Duke Game Preview (April 27th, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Preview (April 27th, Noon)

Powellfan

All American
Pressure doesn't get much bigger than this, with Syracuse facing one of the top teams in the country with a potential bid to the NCAA Tournament on the line. Win, and seemingly they are in (lose and they most certainly are not). SU lost a heartbreaker to Duke earlier this year. Can they steal a bid here against one of the best teams in the country on the road?

SU, for all intents and purposes probably should have won the game against Duke earlier in the year, with a shot on goal in overtime. However if SU hopes to follow the same game plan against the Blue Devils, they will be in trouble. SU won only 9 of 30 face-offs and were outshot by more than double (!!!) 66-32. Duke hit a bunch of pipes (we know because the announcers lost their minds every time it happened). The Orange simply can't hope to win with those same numbers. They have to find a better formula and they have to find someway to win more face-offs. Neither Fine (2-8) or Richiusa (7-22) did very well against Jake Naso the last time out. Something has to be done but I'm not sure what it is.

The Duke game was the first time the Orange coaches mixed things up personnel wise during the season, moving Cole Kirst to attack and Saam Olexo downlow to cover Andrew MacAdory (held to one goal on 11 shots). Landon Clary guarded Brennan O'Neil. I'd like to see Olexo and his physicals style move over to guard O'Neil, as it seemed like the Blue Devil Tewaarton candidate outmuscled Clary quite a bit last time. I am hoping that the coaches saw the errors of their ways and find a place for Billy Dwan this game. I think he'd do a good job against Dyson Williams and hopefully Clary can bounce back with his speed against MacAdory. The Duke midfield isn't quite as terrifying as they are most years, but Syracuse shorties really need to play their best game this time out.

Last time out it seemed like Duke wasn't quite prepared for Kirst being on attack and he had a breakout performance with five points. Obviously the SU offense sputtered against UVA last time out and Duke will most definitely try and employ a similar defense gameplan. Orange offensive players need to beat their man in this game, period. Jackson Birtwistle had a good game as a first line midfielder with three goals last time out against Duke, but has since then been moved to the second line. I doubt they will change things up but it's been curious to me why Birtwistle was moved to the second line. I wouldn't mind seeing him back up to the first for this game. The Orange seemed to be trending up with games against Princeton and UNC, they dipped against UVA. They will have to have a big bounce back against Duke and have to, have to limit turnovers in this one.

Bottom line is SU needs to play this game with their hair on fire. Its the last game of the year and there is everything to play for.

Pressure doesn't get much bigger than this, with Syracuse facing one of the top teams in the country with a potential bid to the NCAA Tournament on the line. Win, and seemingly they are in (lose and they most certainly are not). SU lost a heartbreaker to Duke earlier this year. Can they steal a bid here against one of the best teams in the country on the road?

SU, for all intents and purposes probably should have won the game against Duke earlier in the year, with a shot on goal in overtime. However if SU hopes to follow the same game plan against the Blue Devils, they will be in trouble. SU won only 9 of 30 face-offs and were outshot by more than double (!!!) 66-32. Duke hit a bunch of pipes (we know because the announcers lost their minds every time it happened). The Orange simply can't hope to win with those same numbers. They have to find a better formula and they have to find someway to win more face-offs. Neither Fine (2-8) or Richiusa (7-22) did very well against Jake Naso the last time out. Something has to be done but I'm not sure what it is.

The Duke game was the first time the Orange coaches mixed things up personnel wise during the season, moving Cole Kirst to attack and Saam Olexo downlow to cover Andrew MacAdory (held to one goal on 11 shots). Landon Clary guarded Brennan O'Neil. I'd like to see Olexo and his physicals style move over to guard O'Neil, as it seemed like the Blue Devil Tewaarton candidate outmuscled Clary quite a bit last time. I am hoping that the coaches saw the errors of their ways and find a place for Billy Dwan this game. I think he'd do a good job against Dyson Williams and hopefully Clary can bounce back with his speed against MacAdory. The Duke midfield isn't quite as terrifying as they are most years, but Syracuse shorties really need to play their best game this time out.

Last time out it seemed like Duke wasn't quite prepared for Kirst being on attack and he had a breakout performance with five points. Obviously the SU offense sputtered against UVA last time out and Duke will most definitely try and employ a similar defense gameplan. Orange offensive players need to beat their man in this game, period. Jackson Birtwistle had a good game as a first line midfielder with three goals last time out against Duke, but has since then been moved to the second line. I doubt they will change things up but it's been curious to me why Birtwistle was moved to the second line. I wouldn't mind seeing him back up to the first for this game. The Orange seemed to be trending up with games against Princeton and UNC, they dipped against UVA. They will have to have a big bounce back against Duke and have to, have to limit turnovers in this one.

Bottom line is SU needs to play this game with their hair on fire. Its the last game of the year and there is everything to play for.
Great write-up. I think the only way Cuse wins is playing with their hair on fire and Duke is a bit rusty, Duke takes a lot of penalties and we get some lucky bounces. A lot to ask for!!

Great write-up. I think the only way Cuse wins is playing with their hair on fire and Duke is a bit rusty, Duke takes a lot of penalties and we get some lucky bounces. A lot to ask for!!
One more observation. Given we expect to lose face-offs, shouldn't we be trying an aggressive ride against Duke? At this point, why not?

Will be interesting to see the defensive matchups and agree on Saam switching to O'Neil. Sounds like Shelly is still not 100% and he definitely missed wide a few times, but I thought Saam played him very well last week. After having the opportunity to catch the team on the road in person the last 3 weeks, I think you can make the case that he's been the MVP for the team this year. I'd also be for Dwan getting the start. Seems like he makes the most of the opportunity he gets (to include a great goal last week on the crease).

MacAdory is scary, maybe a bit less so than last year when he was at midfield and mostly getting a SSDM matchup. Balsamo also has hit the ground running and is a major thread at midfield. Don't recall the matchup he got the first go around.

Saam is very good and aggressive but not sure he has height or strength go vs o’neil. Honestly think you put dwan on him let young man see what he can do as he’s got nice height also and o’neil isn’t super quick. Macdory is very fast and think need keep sasm on him who believe held him to jsut a goal which not even sure was with saam covering him at time. Balsamo is def someone to watch. Think maby cacameo on him or if go dmid has to be aviles to match speed. The true thing is who do you have rosa stick has he isn’t fast n bad footwork. Might not be terrible idea never seen it yet so could be bad. But maby ya short stick dyson who really isn’t gonna try beat ya on dodges so do you short him n shut him off. Will be interesting what gait and petro do but whatever it may be it better be good.

Also got leadmon who has been excellent this year and really found his shot. He got nice size and speed so need think pole on him. Cuse will need to come out and play fast smart and mistake free as much as possible if want this win. I agree they should def implement a ride to force turnovers to get us ball more as clearly faceoffs will be limited. Grant attackman arnt then fastest guys to run around like nuts. But they are decent a rides but this time have to be a ride all jacked up on mountain dew.

o’neil is 6’2 225lbs compared to saam 6’1 205lbs that’s 20lb diff. Where dwan is 6’4 210 so not much closer but he is taller so that thins out more when taller. Leadmon is 6’4 225lbs himself so these some big dudes. Wish we gave beck more time who’s 6’4 himself also but that’s not case. Think gotta least match up size along with skill also in order to least slow these guys down. But even if that was clearly the smart choice who knows what coaches would actually choose. lol

Also would of love the see that frettirigo kid gotten some time. As he looked solidsble last year in short time he got time. Could of least put kid on wings let him create some havoc.

Saam is very good and aggressive but not sure he has height or strength go vs o’neil. Honestly think you put dwan on him let young man see what he can do as he’s got nice height also and o’neil isn’t super quick. Macdory is very fast and think need keep sasm on him who believe held him to jsut a goal which not even sure was with saam covering him at time. Balsamo is def someone to watch. Think maby cacameo on him or if go dmid has to be aviles to match speed. The true thing is who do you have rosa stick has he isn’t fast n bad footwork. Might not be terrible idea never seen it yet so could be bad. But maby ya short stick dyson who really isn’t gonna try beat ya on dodges so do you short him n shut him off. Will be interesting what gait and petro do but whatever it may be it better be good.
Murphy actually did a good job on Balsamo last game. He let up game winner to him but was exhausted so can get it. Would short him with Aviles being he has more foot speed. Murphy has been playing solid D the last few weeks. Not just cause he's my guy but I think being this is it for his career he's been focused and playing tough. I would short Balsamo again. I like Dwan on O'Neil and Alexo on McAdorey due to his speed. Leadman scared me more then Balsamo. He's been a beast the yr. Might have to pole him l.

As for Rosa I wish they play him the least this week. I love the kid he's tough and gives u everything he's got but he just doesn't have the foot speed and hips to cover these guys. Also to slow for wing. Again I love Rosa and would take 10 of them on my team but for roles here and there. He's got heart man so I get wanting to play him but this is do or die. Go 3 man rotation and use him as needed for breaks. Won't happen but what I think they should do.

Yea agree with ya specially on rosa everything ya said bout him is true. Dude just gives it everything which i stated before is what need WHOLE rest of team to do. To fully give it everything like him. Yea leadmon is just fast big and can dodge plus snipe it. Almost feel you have to poll him. Balsamo prob can short him may beat ya here and there but don’t think ultimately he will crush ya. But know what seem from coaches and lack of changes thru year almost bet they go with exactly they did last time as thinking ve same result just hopefully this time better overtime shot for win. But truely don’t see first game plan working this time.

Also don’t know if murphy is your guy where can speak to him. But if can tell him throw those vchecks or whatever he did early in season. Lately at times seems just hasn’t been throwing them as much. Playing good man on man but he got turnovers on his checks. Lay the lumber murphy. lol

Actually feel whole team doesn’t throw enough or try to dislodge ball enough. They always go for overhead checks and have made some of them and in nasty fashion. But a good old poke check or even ding dong works. We def need to be more aggressive and just constantly be on these dudes where they can’t stop their feet. Won’t happen most likely as isn’t petros style surprising for how much beast he was.

Also don’t know if murphy is your guy where can speak to him. But if can tell him throw those vchecks or whatever he did early in season. Lately at times seems just hasn’t been throwing them as much. Playing good man on man but he got turnovers on his checks. Lay the lumber murphy. lol
I'll be honest I have talked to him about it and he was getting in trouble for throwing it. If u notice he threw it a lot early in season and was getting CTs then stopped. He uses it a little know but I also know he got in trouble for pushing transition which he did good vs Maryland scoring but made a poor decision late in game vs Duke. He knows he made a mistake but I kind of feel like he rushes now when clearing to dump it off cause hes scared to get in trouble. I saw it in the UNC game when he had that bonehead turnover. I know it was because in his head it's get rid of it now. No one was on him and he forced it. I don't say anything I like the coaches but I do think his game dipped midseason due to being asked to change his style of play. Tough to ask a 5th yr to change he was molded already. Now I can see he's back to just playing again not thinking and he's playing well. U can't play while thinking to much. I should tell him it's the final game just frigging throw it and cause turnovers. U get in trouble ur career is over anyway. Lol

Actually feel whole team doesn’t throw enough or try to dislodge ball enough. They always go for overhead checks and have made some of them and in nasty fashion. But a good old poke check or even ding dong works. We def need to be more aggressive and just constantly be on these dudes where they can’t stop their feet. Won’t happen most likely as isn’t petros style surprising for how much beast he was.
Yeah I thought Petro would love checks. On Murphys highlights when he hit the portal was tons of checks so figured Petro likes that when he brought him to Cuse. He doesn't tho and not just his shorts I feel like the whole defense doesn't check enough. Meanwhile he was an animal and loved to check when he played. Lol

I don’t understand how any coach could not or have problem with guys throwing checks. That truely don’t make sense. Yes certain check prob say stay away from using often as can cause flag. But if coach truely saying this almost like doesn’t trust his players or team to handle throwing checks, which is the case then coach needs to go. Transition was what cuse was known for and good at. It’s part of game and every team uses it and it motivates players when dmid or pole score. That boggles my mind coach would say that. But yes i agree possibly last game of season throw those checks but be smart bout it.

He doesn't like his shorts throwing checks due to possibly getting beat. He did throw it vs Balsamo and he spun off of him then scored. Petro lost his mind on him I was there for that one. U do take a chance at times if u don't recover quick enough but he was very good at it at LIU. Troy Reh who plays in the PLL coached there and taught him how to do it. Petro just didn't trust him doing it so he didn't want him too. He kept getting yelled at so he stopped. The whole transition does drive me nuts. Not even with Murphy with Aviles and Rice. There speed and Aviles can play offense we all know that. Why not push the ball up field sometimes and try to steal a goal or if we take a lead push it and build a quick 3 goal lead. Teams do it to us like ND did it to us. Just take the wind out of a team. Our shorts if u notice catch the ball from Will bring it up and dump it off right away and get the hell off. Whoever doesn't have the ball is off right away. I get it u want ur offense out there but sometimes push it especially if it's open. Alexo does and is very good at it which is what we miss when he plays close D but the shorts haven't done it much at all. They get off right away. That's why I feel like we struggled with the 10 man vs UNC. Whoever didn't have the ball rushed off the field instead of staying on to help out. I'm not ripping coach Petro he's a great coach and knows defense but he's just set in his ways I guess and I think Coach Gait is very laid back so doesn't say anything. I would think Gait would love fast pace transition offense.

He only got beat once from the check. Risk reward I rather throw it and get turnovers especially we lack possessions due to the face off issues. He had like 5 CTs in the first 4 games then stopped throwing it. He was in the doghouse for a few weeks after Duke game and his play showed. As things got better so did his play. Like I said dealing with a 5th yr transfer is different from a freshman. There already molded to a style of play so tough to change them. A freshman u can mold how u want him to play. Oh well hopefully we beat Duke and make tournament. Next yr I do agree we need a bigger SSDM to handle the bigger mids. These kids are big and fast these days. Not like when I was young.

agree i was never big but was fast and before blowing out my knee can change directions like no other. But yes kids are bigger stronger faster need to counter that with ur own big strong fast. Yea petro good but he needs to realize game has change and with teams having dominate faceoff guys turnovers is how u counter that. Need you mids to cause turnovers get ur team ball. Also look how many teams have two way guys stay on a lot and score. Those teams are the top teams also cause they do transtition n exactly ur point turn goal lead into 2-3 goal lead from it. Plus it just juices up guys. yes gait def laid back guy but he’s head coach not petro so if that is situation then gait needs to tell petro hey we need to do this and change. Cause our poles arnt throwing checks a lot either so offense have no fear and can setup whatever they want and just pick us apart. Checked transition isn’t just big part of lacrosse was big part of Cuse lacrosse.

Aviles could def be a two way and a good one. I wish he let them push transition I really do. Like the Duke game who knows if it goes to OT if we stole a few transition goals. I mean Aviles showed the coaches this past summer in the world games he can play offense. I loved the goal he scored in the UNC game. He's got a rocket of a shot too. Yeah Gait loves fast paced lacrosse so suprised he doesn't want to push it sometimes but I do think he's laid back and respects Petro so let's him do it his way. Petro is a great coach just a little old skool and set in his ways. He's more of a slow it down chew clock and play defense kind of coach while Gait is a fast play free and keep the ball moving coach. Hopefully next yr Gait steps in and says he wants to push the ball down field. With Rice speed and Aviles ability to play offense I mean if they don't come to him he fires it once they start covering him he feeds Hitlz or Joey and they fire it. U add a few goals like that it could be the difference in winning. U also take the wind out of a team like ND did to us after that no goal call. Idk maybe I'm wrong but I just feel like u need to do it and we have the guys to do it.

If the face offs don’t work I would have Olexo take them the way Megill use too. I can’t even remember them even trying a double pole on the wings? Petro’s defense is incredibly conservative along with being incredibly complex. Rogers and Desko had plenty of struggles at the x but atleast they tried different things

If the face offs don’t work I would have Olexo take them the way Megill use too. I can’t even remember them even trying a double pole on the wings? Petro’s defense is incredibly conservative along with being incredibly complex. Rogers and Desko had plenty of struggles at the x but atleast they tried different things

Not sure how many teams employ a long stick at faceoff anymore. Seems like good fogos have figured out ways to beat that strategy over the years.

One thing they do do is put a shortstick d middie on attack. They did it last year as well (I only noticed because Carter Rice scored a goal and I was very confused). I guess they do this in case the ball ends up in the offensive side of the and they have a guy who can win the ball back. Not sure how effective of a strategy it is. If they do win a faceoff it feels like it then takes that much longer to run guys on and off.

Very curious as to why they haven’t tried using two poles on the wings, but I imagine it’s due to Petro’s conservativeness.

Not sure how many teams employ a long stick at faceoff anymore. Seems like good fogos have figured out ways to beat that strategy over the years.

One thing they do do is put a shortstick d middie on attack. They did it last year as well (I only noticed because Carter Rice scored a goal and I was very confused). I guess they do this in case the ball ends up in the offensive side of the and they have a guy who can win the ball back. Not sure how effective of a strategy it is. If they do win a faceoff it feels like it then takes that much longer to run guys on and off.

Very curious as to why they haven’t tried using two poles on the wings, but I imagine it’s due to Petro’s conservativeness.

Your correct no one puts a long pole at the X anymore, with the new rules you have almost zero chance of winning the draw. Even Marr at ALbany who used to love to do it only does it a handful of times a year and it doesn't work. Two poles on the faceoff is a double edged sword if you don't win the initial scrum your in trouble because the long poles have a very hard time picking up a ball in close with longer poles. I am not against using it but you need to great GB poles if your gonna do it, not sure SU has that at this point.

Two poles on the wings leaves you with only two poles and a shorty to cover the back line.

If you're up against a "make it take it" faceoff guy, it ends badly. Naso is 4 & 3 this year when he gets loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom