Early season games next season: Cuse vs Temple @ MSG | Syracusefan.com

Early season games next season: Cuse vs Temple @ MSG

It's supposed to be some screwy tournament where SU and Temple play the same 3 cupcakes then advance to MSG.

Meanwhile, the cupcakes play each other so everyone gets 4 games out of the deal.

Probably why they call it a "Classic".

I'm curious as to how this game came about. Seriously, Temple? This had to have been a last minute thing where both schools were available , or someone pulled out that was supposed to play us. I assume it is part of the exempt once-a-year early season tourney rule so that might be why it ended up being Temple and not someone bigger or better. It would have been nice to play a solid top 25 squad going into next year in this game, maybe a Texas, Missouri, or even a Gonzaga/Creighton/VCU type mid major. I can't imagine there is going to be much interest outside of us SU fans, so it's puzzling why it's not a bigger name...

I'm curious as to how this game came about. Seriously, Temple? This had to have been a last minute thing where both schools were available , or someone pulled out that was supposed to play us. I assume it is part of the exempt once-a-year early season tourney rule so that might be why it ended up being Temple and not someone bigger or better. It would have been nice to play a solid top 25 squad going into next year in this game, maybe a Texas, Missouri, or even a Gonzaga/Creighton/VCU type mid major. I can't imagine there is going to be much interest outside of us SU fans, so it's puzzling why it's not a bigger name...

I feel the same way. I'd love a top 5 team for once, but I'd be happy with a solid top 25 as you mentioned. Still keeping my fingers crossed for Kentucky in the BE/SEC thing, but it just makes too much sense to actually happen.

why would any of these teams get invited to the GOTHAM city classic?

also Temple should be a fringe top 25 team next year

Whatever happened or fell through, MSG can't be too happy about it. Temple??

Don't kno

Don't know for certain by I would be willing to bet this was the quid pro quo for agreeing to fix our FB scheduling problem this year (they agreed to play us at the Vet in our final game).

Why does MSG care who the opponent is as long as SU is playing it is a near certain sellout?

Why does MSG care who the opponent is as long as SU is playing it is a near certain sellout?

this is where i point out it's not like we always sell out these early season games at MSG. Didn't even sell out vs Carolina for the doubleheader in 2009. DIdn't come close last year, though of course Thanksgiving was part of that.

Yeah, no way does this even come near a sell out. This isn't the Big East Tourny...

Yeah, but this is TEMPLE in December!!! Ok, you guys are right, but do Temple fans travel? Do they support their team? Do they exist?

I'd predict a crowd of about 10K at MSG for that game.

I have no idea what Temple will look like as a team next year, but they're usually a quality opponent who uses the OOC schedule to play some very good teams every year. In fact, they usually end up stealing a win that goes a long way come tourney time. They beat Duke (#3) last year and Georgetown (#10) the year before, plus some other good games they couldn't quite pull out (Kansas #1 in '10). Every year they seem to enter the tourney as about a 5 seed. It's not an elite opponent, but it's certainly a quality one, and will take a good effort for Syracuse to win.

why would any of these teams get invited to the GOTHAM city classic?

also Temple should be a fringe top 25 team next year

So why would Temple get invited to the GOTHAM city classic when those teams wouldn't?

So why would Temple get invited to the GOTHAM city classic when those teams wouldn't?

Temple's fan base, what there is of it, is only 1-1/2 hour drive away. A Missou or Texas matchup might be a better TV draw, but I doubt they're going to improve the gate any. As for Creighton, VCU or Gonzaga...I would think Temple would be a bigger draw both on TV and at the gate.

Very interesting.

First, Temple is scheduled to become a full BE member in 2013. Is this the Garden and the BE saying welcome Temple, goodbye SU?

Second, interesting that Barkley's Center next year - in it's first year of business - is already even with the Garden in terms of scheduling premium college BB events.

Very interesting.

First, Temple is scheduled to become a full BE member in 2013. Is this the Garden and the BE saying welcome Temple, goodbye SU?

Second, interesting that Barkley's Center next year - in it's first year of business - is already even with the Garden in terms of scheduling premium college BB events.

Could that be because the Barclays has more dates available? Just throwing it out there, I don't know if that is right or not.

this is where i point out it's not like we always sell out these early season games at MSG. Didn't even sell out vs Carolina for the doubleheader in 2009. DIdn't come close last year, though of course Thanksgiving was part of that.

The preseason nit crowds were embarrassing. The biggest SU crowd I've ever been a part of at the garden was st. Johns this year. That was amazing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

you serious? Temple is like an hour and a half from MSG

Temple is closer to NYC than Syracuse

Could that be because the Barclays has more dates available? Just throwing it out there, I don't know if that is right or not.

Probably the case. The Garden's bookings are very tight. When I wrote the above I was reflecting back to a post I made on the old site where I made a case that Brooklyn is the epicenter of basketball in America and Barclay's would soon eclipse the Garden as the mecca for BB in America. A brash claim, but with Barclay's being easier to get to by public transportation for most City folk, I think in time it will hold true.

Sure. MSG has Knicks, Rangers and St Johns. Barclays has Nets. Don't know what else is filling up their dates.

The preseason nit crowds were embarrassing. The biggest SU crowd I've ever been a part of at the garden was st. Johns this year. That was amazing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

St. Johns game this year was awesome.