Dungey | Syracusefan.com

Dungey

McNabb2Brominski

All Conference
Looks awesome in this offense. Looks like his throwing motion is quicker. All his throws were on the money, didn't overshoot the receiver by 10 yards on the long balls. 34-40 355 yd 2 tds is a really good stat line but as Babers said he has a lot of room for improvement. The offense is just scratching the surface on what their capable of but once it really gets going, he's going to put up some serious numbers. I hope he can stay healthy over the next 3 years because he will be breaking the record books.

film room this week will be interesting for the kids i suspect.. how many missed reads we will never know.. how many bad blocks is hard to tell, how many missed lanes by the RBs you could tell in the PC babers could see they made mistakes there too.

all we can ask is get better

Looks awesome in this offense. Looks like his throwing motion is quicker. All his throws were on the money, didn't overshoot the receiver by 10 yards on the long balls. 34-40 355 yd 2 tds is a really good stat line but as Babers said he has a lot of room for improvement. The offense is just scratching the surface on what their capable of but once it really gets going, he's going to put up some serious numbers. I hope he can stay healthy over the next 3 years because he will be breaking the record books.

Meh...he looked sharp in the first quarter. After that, it was hit or miss. Etta-Tawo made some really tough adjustments to catch some of those sideline passes. If those passes were better thrown, they're touchdowns. Similarly the throw to Ishmael in the end zone. Biggest takeaway for me was that our receivers' hands collectively are much, much better this year than last. The enormous number of reps they take in practice seems to be having an effect. Second biggest takeaway is that the scheme does not require an incredible performance from the QB to win. The scheme got a lot of that yardage and a lot of guys open for Dungey so he didn't have to be perfect.

Colgate. From my couch the 1st pass of the game looked like a pick 6 against top tier ACC teams. Could have been the angle.
Overall, a welcome change in attitude and philosophy.
Dingy could thrive, if our guys can get open.

supp said:
Meh...he looked sharp in the first quarter. After that, it was hit or miss. Etta-Tawo made some really tough adjustments to catch some of those sideline passes. If those passes were better thrown, they're touchdowns. Similarly the throw to Ishmael in the end zone. Biggest takeaway for me was that our receivers' hands collectively are much, much better this year than last. The enormous number of reps they take in practice seems to be having an effect. Second biggest takeaway is that the scheme does not require an incredible performance from the QB to win. The scheme got a lot of that yardage and a lot of guys open for Dungey so he didn't have to be perfect.

Yeah 85% completion percentage means you left 15% on the field Dungey!

(half-kidding - I think it's obvious there is work to be done. But I can't get over how much higher the ceiling has gotten)

"Meh?"

"MEH?"

LMFAO -- get a grip. Some of you really need to get some perspective. If you can't see the difference in how this offensive scheme works better than what we've been subjected to the last 17 years, you probably ought to pick a different sport to critique. That doesn't mean that execution was flawless, but the barometer for Dungey shouldn't be perfection. Game 1 of a new system, playing extensively vanilla / base sets, non-optimized personnel.

Dungey's "Meh" / "hit or miss" game produced 85% completions and 350+ yards and multiple touchdowns. Change is afoot, and the future is bright.

Last edited:
Yeah 85% completion percentage means you left 15% on the field Dungey!

(half-kidding - I think it's obvious there is work to be done. But I can't get over how much higher the ceiling has gotten)

A significant part of that completion percentage is the scheme. That's why I said it's great that we don't need the QB to be perfect anymore to gain yards and win. This is the first game. He'll get better. The receivers are ahead of him right now.

Dino Babers was almost certain Eric Dungey turned in the best performance for a starting quarterback in their first game under Babers. He then retraced his steps and challenged the media to compare the numbers. Assuming Babers meant his stops as a head coach, here’s how Jimmy Garoppolo, Matt Johnson and Dungey stack up.

“I would imagine if you put his opening performance against the other quarterbacks that I’ve had opening performances, I’d imagine it might be the best. Maybe,” Babers said after Syracuse’s 33-7 win over Colgate Friday night. “Someone do the stat numbers on it and let me know. I’ll read it tomorrow. I’ll read all your guys stuff anyway, so somebody let me know.”

On Aug. 30, 2012, Garoppolo, now the New England Patriots starter, posted these numbers in Babers’ Eastern Illinois coaching debut:

Completion percentage: 65.3 (32-of-49)
Passing yards: 369
Touchdown passes: five
Times sacked: five
Rushing yards: Negative-three on nine carries
Game result: 49-28 win over Southern Illinois

MORE COVERAGE:

On Aug. 29, 2014, Matt Johnson tallied these numbers in Babers’ debut at the helm of Bowling Green

Completion percentage: 69.4 (25-of-36)
Passing yards: 314
Touchdown passes: one
Times sacked: three
Rushing yards: Negative-21 on six carries
Game result: 59-31 loss to Western Kentucky

Note: The season opener was the only game Johnson played before James Knapke took over as the Falcons starting quarterback for the rest of the season

On Friday night, Dungey had a career-best game with his military brother Matt watching him play live for the first time in college

Completion percentage: 85 (34-of-40)
Passing yards: 355
Touchdown passes: two
Times sacked: two
Rushing yards: 35 on 10 carries
Game result: 33-7 win over Colgate

CONCLUSION

Johnson is out of the running for best performance since he threw for the fewest yards and touchdowns and was the only one of the three to lose in Babers’ debut. It comes down to Dungey and Tom Brady’s replacement, and both led their teams to wins of more than 20 points in the season-openers.

Dungey completed 20 percent more of his passes and both attempted at least 40. Garoppolo had 14 more passing yards, but those come on nine more throws. While Garoppolo threw for five touchdowns compared to Dungey’s two, the Syracuse sophomore was sacked three fewer times and ran for 38 more yards.

Dungey wins this one by a hair.

"Meh?"

"MEH?"

LMFAO -- get a grip. Some of you really need to get some perspective. If you can't see the difference in how this offensive scheme works better than what we've been subjected to the last 17 years, you probably ought to pick a different sport to critique. That doesn't mean that execution was flawless, but the barometer for Dungey shouldn't be perfection. Game 1 of a new system, playing extensively vanilla / base sets, non-optimized personnel.

Dungey's "Meh" / "hit or miss" game produced 85% completions and 350+ yards and multiple touchdowns. Change is afoot, and the future is bright.
Just because people find room for improvement doesn't mean that they can't see how the scheme is better. In fact, he said exactly that. What's cool to think about is that we had those numbers AND obvious room for improvement. As Dungey continues to refine his game, becomes more accurate, gets more comfortable looking downfield, gets more comfortable in the pocket, and as his receivers get better at making their reads it'll only get better.

We can be excited about what we see now and still find things to critique. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Just because people find room for improvement doesn't mean that they can't see how the scheme is better. In fact, he said exactly that. What's cool to think about is that we had those numbers AND obvious room for improvement. As Dungey continues to refine his game, becomes more accurate, gets more comfortable looking downfield, gets more comfortable in the pocket, and as his receivers get better at making their reads it'll only get better.

We can be excited about what we see now and still find things to critique. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Actually, what he said was "Meh" "hit or miss" and "the scheme got a lot of that yardage." All of which casts a disparaging light on Dungey's capabilities.

I have zero problem whatsoever with people finding room for improvement. Our execution was far from perfect, and there are DEFINITELY areas / positional units that need to improve for us to take the next step.

But reading some of the crap posted here, y0u'd think that we just eked out a win while struggling offensively.

BTW, of Dungey's 6 incompletions, two were intentionally thrown away, another hit Philips in the hands in the end zone. If that's "meh," then perspective is needed.

Last edited:
None of those other four will sniff this list even midway through the season. I think Dungy will average somewhere around 325 this year.
The real question is whether Dungey throws over/under 3,500 yards in the regular season. Assuming he stays healthy.

It's okay. Let him rant. This guy is the king of like-bait.

It's okay. Let him rant. This guy is the king of like-bait.

Your posts are what's "meh."

I couldn't care less about likes. If people agree, that's up to them. Funny that zero people like your original post that I was responding to, though. That should tell you something, but it probably won't.

The real question is whether Dungey throws over/under 3,500 yards in the regular season. Assuming he stays healthy.
If he is healthy I think he will be closer to 4,000 than to 3,500.

Moral of the story: we've hit the "meh" quota on this one

I don't know about meh but Dungey definitely left some meat on the bone. Way too quick to vacate the pocket. I remember one play in the red zone where he took of yo his left and missed a wide open guy going down the right sideline. Also didn't really go through his progressions often. I think it was a an amazing night which could and will be better... No he won't always be this accurate but I suspect he will have more yards per completion.

Actually, what he said was "Meh" "hit or miss" and "the scheme got a lot of that yardage." All of which casts a disparaging light on Dungey's performance.

I have zero problem whatsoever with people finding room for improvement. Our execution was far from perfect, and there are DEFINITELY areas / positional units that need to improve for us to take the next step.

But reading some of the crap posted here, y0u'd think that we just eked out a win while struggling offensively.

BTW, of Dungey's 6 incompletions, two were intentionally thrown away, another hit Philips in the hands in the end zone. If that's "meh," then perspective is needed.

Some past qB's could be standing ten yards from a receiver, the two alone in a parking lot, and not complete the percentage the kid did yesterday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom