Dwight Freeney Retiring | Syracusefan.com

Dwight Freeney Retiring

Tied for 17th all time in sacks. Hall of Fame?

I say yes, but will take time. Perhaps a Senior Candidate.

As a Patriots fan, for years now I wanted them to bring him in as a late career situational guy. Never did. :|

I wont say HOF lock because voters are fickle, but extremely strong contender

I wont say HOF lock because voters are fickle, but extremely strong contender
Think about it this way...
The early 90s Bills are akin to the early 2000s Colts.

Kelly - Peyton
Thurman - Edge
Reed - Marvin
B.Smith - Dwight
GM Polian - GM Polian

Everyone on that list is going to be in the HOF except Edgerin (great back). But those two teams won a crapload of games (Colts won a SB) and they'll eventually all be enshrined "together" in Canton. As they should.

Dwight was as good a rep of SU football as anyone the last 30 years.

Think about it this way...
The early 90s Bills are akin to the early 2000s Colts.

Kelly - Peyton
Thurman - Edge
Reed - Marvin
B.Smith - Dwight
GM Polian - GM Polian

Everyone on that list is going to be in the HOF except Edgerin (great back). But those two teams won a crapload of games (Colts won a SB) and they'll eventually all be enshrined "together" in Canton. As they should.

Dwight was as good a rep of SU football as anyone the last 30 years.
That's a cool comparison, but some of those guys separated themselves more from their peers than others and had more cemented HOF credentials. Bruce Smith was a HOF lock as probably one of the top 2 DE's of all time. I think Freeney deserves to be in, but I don't know if his numbers make him a lock.

Tied for 17th all time in sacks. Hall of Fame?

I say yes, but will take time. Perhaps a Senior Candidate.

No brainer. Within first three years of eligibility. I'm always puzzled by the rationale that someone belongs in the HofF but not as a first ballot entry. What changes after the first ballot?

No brainer. Within first three years of eligibility. I'm always puzzled by the rationale that someone belongs in the HofF but not as a first ballot entry. What changes after the first ballot?
Doesn't it depend on who else is eligible in a given year? Don't they limit per year the number that are inducted.

Last edited:
Doesn't it depend on who else is eligible in a given year? Don't they limit per year that are inducted.

Yeah it does but that isn't always the sum total of the conversation. Just the differentiate between a Hall of Famer and a first ballot Hall of Famer never made sense to me.

Yeah it does but that isn't always the sum total of the conversation. Just the differentiate between a Hall of Famer and a first ballot Hall of Famer never made sense to me.
Maybe it's as simple as regardless of who is on the ballot, certain guys will get in over them. There will never be 5 guys in any given year that will beat out Peyton Manning, when he becomes eligible. Other guys have to wait for a less competitive year.

I personally think Freeney is the best player at his individual position at SU in my lifetime. Way better than McNabb, Harrison, etc.
I can see that. If you're specifically talking about college the one thing McNabb and Harrison have over him is consistency over 4 years. Freeney's injuries limited him to about 1 1/2 years of elite play. His senior year may have been the most dominant single year by any player in the dome era. Some of the older timers can chime in on some 80's era guys I'm not as familiar with.

I can see that. If you're specifically talking about college the one thing McNabb and Harrison have over him is consistency over 4 years. Freeney's injuries limited him to about 1 1/2 years of elite play. His senior year may have been the most dominant single year by any player in the dome era. Some of the older timers can chime in on some 80's era guys I'm not as familiar with.

I should have specified, when playing at his highest level. I think there are a lot more players in college football history like McNabb and Harrison than there are like Freeney.

I should have specified, when playing at his highest level. I think there are a lot more players in college football history like McNabb and Harrison than there are like Freeney.
That makes sense. He was easily the biggest game changer on defense that I ever saw in a SU uniform. I had season tickets during that era, including 2000 and 2001.

I personally think Freeney is the best player at his individual position at SU in my lifetime. Way better than McNabb, Harrison, etc.
I'd say Tim Green, if he falls within your time span.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom