Dungey throwing balls in the dirt | Syracusefan.com

Dungey throwing balls in the dirt

PhatOrange

Living Legend
I watch a lot of college football on weekends. A lot. I'm hard pressed to recall a QB throwing a pass into the dirt. I'm sure it happens, I just don't see it. Dungey has thrown 3 into the dirt in consecutive weekends. He's clearly - lets say - off. Have to hope he gets right with 2 weeks to rest.

I don't envy HCDB being in this predicament. I think at a minimum they have to script out a series, or two, for DeVito but it's a very delicate situation with a lot riding on it. You can't give him a series and then go 3 and out. Just can't.

Makes you wonder if his muscle mass hinders his throwing. What elite QBs are as ripped as him? Look at guys like Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Wentz, etc. Sure it makes him an imposing running QB, and he has the strength to throw the ball down the field, but he's been pretty bad with the touch passes recently.

i think he's a little banged up but Im also seeing what Ive always seen. Inconsistency in his throws and reads. He's gutsey and competitive but not as skillful throwing the ball. Im hoping for a tim tebow type rally and closing out his senior season carrying his team on his back by any means.

Banged up? Yes

Throwing effected by added mass? Yes, probably.

The throw in the dirt at Clemson was the most costly of all. With that completion we would have picked up a first down and the ineligible receiver downfield call would have never happened. Being at Memorial Stadium if he completed that pass and we picked up first down it would have sucked the life out of the crowd/team and I honestly believe we would have won that game.

In my opinion his poor throwing on short passes is due to his shoulder injury.

but he has thrown this way from day one. he looks around and rushes throws without setting his feet. it is what it is
Absolutely this. Kid is a great competitor and wins us games. However, he is not a pure passer at all. He flicks the ball and rarely is set with his feet. The difference between he and Devito is very noticeable. The ball never tracks when he throws them, they arc.

Absolutely this. Kid is a great competitor and wins us games. However, he is not a pure passer at all. He flicks the ball and rarely is set with his feet. The difference between he and Devito is very noticeable. The ball never tracks when he throws them, they arc.
I agree with all of these posts but when does Dino finally decide to do something about it? We can not continue to have these problems in the next few games or we are in trouble. PS: I am a big Dungey fan!

Makes you wonder if his muscle mass hinders his throwing. What elite QBs are as ripped as him? Look at guys like Brady, Peyton, Rodgers, Wentz, etc. Sure it makes him an imposing running QB, and he has the strength to throw the ball down the field, but he's been pretty bad with the touch passes recently.
Negative. And cooney’s muscle didn’t affect his shot either.

I don't really see why muscle mass would hinder his ability to throw. He's been throwing 10,000 passes while building the muscle and don't believe it's hindered his arm flexibility.

Throwing straight into the dirt is hard to do. Injury, mechanics, mental state (chuck knowblach). When you start "aiming" or thinking about it you're in trouble.

I watch a lot of college football on weekends. A lot. I'm hard pressed to recall a QB throwing a pass into the dirt. I'm sure it happens, I just don't see it. Dungey has thrown 3 into the dirt in consecutive weekends. He's clearly - lets say - off. Have to hope he gets right with 2 weeks to rest.

I don't envy HCDB being in this predicament. I think at a minimum they have to script out a series, or two, for DeVito but it's a very delicate situation with a lot riding on it. You can't give him a series and then go 3 and out. Just can't.
He has way more overthrown balls than in the dirt. Maybe his arm is to strong.

Muscle mass in and of itself isn't a hindrance. However as Cuseregular pointed out in another thread if he is paying too much attention to his beach muscles and not enough to the shoulder stabilizers, and I'll add range of motion, he has been setting his shoulder up for injury.

It did Brandon Triche’s. Pretty sure Rob Drummond had to assist him correctly tone down after he came in his freshman or sophomore year looking like shamarko thomas

Muscle mass absolutely affects throwing (range of motion, added weight of arm, etc). I pitched in college, and we were basically told to never bench press due to the tightening of the shoulder muscles. Throwing a football is much different than a baseball, sure, but adding all of that weight in his upper body can definitely impact his arm control, consistency, and muscle memory.

we're overthinking it. he got drilled against WMU and FSU and obviously hurt his arm and now he's throwing poorly. maybe the weights have hindered him before the injury (was never a great passer) but saturday was something entirely different

we're overthinking it. he got drilled against WMU and FSU and obviously hurt his arm and now he's throwing poorly. maybe the weights have hindered him before the injury (was never a great passer) but saturday was something entirely different

There has to be something wrong. He was never a great passer, but this is a whole other level. After seeing Devito get a bunch of series in week 1, and then seeing what he did in the 2nd half vs FSU, i'm shocked we haven't seen Babers give ED a rest and see what Devito can do. I feel terrible for Eric because he has put everything on the line for this program, but 100% Devito > 80% Dungey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom