Duke Game Thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game Thread...

Tremendous win for the boys. Clean up the TO's. It looked like everybody was told to shoot low. Lots of bounce shots. The Puke goalie played very well but we kept after it.

So, I had to record the game and I just finished watching. Here are my reactions during the game:
  • So, softball????
  • Here's the game, good. 1-3? Sheesh.
  • Awful turnover
  • Awful turnover
  • Awful turnover
  • Can we hold on to the ball???
  • Lot of passing going on here. How about a shot, guys?
  • Lot of shots here. Can we put one on net?
  • Lot of shots here. Can we put one on net? Please?
  • 2-6 HT. Should I just FF to the final?
  • Hey, another turnover.
  • End of 3rd 3-6. {holds up 4 fingers, not very confidently}
  • I guess my request for putting a shot on net has gone unheard.
  • Ohhhh, Jamie - right into his cross.
  • 3-7. Why am I still watching?
  • Rehfuss! Maybe we can make it respectable.
  • Duke goal. Never mind.
  • Soloman! Nice assist by Trimboli. 5-8. One more goal and it's a push.
  • Voight on the man-up! 6-8. 4 minutes left. Need a FO win here.
  • Phaup giveth, Trimboli taketh away :(
  • Lipka! 7-8. 3 minutes left - this is doable {he keeps telling himself}
  • TIED! We tied the game up! Sorry honey, I'll keep it down.
  • HIT THE PIPE with about 10 seconds left. How can you be 0-10, Brendan????
  • OK, OT. At least we battled back. Nice recovery from 3 quarters of miserable lacrosse. And, another 1 goal game vs. Duke.
  • Nice save, Drake! Saved our bacon there.
  • Another shot without a goal Brendan? OMG!
  • Nice D. Gotta end it here.
  • Curry!!! FINALLY! All is forgiven.
Seriously though, wicked stones by the team today, down 4 with under 6 to go. Other teams would have quit. They have ice in their veins. I just wish they didn't have maple syrup in their veins the first couple quarters of each game. Just tell the kids it's the 4th quarter at the beginning of each quarter. Would that work? :)

Huge win. 4-3, 0-2 would not have been a good place to be. We really need to come out of the gates quickly next week vs. ND. THAT would shock the hell out of ND - they never would have expected it. ;)

#HHH

LOVE the way this team turns up the heat in the 4th-props to Desko for making he proper adjustments as the game went on. I think Duke is a really good team, and this win is gonna go quite a long way. However it’s gonna be important that we start to look like a a halfway decent division 1 program in the beginning of games because I’m not so sure my heart can take to many more of these games

HOLY S&($!

We came back?!?!? I figured it was over at 8-4. Amazing!!!

This win was one of the better things to happen in SU sports lately, especially coming off the hoops season.

Gotta love this team's refusal to quit. And yes, if they would only start differently...

A few thoughts:

yes our schedule is tough but it might be panning out better than expected. The competition is tough but we seem to increasingly be playing up to it, and improving because of it. At the same time, the match-ups are not proving as brutal as anticipated. Opponents we thought would be top 10 and proving to be top 20

the injuries are sapping our middie depth. We are increasingly pushing Solomon and Cook into the midfield rotation. They are doing an adequate job but aren't the dodging threat from up top the others are. Carlin was better last year, and Magnan doesn't appear ready yet given the PT or lack thereof that he is getting. Would be most helpful to get Quinn back.

Carcatera made a good point that if we had Dordevic, Curry could shift to attack and add more dynamic dodging skills to our front line. Maybe this plays out next year with the departures of Voight and Solomon.

We have to be most impressed with our face-off and close D. But our turnovers present a clear weakness

Our offense has shown it is elite when it gels, but is still too inconsistent, disappearing for long stretches when it does not.

Great comeback by the Orange. I really have to give the defense an incredible amount of credit. The offense looked like it was stuck in mud for over three quarters, but time and again the defense came up with big stops (especially in OT). It wasn't perfect, they again got out to a rough start quickly surrendering three goals, they gave up some really bad penalties, and a number of times Duke attackmen were left wide open on the crease. But when they were on, they were ON - lockdown mode all over the field. Dearth with two great caused turnovers, Mellen marking Smith step for step, Kennedy causing havoc all over and Bomberry picking up every groundball near him. I cant remember the last season a close defender was second on the team in groundballs. Great job weathering the storm and allowing the offense to figure things out. Kudos to Porter for staying calm and again making big saves throughout the game. The kid can play.

Another incredible performance by the face-off unit - I think they won the last six draws of the game. Wings were paramount, I believe Phaup and Varello accounted for only two groundballs. Never imagined this unit would perform this well this season.

Offensively, I don't know why/how things started to click, but in typical Syracuse fashion, it eventually did and it came from a host of different players. It wasn't one guy taking over but rather the entire team playing unselfishly, passing well and moving well without the ball - putting pressure of the defense from every angle. Hopefully things will start clicking sooner for them in games, but better late than never!

I watched the game on ESPNU and the best part (other than the win) was the absolute silence from Miles Jones after Curry's OT goal. Why can't Jones study the teams before the game and identify the players by name? He constantly identified the SU players by their numbers and it was a pretty amateur move.

I watched the game on ESPNU and the best part (other than the win) was the absolute silence from Miles Jones after Curry's OT goal. Why can't Jones study the teams before the game and identify the players by name? He constantly identified the SU players by their numbers and it was a pretty amateur move.

He could definitely benefit from some coursework at the Newhouse School’s “Sportscaster U.”

i honestly thought he was just a booth "drop in" til i realized he wasn't leaving and getting paid for that drivel.

Amateur move by an amateur broadcaster? He wasn’t very engaging the entire game. Lacked energy and did nothing to add value. I expected more but probably shouldn’t have.

Gritty performance, Beat a top team despite sloppy play. Offense sputters but shots can come from anyone on field anthem pressure eventually leads to defensive breakdowns and scoring runs. Penalties helped the comeback but credit Cuse players getting to balls that led to them and second chances. Kudos to D and Porter , after a slow start held a potent Duke offense to their season low.
No rest for the weary, tough stretch ahead with 3 games against 3 top twenty teams in seven days, we will need more minutes and production from second line. Glad to see Seebold getting some minutes and looking forward to Quinn return

Interesting note about Seebold, I was surprised to see so much of him in the early going. I would have thought that Griffin Cook would be the next man up on attack especially when Rehfuss wasn’t playing so great. The broadcasters did mention that Seebold has been playing really well in practice, hopefully this translate to games soon.

As for Myles Jones as a broadcaster, I agree that he wasn’t great and has a lot of work to do, but it was his first time as a broadcaster he can definitely improve a lot very easily. I also thought that this was the best game I’ve heard Carc and Anish call in a while. Hopefully they continue on this path and talk less about nonsense.

Gritty performance, Beat a top team despite sloppy play. Offense sputters but shots can come from anyone on field anthem pressure eventually leads to defensive breakdowns and scoring runs. Penalties helped the comeback but credit Cuse players getting to balls that led to them and second chances. Kudos to D and Porter , after a slow start held a potent Duke offense to their season low.
No rest for the weary, tough stretch ahead with 3 games against 3 top twenty teams in seven days, we will need more minutes and production from second line. Glad to see Seebold getting some minutes and looking forward to Quinn return

I truly hope Seebold and Quinn can step in and make something happen. I’ve heard a lot of talk about Seebold but I don’t think he has any points as a player and Quinn - a lot of promise ..but so far very little production (pre-injury).

In related matters, an inside source (parent of Cuse player ) tells me the Kim brothers are killing it in practice and are lights out - assume they are RS this year as well as Fiorini??

I truly hope Seebold and Quinn can step in and make something happen. I’ve heard a lot of talk about Seebold but I don’t think he has any points as a player and Quinn - a lot of promise ..but so far very little production (pre-injury).

In related matters, an inside source (parent of Cuse player ) tells me the Kim brothers are killing it in practice and are lights out - assume they are RS this year as well as Fiorini??

Fiorini and the Kim twins played against Albany, no RS unfortunately.

Maybe Desko is slowly adding the pieces so as to not give the entire playbook away. Seebold got extended minutes in a must win game so one would have to think he's showing something in practice. I think he just needs some confidence. He actually did a nice job getting open on the crease a few times.

Porter seems like he needs to have an easy save that goes by him before he kicks it into gear. He was excellent after that slow bouncer went in.

Fiorini and the twins also played against Army. So far the freshman left that haven't seen game time are Berkman, Little Kennedy, Dieball, Lawton, Hull, Hill, and Katchadurian.

Seebold has to be showing stuff in practice because he has done nothing in game. After rewatching, he definitely needed to put home one of those feeds he caught on the crease.

As for the Kim's why are they playing? Desko has shied away from redshirting kids in recent years IMO.

FWIW I believe Quinn was in uniform against Duke. Hope he gets some playing time against ND. He had a rough start to the year but still think he has the physical tools to be a good, productive player.

Kind of bummed Magnan has been phased out. They seem to have played Cook mostly as a midfielder with Buttermore and Carlin against Duke. I think Buttermore would be more impactful if he got more runs with the first line to keep the long stick off him. Interested to see how Desko manages that second mid line as the season progresses.

Buttermore fan from the very start but he did struggle some against both sticks on Saturday. Lipka was integral during comeback getting into seams and moving ball well.

Both got game , advantage for staff to have different players with different strengths that match up to opponents differently. (4 different mentions in one sentence is different)

Putting aside labels of first or second lines Curry and Trimboli basically anchoring a four -five man rotation with Lipka then Buttermore and Cook with minutes tied into play which can change game by game.
Lipka a known talent to opponents, Buttermore now in scouting reports and tendencies better known. He'll adapt and be productive . Cook look settled with some opportunities that were close to being cashed in.

Need fresh legs as season condenses on road. Quinn returns helps, he and Carlin have skills, matter of realizing and some additional minutes could help all. McKinney has returned as well and his experience affords another option. . Eta's for Magnan, Fiorini, Kims would be different if we had some breaks in schedule that afforded more opportunity amid growing pains. Likely year of mostly development

Seebold saw decent minutes in big game so he's coming on. Certainly a big target around crease. Skills and team attitude there , just has to get the proverbial monkey off his back to relax. No urgency as Solomon and Voigt competing all out as usual and producing, Solomon pinpoint pass to Curry was beautiful. Very encouraging to see Refhus flashing his old form as critical to offensive flow. His finesse game draws critiques but makes game look easy at times

Just got out of Joshua Tree park in California to see the news of the victory! Saw a highlight video and it looks like the D must have been the stars on some level. Looks like Robertson and Manown had very little success off the dodge which probably means crucial performances from Bomberry and Cunningham. That was a fantastic question mark move by Rehfuss. It would be exciting to see him add that to his arsenal as his main one is still the run-slightly-fast-in-one-direction move. Lipka still lethal shooting on the run and looking faster. While he only hit the pipe, that speed dodge by Curry at the end of regulation was seriously jaw dropping. When he goes into that second gear it is on Jordan Wolf/Connor Cannizzaro levels of speed, if not even more impressive. He is something else and still so young. Him Dordevic and trimboli on the same line next year will give teams nightmares. Love this team!

Just got out of Joshua Tree park in California to see the news of the victory! Saw a highlight video and it looks like the D must have been the stars on some level. Looks like Robertson and Manown had very little success off the dodge which probably means crucial performances from Bomberry and Cunningham. That was a fantastic question mark move by Rehfuss. It would be exciting to see him add that to his arsenal as his main one is still the run-slightly-fast-in-one-direction move. Lipka still lethal shooting on the run and looking faster. While he only hit the pipe, that speed dodge by Curry at the end of regulation was seriously jaw dropping. When he goes into that second gear it is on Jordan Wolf/Connor Cannizzaro levels of speed, if not even more impressive. He is something else and still so young. Him Dordevic and trimboli on the same line next year will give teams nightmares. Love this team!
If you have access to ESPN3, the replay is still available.

#2 Duke vs. #12 Syracuse (M Lacrosse)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom