Dumb Question Alert: Has our recent ranking resulted in surpise interest or visits? | Syracusefan.com

Dumb Question Alert: Has our recent ranking resulted in surpise interest or visits?

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
I know it's WAY TOO SOON to make any definitive analysis, but has 'Cuse showing up in the last few polls - and seemingly rising fast - resulted in any surprise interest or visits?

Are there any kids that might not have visited had we asked 8-12 weeks ago that might now have 'Cuse on their radar?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I've been wrapped up in a divorce and unable to follow recruiting for the last several months.

Oh, and we married in Fall 2001 with our divorce just becoming final this football season.

So I think Cuse football's bad juju is gone forever.

The florida LB is definitely unexpected. Or at least thats the feeling im getting.

When asked about this on the radio show last week Babers said he thought the ranking would have more of an effect for the 2020 recruiting class. That many of the 2019s were already committed.

Now that doesn't mean that there can't be surprises or kids changing their minds and giving Syracuse another look.

When asked about this on the radio show last week Babers said he thought the ranking would have more of an effect for the 2020 recruiting class. That many of the 2019s were already committed.

Now that doesn't mean that there can't be surprises or kids changing their minds and giving Syracuse another look.

He did say though it’ll have ‘some’ effect on 19’s ...but mostly 20’s.

Hopefully may see familiar faces

The way I see it. We’ll do a reach out to both committed and uncommitted kids that we really like (kids like Nunn, Isaacs, Blisset etc) and see where we stand. Mostly kids that we have some type of existing relationship with. But I'd also imagine we'll take a flyer on some other kids (stud blue chips) and why not.

I think if we get any committed kid to take a visit here then you can say our season success is a major factor. Uncommitted kids will be harder to measure. There's always been surprise visitors under Babers.

Last edited:
Not sure where else to put this, so I'll stick it here. On the reddit cfb board there is an AMA with a Top 40 recruit. He won't say who he is or who he committed to (though it's a school West of the Mississippi), but someone asked him about his thoughts of other schools that recruited him. He mentioned Syracuse and here's what he said:

level 4 Verified Player joevanu 91 points · 4 hours ago

I got you!
Syracuse- Not interested in going to class in tunnels due to the snow. Really like the direction their program is going though!

So, does look like some recruits do consider Syracuse's weather in their decision-making process. I do like though how the perception is changin.

Not sure where else to put this, so I'll stick it here. On the reddit cfb board there is an AMA with a Top 40 recruit. He won't say who he is or who he committed to (though it's a school West of the Mississippi), but someone asked him about his thoughts of other schools that recruited him. He mentioned Syracuse and here's what he said:

So, does look like some recruits do consider Syracuse's weather in their decision-making process. I do like though how the perception is changin.
Weather is always a consideration for recruits. If it wasn't, I'm sure Cuse would easily have top 20 classes in football and top 5 in basketball year in and out. No joke

Weather is always a consideration for recruits. If it wasn't, I'm sure Cuse would easily have top 20 classes in football and top 5 in basketball year in and out. No joke

Why would we have top 20 classes in football? We don't have anywhere near top 20 facilities or local recruiting area. Don't get what you could possibly be basing that off of.

Why would we have top 20 classes in football? We don't have anywhere near top 20 facilities or local recruiting area. Don't get what you could possibly be basing that off of.
Syracuse already recruits in the high 40's. This program continues to do well, they'll recruit top 30, no doubt and maybe higher.

I'm not as down on Cuse's facilities as you are. Maybe the facilities are not in top 20 ...but what do you have to do to be in top 20? Put a slide in your practice facility? The arms race is getting to be a race of diminishing returns. The programs that already recruit at a high level just continue to spend millions for the same types of classes, and the additions are just getting truly frivolous.

Syracuse already recruits in the high 40's. This program continues to do well, they'll recruit top 30, no doubt and maybe higher.

I'm not as down on Cuse's facilities as you are. Maybe the facilities are not in top 20 ...but what do you have to do to be in top 20? Put a slide in your practice facility? The arms race is getting to be a race of diminishing returns. The programs that already recruit at a high level just continue to spend millions for the same types of classes, and the additions are just getting truly frivolous.

High 40s has not occurred frequently and isn't happening this year. I certainly would not anticipate a class in the top 30 any time soon. I'll be beyond happy if we can grab 3 or 4 4* guys with big lists per class.

High 40s has not occurred frequently and isn't happening this year. I certainly would not anticipate a class in the top 30 any time soon. I'll be beyond happy if we can grab 3 or 4 4* guys with big lists per class.
Just having the conversation: I betcha we close out this class at least in the 50's. I'd be shocked if we didn't

<Checks the internets>

- never had this ACC money
- been since <double checks internets>
1998 we’ve been ranked this high
- run as exciting a system as we’ve had since freeze option?
- pathway to playoffs is not impossible like BCS era
- the most likeble coach since Mac and it’s not close

So, I dont know what’s impossible anymore

If we keep winning and finish this year ranked, we will absolutely have surprises towards the end of the recruiting cycle - winning cures everything!

It can be. I know of a former #1 rated recruit for lacrosse that didn’t go to Syracuse, in part, due to weather. Went south from Strong Island.

The irony? Transferred to, and finished his career, in Orange.

I am sure weather is a consideration. The thing is we shouldn't assume everyone hates our weather. Some people from the south want to get out of the heat and humidity and want to experience snow. Why don't we hear about Michigan losing recruits to weather?

That's such a gross mischaracterization of what winter is like up here.

He did say though it’ll have ‘some’ effect on 19’s ...but mostly 20’s.

That’s a quote to hedge. The 19 class is below the expectations of the 18. Babers is essentially selling the promise of next year because this year ain’t great. Buying time. This year’s crop is not great...and it’s not due to numbers. Unsure why. Surprising. But...with last year’s transfers at RB/WR we have immediate impact players so perhaps he’s high rolling the dice with fewer scholarships this year but on big ticket gets.

That’s a quote to hedge. The 19 class is below the expectations of the 18. Babers is essentially selling the promise of next year because this year ain’t great. Buying time. This year’s crop is not great...and it’s not due to numbers. Unsure why. Surprising. But...with last year’s transfers at RB/WR we have immediate impact players so perhaps he’s high rolling the dice with fewer scholarships this year but on big ticket gets.

I'm not too down on this class. Even if these players don't pan out at their recruited positions, they'll be great athletes for special teams.

I'm not too down on this class. Even if these players don't pan out at their recruited positions, they'll be great athletes for special teams.

Health look at it.

Just after years of sucking, we just can’t afford mediocre classes.