will draw the matchup here. The rest of the Duke offense is hard to get a read on as they seem to be trying to go "position-less". They aren't getting much production from their reserves and are relying mostly on their starting six. They still don't really have a QB of the group (though neither does the Orange), but five players have double digit assists, led by the freshman Andrew McAdory with 16. It's hard to tell who should get a pole on this offense, but I would think the Penn transfer Lulley and Montgomery should definitely draw one. Roberston isn't a dynamic dodger but can definitely take advantage of a short stick. Williams is too good of a player to leave a short stick on. I think it's best to try your luck shorting McAdory and Aiden Danenza but it will be a tall task for the Orange defense. Bobby Gavin will have to play well here and the Orange can't foul like they did against Stony Brook.

Syracuse nearly won last year down in Durham despite winning very few face-offs. Jake Naso has picked up where he left off last year and is winning 61% of his draws. Phaup has looked improved this season but he'll need to do better than he did last year (he was just 1-10). TD Irelan's coaching seems to be working this year but this will be the units biggest test yet.

Offensively, we saw a lot of good things from the Orange last week but there are still things that need to be improved upon. At this point it does not seem like the general strategy is going to change, this will for all intents and purposes be the Tucker and Brendan show. We have yet to see secondary scoring options emerge. I haven't seen a lot of Duke this season, but they pretty much roll out the same sort of defense year after year. They have big and athletic guys all over the field and they don't slide much. That said they still like to ball watch and you can cause them a lot of headaches with assisted goals - Loyola did this very well. Unfortunately that hasn't been the Orange's forte this year. Dordevic gets a lot of grief for not passing the ball much, but he still leads the team with a (paltry) nine assists. The ball movement against Stony Brook was better, and the coaches actually ran two midfields fairly evenly. I hope this trend continues against the Devils.

The other major storyline is injuries - Syracuse was without their two second line d-middies in Max Rosa and Dami and their first liner Lucas Quinn. Both Quinn and Rosa were in arm-braces last week so I'd be surprised if they played this week. Tyler Cordes chipped in with a goal in place of Quinn but made some other not so good plays. He's still a redshirt freshman and you can see the talent, but he'll have to play better.

SU has played Duke well the last few years, and all the games have been close. Dating back to 2016 I think every regular season game has been decided by one goal. This is a winnable game for the Orange but they need to play well. The Devils look "off" this year, but have clearly shown they put up a lot of points and have been decent teams by large margins. Syracuse really needs to play a full sixty minutes, not turn the ball over and really play inspired.

McAdory and Nakie are the scary ones. One is not getting the long pole, and both can pass. Maybe Carter rice with his foot speed can head them off a little but there will still have to be some slides ready. If Phaup can continue his run at the x that would go a long way. We tend to do well against them on O, but last year we had a lot of success off of nice motion/feeds for goals, which has taken a step back with this squad. Dordevic and curry taking further steps in their role as feeders will be crucial.

DePietro did a great job on ONeill last year. He had just enough foot speed to keep with him and the physicality to not give him anything when he lowers the shoulder. Caccamo is probably the closest to last years Depetro. He did a fantastic job last week and Palonetti is pretty fast. But if you have to slide to ONeill don’t be shy! He is not a serious threat as a feeder. What you really don’t want to do is leave him open on outside shots, no matter how far out. That is where he can be the most intimidating.

Last year Sowers was the main man, this year it's Oneill and he's firing away . DiPietro size did do a nice job but not yet back. . Kennedy covered Pallonetti and likely to takes him especially if Lully not at attack. Doubt we slide much as it plays into their strength. Rice and Aviles have speed to stick with Mcadory but Lully n Montgomery are tough and both need to be poled. Willams converts whatever he receives in space.. Saw zone used at times last week and could see again but leery as Duke does have several good passers in Robertson and mids up top. Still comes down to a few factors .Phaup vs Naso obviously one of the keys and hopefully Gavin sharp again. Not going to be low scoring , Dordevic and Curry need help from supporting cast

Just noticed that Duke started Lulley at attack last week with Oneill and Robertson. Not sure where Williams played when he got on field but Danowski has been mixing and moving Lully up and down which complicates d planning some. Oneill, Lully, Montgomery have to be poled and some past attempts of short sticking Robertson have generally been a failure. However arranged , Duke does have a formidable starting six on offense but somewhat surprised shots not more widely spread given last year.. Rarely mentioned but Duke does have some talent on 2nd mid line, not sure if utilized much . Naso at 61% on season but at 50% in their losses. Duke manup at crazy 64% success, Cuse needs to stay out of box.

Last year Sowers was the main man, this year it's Oneill and he's firing away . DiPietro size did do a nice job but not yet back. . Kennedy covered Pallonetti and likely to takes him especially if Lully not at attack. Doubt we slide much as it plays into their strength. Rice and Aviles have speed to stick with Mcadory but Lully n Montgomery are tough and both need to be poled. Willams converts whatever he receives in space.. Saw zone used at times last week and could see again but leery as Duke does have several good passers in Robertson and mids up top. Still comes down to a few factors .Phaup vs Naso obviously one of the keys and hopefully Gavin sharp again. Not going to be low scoring , Dordevic and Curry need help from supporting cast
Caccamo did cover Palonetti a handful of times in the second half. Went about as well as one could hope. He looks better every game and hopefully that continues. A couple freshman mistakes against hopkins but not much of that against Stony Brook.

When in zone. Much to like he was terrific in SB and just fine at JHU . Saw some separation on dodges behind cage in earlier games but otherwise very sound with a very active stick that creates turnovers without losing position. D next year should be in good shape with him and some other returning defenders on roster plus the incoming d recruits. Little by little seeing progress by many on that end as they adapt to packages that are a bit more varied than last .Gonna need that to continue. Tough road ahead

In doing summation stats for Duke it might be reasonable to mention that Duke has played 11 games already.
For example, O'Neill has scored 42 points in 11 games, which is 3.81 pts per game, while Dordevic has scored only 35 points for Syracuse, but it 7 games, which is 5.00 pts per game.

Agree with Ivory on the penalties being a concern as well. Kennedy had a good game overall but also had two completely uncalled for unnecessary roughness penalties against stony brook. Remember all our complaints about Bomberry's penalty minutes? Well Saam Olexo has already hit Bomberry level numbers and it has only been 7 games (8 penalties for 6:30 mins). He often goes for the big hit at the wrong time. Some times the physical play is necessary, but this group has had some bonehead penalties where aggressive play is hardly an excuse.

Comments about goalies are disturbing IMO. He says Gavin was given the last start so they wouldn't "lose him" meaning, I guess, they want to keep him sharp. Not a resounding vote of confidence for either guy. This is like Lars Tiffany but with a negative tone. At least Lars was positive about his goalies when there was a competition :cool:

Of course, to be honest, Gait has had very little positive to say about ANY specific players. I hope he is more positive with the players in private. He almost makes Desko look like an emotional, player promoter!!It will be interesting to see if Gait goes to the transfer portal for a goalie with McCool coming in.

If he does go to the portal, he should only go for a proven commodity against elite shooters on strong teams. Dobson for example has played well for the Bonnies but the strength of opposition is extremely weak with no teams even close to being ranked right now. Look at how Matt Nunes, a good goalie (#1 ranked freshman) fared against Maryland.

Comments about goalies are disturbing IMO. He says Gavin was given the last start so they wouldn't "lose him" meaning, I guess, they want to keep him sharp. Not a resounding vote of confidence for either guy. This is like Lars Tiffany but with a negative tone. At least Lars was positive about his goalies when there was a competition :cool:

Of course, to be honest, Gait has had very little positive to say about ANY specific players. I hope he is more positive with the players in private. He almost makes Desko look like an emotional, player promoter!!It will be interesting to see if Gait goes to the transfer portal for a goalie with McCool coming in.

If he does go to the portal, he should only go for a proven commodity against elite shooters on strong teams. Dobson for example has played well for the Bonnies but the strength of opposition is extremely weak with no teams even close to being ranked right now. Look at how Matt Nunes, a good goalie (#1 ranked freshman) fared against Maryland.
Dobson is an elite goalie. We would be extremely fortunate if we were able to land him. Have seen him play against good D1 teams at Bonaventure and for team Canada against team USA, where he excelled/far outplayed Porter. Even in games this year where he is getting shelled, like their 17-3 loss to richmond, he is still saving at above 50 percent (had 19 saves in that one). 66% on the year is preposterous no matter who the comp is. He will be a big name in both pro leagues.

Dobson is an elite goalie. We would be extremely fortunate if we were able to land him. Have seen him play against good D1 teams at Bonaventure and for team Canada against team USA, where he excelled/far outplayed Porter. Even in games this year where he is getting shelled, like their 17-3 loss to richmond, he is still saving at above 50 percent (had 19 saves in that one). 66% on the year is preposterous no matter who the comp is. He will be a big name in both pro leagues.
I agree that Dobson is a good goalie. My point is that he has not faced any top 20 teams the past few seasons let alone the pressure cooker of playing elite top 10 teams that he would face all the time at Cuse. Exhibitions against the US are valuable for him but comparing him to Porter or other top goalies is premature as those goalies have faced the top teams every week for a few years.

As an example, Adler did well at St Josephs (who had a tougher schedule than the Bonnies in the MAAC) but he wasn't viewed as a legit top goalie until he proved it at Duke. If Dobson transfers to a top team and plays very well, then all the questions are answered.

I like the upside of both of our goalies. In their first year playing (Gavin game experience at uva was very limited ) and already seen glimpses of both being more than capable. Good reflexes and ability to outlet with personalities that fit the position. Should progress with more playing experience though present sharing arrangement if continued lessens that . Can better assess all needs at end of season but right now helps to be supportive.

I think it's a positive that Gavin seemingly responded well with his opportunity last weekend. So in your scenario, if Gavin plays well the rest of the way is there a need to hit the portal for the position? Also I ask this not sure if you know specifically, but I don't follow recruiting enough, is McCool a good enough prospect that he has a good shot of coming in next year and starting as a Freshman? I see he's a 4 star recruit on the IL site for whatever that's worth.

I like the upside of both of our goalies. In their first year playing (Gavin game experience at uva was very limited ) and already seen glimpses of both being more than capable. Good reflexes and ability to outlet with personalities that fit the position. Should progress with more playing experience though present sharing arrangement if continued lessens that . Can better assess all needs at end of season but right now helps to be supp
McCool appears to have some good potential (named to USA under 18 team) but any freshman is a question mark.

I agree that Dobson is a good goalie. My point is that he has not faced any top 20 teams the past few seasons let alone the pressure cooker of playing elite top 10 teams that he would face all the time at Cuse. Exhibitions against the US are valuable for him but comparing him to Porter or other top goalies is premature as those goalies have faced the top teams every week for a few years.

As an example, Adler did well at St Josephs (who had a tougher schedule than the Bonnies in the MAAC) but he wasn't viewed as a legit top goalie until he proved it at Duke. If Dobson transfers to a top team and plays very well, then all the questions are answered.
IMO the numbers are too good with Dobson for it to not translate to higher competition. Kind of like how a guy putting up massive numbers as an attack for a lesser D1 school is highly likely to have an impact if he transfers to higher level d1 (as we have seen many times). You mention Adler and yes his schedule was tougher than the Bonnies at St Joes (I would argue not a boatload tougher) but Dobson put up 56% in goal as a freshman on a newly formed team that went 0-13! You saw how Porter's percentages dropped when he was getting little help from the D in front of him last year. Imagine how little help you are getting if the team is 0-13? I saw him play against Denver that year and it was the most I have seen a goalie stand out in a D1 game perhaps ever. He was also a highly rated prospect out of the hill academy so it is pretty impressive that the Bonnies landed him in the first place. I guarantee if you find some footage and you will not be disappointed!

IMO the numbers are too good with Dobson for it to not translate to higher competition. Kind of like how a guy putting up massive numbers as an attack for a lesser D1 school is highly likely to have an impact if he transfers to higher level d1 (as we have seen many times). You mention Adler and yes his schedule was tougher than the Bonnies at St Joes (I would argue not a boatload tougher) but Dobson put up 56% in goal as a freshman on a newly formed team that went 0-13! You saw how Porter's percentages dropped when he was getting little help from the D in front of him last year. Imagine how little help you are getting if the team is 0-13? I saw him play against Denver that year and it was the most I have seen a goalie stand out in a D1 game perhaps ever. He was also a highly rated prospect out of the hill academy so it is pretty impressive that the Bonnies landed him in the first place. I guarantee if you find some footage and you will not be disappointed!
I hear you. I have seen footage of Dobson and he looks very good. What you and I both can't prove is how he would do against the best shooters on Duke, UVA etc. and how well he would manage the pressure of playing in front of big crowds. Also, save percentages can be misleading at times - numbers are a function of quality of defense, saves made at critical times and maybe most important, quality of shots. In your example, Porter and Alex Rode, Adler etc faced very high quality shooters like Sowers, Oneill, Kavanagh, Gray etc almost every week. I'm sure most of the goalies in the ACC look to pad their stats against non-conference teams 'cause they know it's much tougher in the ACC (or Ivies, BIG10).

What is clear is that Dobson is outperforming goalies in the MAAC and other non top 20/30 programs.
If Dobson transfers to a top team which he should be able to do, he will have a chance to prove himself and I will be the first to applaud him if he does.

I think it's a positive that Gavin seemingly responded well with his opportunity last weekend. So in your scenario, if Gavin plays well the rest of the way is there a need to hit the portal for the position? Also I ask this not sure if you know specifically, but I don't follow recruiting enough, is McCool a good enough prospect that he has a good shot of coming in next year and starting as a Freshman? I see he's a 4 star recruit on the IL site for whatever that's worth.
If Gavin or Thompson play well the rest of the way then Id say NO. Sure Dobson is good but be little need to bring in a goalie for one season unless team was a FF calibre team only held back by goaltending which isn't the case . Seen fluctuations in goalie performances even in established goalies when its agaisnt weekly top comp, Entenman struggled until last game . Kirson also starred at Hill and was at 53% at OSU over his years there only to drop to 38% in his first year at JHU. At this stage of development rather see a goalie grow with the team rather than be one and done. Cuse carries five goalies which is somewhat ridiculous but all are actually competent. The one local who got away to the cries of many is a sub elsewhere at 38%. if Gavin/Thompson show well in remaining games then expect portal focus to be at fogo and middle as Phaup and Curry leave big holes.

Agree about Gait. What is it with him? I was thinking "lose him" meant he would lose hope and quit. Gait can't miss an opportunity to disparage an individual player. I find it difficult to like the guy.

Any of you big dawgs going to the game and want to get a pregame brew with bigmancuse? Jeremy? Powell? Doctah?

Kinda insulted bigman that I didnt make your invite list . Still irked at my 1-3 predict ? lol, jk. those posting during game might be watching on tv. TV captures alot but try to attend when able because see more of what is happening across field including reactions and interactions on sidelines that tell more.. SB great venue with many cuse fans there but some posts suggest some didnt. Duke game at noon is too early to pregame . You might want to consider having breakfast and hitting concession stand during game lol. A shout out for any meet and greet better for UNC, Cornell and UVA . all those home games at 4. Think Jeremy Cuse use to mamnage football tailgates if you attend fb games but not sure he does same for lax, there are usually many informal pregame gatherings in the open parking lots behind Irving garage but few for noon games.

Any of you big dawgs going to the game and want to get a pregame brew with bigmancuse? Jeremy? Powell? Doctah?

Can't make the game tomorrow unfortunately but will be up for one of the remaining home games. Hopefully Club 44 will be re-opened.

Kinda insulted bigman that I didnt make your invite list . Still irked at my 1-3 predict ? lol, jk. those posting during game might be watching on tv. TV captures alot but try to attend when able because see more of what is happening across field including reactions and interactions on sidelines that tell more.. SB great venue with many cuse fans there but some posts suggest some didnt. Duke game at noon is too early to pregame . You might want to consider having breakfast and hitting concession stand during game lol. A shout out for any meet and greet better for UNC, Cornell and UVA . all those home games at 4. Think Jeremy Cuse use to mamnage football tailgates if you attend fb games but not sure he does same for lax, there are usually many informal pregame gatherings in the open parking lots behind Irving garage but few for noon games.

Agree with IT, always good to attend a few games though I feel I can sometimes pick up more on TV as far as off ball movements, defensive issues, personnel moves etc.

Definitely plan on making a few of the later games but unless Ivory is going to fly us all down the 4pm start at UNC is probably unlikely, lol

The UVA game seems like the best bet for a potential tailgate. As IT noted I do help run the fine lot tailgates for football which are a massive success and I would recommend those on the lax board including IT Powell and others join us one game this fall. Tailgates for lax are a bit tougher with the weather usually a crapshoot but we used to do at least one every year but its been a while. Will see about doing something for the UVA game so keep your schedules open.

watching the last few games the defense is allowing the long cross crease pass to the open post all day.
PETRO...the D has to knock that sucker down ! no more porch steps dunks. gotta get a stick in there .
and a lot of this falls on the goalie. he needs to be more vocal there . we lack experience in that respect.
if you see an unguarded stick up by the far post crease . call it out. cuz you ain't gonna stuff it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom