Duke-Zona Who You Want? | Syracusefan.com

Duke-Zona Who You Want?

Duke - better for us the higher rated they are when we beat them. I'll feel dirty about it and prolly feel like I need to shower after the game...but Duke.

Zona, so we can move up- in the polls. Recruiting is mostly about reputation and top 5 won't hurt.

i never got this "root for your conference" bs. i never rooted for georgetown in non conference games. i never rooted for uconn in non conference games. i never rooted for pitt in non conference games. i never rooted for them in the ncaa tournament. i hate these teams. they are our rivals. F them all. i never rooted for duke before we were in the acc, and i sure aint gonna root for them now that we're in the acc.

when the game starts, look at coach k and wojo sitting smugly on the bench and tell me again how youre all gonna root for duke.

i never got this "root for your conference" bs. i never rooted for georgetown in non conference games. i never rooted for uconn in non conference games. i never rooted for pitt in non conference games. i never rooted for them in the ncaa tournament. i hate these teams. they are our rivals. F them all. i never rooted for duke before we were in the acc, and i sure aint gonna root for them now that we're in the acc.

when the game starts, look at coach k and wojo sitting smugly on the bench and tell me again how youre all gonna root for duke.

short sighted

hurts, but i feel you have to pull for the conference opponent to get the win. The ACC definitely needs some quality ooc wins.

I guess Let's Go Duke (as i puke in my mouth)

Zona.

You guys better not start this "root for your conference" crap again. We're not the Horizon or some scrappy league fighting for respect.

I could care less who wins, but I'd surmise that it's better from a perception basis if Duke prevails. I don't see Arizona losing more than 4-5 games by the end of the regular season. I think Duke will lose 7 or more.

Zona.

You guys better not start this "root for your conference" crap again. We're not the Horizon or some scrappy league fighting for respect.

your always fighting for respect. Look at how the perception of the ACC took a hit with all those brutal ooc losses were piling up. Having the ACC as the highest rated RPI conference could be the difference of us playing in Buffalo and NYC this year instead of Spokane and Anaheim

But isn't Duke likely our biggest competition for Buffalo? I say Zona.

Arizona is hyped because they are really good. All you have to do is watch them and see the talent. A couple of recent stud recruiting classes will naturally do that. I have always liked the Arizona brand back when Lute was coaching. I still have a very hard time cheering for Duke. Ain't gonna happen. Arizona wins. Better squad.

your always fighting for respect. Look at how the perception of the ACC took a hit with all those brutal ooc losses were piling up. Having the ACC as the highest rated RPI conference could be the difference of us playing in Buffalo and NYC this year instead of Spokane and Anaheim
^^This. Rooting for the ACC teams isn't a matter of "Rah Rah" like it would be for the Horizon League. It's a matter of RPI. The more top teams from other conferences ACC teams beat, the better our conference and individual RPIs will be. That's why it isn't cool that VCU is ranked in the Top 10, because it means they beat UVa. Or that George Wash. beat Miami. That works its way back to hurt you. Call rooting for ACC teams in OOC games "Enlightened Self-Interest."

Now, as far as the Rah Rah stuff goes, back in the day (and i haven't heard that it's changed), at those all star team selection try-outs, the ACC players would all hang out together. If they were from UNC, Duke, Clemson, UVa, etc., didn't matter. They all hung out together. I know you guys couldn't imagine your players hanging out with G'Town's at these things, but the ACC guys always did.

If we do what we're supposed to, I think we'll be fine. The league is strong, and will only get stronger next year when Louisville joins. I want Syracuse to be the top dog at all costs.

I guess it might take a few years of getting screwed by the whistles in Cameron, and a few years of watching Duke automatically play as close to home as possible in the tourney for some of you to change your tune.

Go Zona!

Yeah. Hard to root for Sean Miller. He's a Pitt guy, and I can't stand Pitt.
Yeah, even though he was one of the more likeable Pitt players. But as someone said, root for the conference. Then when we beat Duke it's better than getting a better rating now because they lost tonight.

The more I read through this thread, the more conflicted I am. Yes Duke helps us as far as the ACC brand and perception of the league which will help us get that #1 seed in the East provided were in contention for that, but Duke prob ends up being our main competition for that #1 seed in the East.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom