Duke loss to Arizona might not have been good for the ACC but SU it was | Syracusefan.com

Duke loss to Arizona might not have been good for the ACC but SU it was

Alsacs

Living Legend
Duke and Syracuse are fighting to be the ACC team that gets seeded in East region that plays at Madison Square Garden this year. If Duke beat Arizona that would have been a huge scalp for them in their resume for being the top ACC team this year. Duke has 2 big games left on their OOC schedule Michigan and UCLA at MSG. If Duke wins those games and Syracuse beats Indiana, St. John's, Villanova. SU will have the better non-conference resume and if SU can finish top 2 in the ACC conference season then we could edge Duke for the MSG regional.

So while I was pulling for Duke in the game because the ACC needed a big win I wasn't upset when they lost because it helped SU in the long turn.

BTW, anybody notice how Kentucky and Duke scheduled Eastern Michigan this year. Duke is doing it to get the JV version of the SU zone so when they play SU their kids have an idea as to how we play. Its the meta-things like this that I pay attention too that are probably irrelevant and nothing their, but I think happens for a reason.

Very good point. Usually I root for conference mates when they play OOC (except UConn and GTown); but someone brought up that point yesterday and I never thought of it like that. Staying in the East would be massive for us. And you gotta feel like if we're close to Duke the committee would give it to them.

If Vermont had beaten duke, that alone could have put us ahead of Duke for for MSG. Very important for us to beat IU, ST. John's and NOVA. I firmly believe we have Buffalo locked up. MSG would be nice would be real nice

I agree with jdubs30, if if is a close tei for MSG between su and duke, duke gets it. Had vermont beaten duke, then that would have changed

Nah, the committee will go by resumes. Our past resumes didn't have as many wins away from the Dome in the non-conference schedule. While I know our conference schedules have been ridiculously tough in the past and JB has scheduled smartly as a result that perception has hurt us even if its unjust. If we split with Duke in the regular season and finish top 2 for the ACC title the non-conference scalps we have over them would win us any tie. If Duke beat us 2 out of 3 times and won the ACC Tournament then that would likely give them the edge over us.

Nah, the committee will go by resumes. Our past resumes didn't have as many wins away from the Dome in the non-conference schedule. While I know our conference schedules have been ridiculously tough in the past and JB has scheduled smartly as a result that perception has hurt us even if its unjust. If we split with Duke in the regular season and finish top 2 for the ACC title the non-conference scalps we have over them would win us any tie. If Duke beat us 2 out of 3 times and won the ACC Tournament then that would likely give them the edge over us.
Would the committee put both of us in the East as a 1 and a 2?

Another thing about the East is I think UConn will be there as well; based on their OOC and conference they could be a 3 or 4 seed.

Could you imagine Cuse vs. UConn at the Garden for a spot in the Final Four?
Yeah UConn is looking like a 3/4 seed this year and if Georgetown wouldn't obviously flame out to a double digit seed like Clockwork an awesome MSG regional would turnout as Syracuse(ACC), Georgetown (Big East), UConn(its called the American right?), West Virginia(Big XII) and it would turn into an old fashioned Big East tournament in the NCAA tournament at MSG.

Would the committee put both of us in the East as a 1 and a 2?
The top 3 teams in each conference can't end up in the same region. Thus the higher seed would get preference in the East if it was available.

Good god a Syracuse - UConn Elite 8 game at MSG? The world could spin off its axis.

"So while I was pulling for Duke in the game because the ACC needed a big win"

i shall never root for duke. even if they played a quinn snyder coached team.

Duke and Syracuse are fighting to be the ACC team that gets seeded in East region that plays at Madison Square Garden this year. If Duke beat Arizona that would have been a huge scalp for them in their resume for being the top ACC team this year. Duke has 2 big games left on their OOC schedule Michigan and UCLA at MSG. If Duke wins those games and Syracuse beats Indiana, St. John's, Villanova. SU will have the better non-conference resume and if SU can finish top 2 in the ACC conference season then we could edge Duke for the MSG regional.

So while I was pulling for Duke in the game because the ACC needed a big win I wasn't upset when they lost because it helped SU in the long turn.

BTW, anybody notice how Kentucky and Duke scheduled Eastern Michigan this year. Duke is doing it to get the JV version of the SU zone so when they play SU their kids have an idea as to how we play. Its the meta-things like this that I pay attention too that are probably irrelevant and nothing their, but I think happens for a reason.

Good spot. Quite likely this is not a coincidence. While EMU doesn't have our athleticism, the preparation is at least similar, and they will learn and remember some lessons, esp Duke.

Yeah UConn is looking like a 3/4 seed this year and if Georgetown wouldn't obviously flame out to a double digit seed like Clockwork an awesome MSG regional would turnout as Syracuse(ACC), Georgetown (Big East), UConn(its called the American right?), West Virginia(Big XII) and it would turn into an old fashioned Big East tournament in the NCAA tournament at MSG.
UConn is going to become the new Memphis. After UL leaves, UConn will go undefeated in the crappy American every year and get a 3/4 seed in the NCAAT every year. Pretty annoying.

Another thing about the East is I think UConn will be there as well; based on their OOC and conference they could be a 3 or 4 seed.

Could you imagine Cuse vs. UConn at the Garden for a spot in the Final Four?
This seems destined. If the committee can find a way to engineer this match-up, it'll happen. We'll see those mutts at some point, I bet!

I am confident we will match up with a uconn or a hoya in the ncaa tourney, either round of 32 or sweet 16

jdubs30 said:
Another thing about the East is I think UConn will be there as well; based on their OOC and conference they could be a 3 or 4 seed. Could you imagine Cuse vs. UConn at the Garden for a spot in the Final Four?

Oh, that's gonna happen. Or at least be set up to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I find it highly doubtful that the committee would have SU in the MSG regional unless we were the overall #1 seed.

We were in Albany in 03 as a 3 seed, there is no reason we don't get the east region if we are a top four seed and better than our main competitors.

We were in Albany in 03 as a 3 seed, there is no reason we don't get the east region if we are a top four seed and better than our main competitors.

I didn't say we wouldn't get Albany. I said I doubt if the committee would give us the MSG regional unless we were the overall number one seed.

Please try and keep up.....

UNC will have something to say about this. When they get Hairston back they are a top 10 team.

I'm not sure I see how it helps. If it comes down to Duke and SU, I think their conference performances will be more important, especially since we play head to head at least twice. If SU and Duke didn't play each other I'd agree with you. Beating a Duke team that beat Arizona would've helped our RPI and national perception. Now a win against them means a little less (clearly still big, just not as big).

Edit: I just saw your post about SU-vs-Duke head to head. We're pretty much in a agreement. I wanted Duke to win for the conference perception. With us playing them twice, I would have been willing to let the rest play out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom