Duke-Syracuse and Duke-UNC TV ratings, the ACC 'gold mine,' and future scheduling | Syracusefan.com

Duke-Syracuse and Duke-UNC TV ratings, the ACC 'gold mine,' and future scheduling

I'd love to see us play Duke every year. That shows how much we would be respected. I just think it's a difficult political sell to the rest of the league at this point. Someone is going to get the short end of the stick, and would increase the likelihood of a team with a weaker schedule winning the regular season. Something that hasn't been talked about is the number of number 1 seeds duke has piled up by dominating a somewhat soft ACC with the exception of Carolina and at times a few others. The more losses you have the less chance you have at getting top seeds year in and year out, and I think that is something that might be hard to grasp with Duke fans.

Coach K knows he has struck gold with us! But Duke fans struggling with the idea. They might rather be king of a crap conference, methinks.

Duke isn't even king of the ACC. Never has been.

As a UNC fan, I'd like to replace our second partner (NC State) with Syracuse.

Those ratings were absolutely amazing for a regular season college basketball game. I can't see how the ACC doesn't work something out to make sure this matchup happens twice a year. The league would only be handcuffing themselves if they don't, and for what good reason? I am sure ESPN will try and get involved as well. You just don't see college basketball ratings like that

I have always tried to make this point as well. However perception wise everyone hates Duke and wants a piece of them

I would love to play UNC, Duke, Lville and whoever else surfaces as the best 5th team twice every year. Those are the games we all want to see so what if we lose a couple more a season.

I would love to play UNC, Duke, Lville and whoever else surfaces as the best 5th team twice every year. Those are the games we all want to see so what if we lose a couple more a season.

Look at the secondary partners for Duke and UNC. Wake Forest? NC State? Weak sauce. Give me 'Cuse all day, even if it means more potential losses for us.

Look at the secondary partners for Duke and UNC. Wake Forest? NC State? Weak sauce. Give me 'Cuse all day, even if it means more potential losses for us.

Agreed and surely it means each team will lose perhaps an extra game or two but it will strengthen each team and prepare them better for the tourney. Duke, UNC, SU and Lville all play vastly different styles but are wildly successful.

But Wichita State proves that the other model works. ;)

Not that it works but that you get rewarded for it so long as you are in a bad conference. They'd kill a major conference team for that OOC schedule, lol, but they would likewise get a 1 seed for going undefeated and it would be much more deserved.

I agree, I wouldn't count UNC out so soon as they seemed to have really found themselves .. interested to see what they can do at Cameron.

I agree, I wouldn't count UNC out so soon as they seemed to have really found themselves .. interested to see what they can do at Cameron.

I think they are tough match up for Duke and really didn't play all that well at home when they won. They had a bunch of live ball turnover in the first 25min of that game that wound up in easy baskets for Duke. For once Roy really impressed me with his in game defensive switches. I think I saw them play m2m two different ways, 2-3 and 1-3-1 and when there was a TV time out or K called one they would come out in something different than they just used.

easy solution go to 20 conference games add a 3rd partner for each team. 2 rotating partners yearly then everyone else play 1 game home or away

I would kill to drop our two joke partners of Pizzleburger and Barf Central. Perfect scenario: we get Duke and Looevil.

I would kill to drop our two joke partners of Pizzleburger and Barf Central. Perfect scenario: we get Duke and Looevil.
That is exactly what we should do. Duke and Ville would make our schedule so god damn hard, but you know what all the people complaining about rivalries can go jump off a bridge because those two would become our biggest rivals in no time.

No question that ESPN will have SU-Duke play twice per year as long as Boeheim and K are still coaching.

Those ratings were absolutely amazing for a regular season college basketball game. I can't see how the ACC doesn't work something out to make sure this matchup happens twice a year. The league would only be handcuffing themselves if they don't, and for what good reason? I am sure ESPN will try and get involved as well. You just don't see college basketball ratings like that
The numbers can't be ignored.
Really tremendous.

Top conference priority for SU should be replacing BC as a permanent partner.
We barely cared about them in the Big East.
But we were just assigned two other northern teams as so-called permanent partners.

Duke would be ideal...but replacing BC with Louisville works, too.
I don't see UNC happening...they won't lose NCSU.

People don't like Pitt...but year in and year out we have hard fought ugly battles with them.
(Yes, I know...emphasis on the word "ugly").

I'd rather have Duke replace a second BC game even if it means messing up the regular season. And I'm saying this as someone who values regular season titles way more than conference tournament titles. But that's how good the duke rivalry will be.

Have there ever been 2 better games for basically starting a rivalry from scratch than the 2 Duke-SU games this year? You had the coach K-JB angle; but these teams have basically never really played before and after 2 games look where we are now. I said it earlier this week; you're gonna see the JB thing from Saturday night played in montages for 30 years.

This partnership thing is a silly idea in my opinion! I believe the big east had it right by Determining what team to play twice each year based on their potential for that upcoming year.
I personally would like to have a home and home versus Duke Louisville and either Pittsburgh or UNC every year.

SU is not going to get Duke, Louisville and UNC/Pitt/ND twice a year. There will have to be some balance to make sure all the schools have a "marquee" opponent. I am pretty sure BC will fight to keep SU as a partner so they can sell out Conte once per year and look for Gross to fight for Miami to be there so he can get his trip to South Beach

What I think will happen is we get Duke twice every other year and in the year we dont get Duke twice we get North Carolina twice so we get 3 games vs those teams every regular season.