Eastern Football | Syracusefan.com

Eastern Football

raf4488

Starter
When we sucked, the thought was the Northeast can only support 1-2 "good" programs at a time.

Right now we have:

#9 WVU
#13 SU
#17 BC
#20 PSU
Pitt is the frontrunner to win the Coastal

If you have a competent coach you can win even when your regional rivals are also winning.

When we sucked, the thought was the Northeast can only support 1-2 "good" programs at a time.

Right now we have:

#9 WVU
#13 SU
#17 BC
#20 PSU

If you have a competent coach you can win even when your regional rivals are also winning.
I don't consider WFVU to be northeast.

But also note that Rutgers and UCONN are ambitiously awful. Maryland has a shaky future. Pitt is Pitt.

There's been a recalibration.

Right now we have:

#9 WVU
#13 SU
#17 BC
#20 PSU

Don’t forget UConn and Rutgers LOL

But also note that Rutgers and UCONN are ambitiously awful. Maryland has a shaky future. Pitt is Pitt.

I included West efffing Virginia because they're an old Eastern Indy and they're an hour from Pittsburgh and recruit Western PA hard. If Maryland counts (they were in a southern conference for decades) than surely WVU does as well, IMO.

UMD and Pitt are solid and on track for bowl seasons.

I think Rutgers and UConn sucking has more to do with the decisions made at Rutgers and UConn than anything else

I think Rutgers and UConn sucking has more to do with the decisions made at Rutgers and UConn than anything else
Right, but that's the point - their descent has created opportunity.

Right, but that's the point - their descent has created opportunity.
Oh, definitely. I just think that while RU and UConn being bad helps us, it isn't necessary for them to be awful for SU to be successful. SU and Rutgers have been recruiting similar talent for the past 3 years

Does ub get a shot at a big conference soon?
No. Don't confuse having some success at the MAC level as an invitation to anything greater. If it was Toledo would be in the B1G over Rutgers.

No. Don't confuse having some success at the MAC level as an invitation to anything greater. If it was Toledo would be in the B1G over Rutgers.

They’re close to becoming an annual march team in basketball and are 9-1 in football. If umass got any consideration, UB will

i do. traditional rivalry and player with the north east. funny, acc took louisville and not wvu as well. neither are academic bastions. i miss playing wvu always a great feeling when we beat them

i do. traditional rivalry and player with the north east. funny, acc took louisville and not wvu as well. neither are academic bastions. i miss playing wvu always a great feeling when we beat them
I don't have a good reason why, when I think of WFVU I think of the south, not the northeast.

Rutgers and UConn have ALWAYS been blips in terms of Northeast football. They each have won ONE Lambert Trophy and their record in each of those seasons was 8-5. Nuff said.

For me, Northeast football is (alpha) Army, BC, Navy, PSU, Pitt, SU, and WVU. It should include MD due to location as well, but they always have played a more Southern schedule due to their long association with southern conferences. Meanwhile, WVU while perhaps a tweener in terms of geography has always played a more northeastern schedule until conference realignment forced them into the B12.

Anyway, the OP point remains except should also include Army as well. They are having a great season.

LGO!!!

Cheers,
Neil

I don't have a good reason why, when I think of WFVU I think of the south, not the northeast.

It's like 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. I'd say Morgantown is in the Northeast but other places in West Virginia like Charleston are not Northeastern.

I included West efffing Virginia because they're an old Eastern Indy and they're an hour from Pittsburgh and recruit Western PA hard. If Maryland counts (they were in a southern conference for decades) than surely WVU does as well, IMO.

UMD and Pitt are solid and on track for bowl seasons.

WVA is not eastern football. At all.

WVU was gone to the Big 12 already and not an option. They would have got Marylands spot for certain IMO had they been stuck in the AAC when Maryland bailed.

They should have gotten invited to the ACC over Pitt. I wouldn't mind the annual crossover being vs them.

I wish we had a conference that represented the Northeast, the most populous area of the country.

Syracuse, Boston College, Army, Navy, Connecticut, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, West Virginia, Maryland. Throw in Notre Dame and we've got plenty of good football and plenty of good basketball and lacrosse, as well. Yet it would not be a gauntlet of top 25 teams, either. A schedule should be a balanced mix of good, mediocre and bad teams so your record truly reflects the quality of your team.

WVA is not eastern football. At all.
Why not? This is a serious question as I am too young to remember the pre-Big East era. They were a Big East school and an Eastern Independent before that, and their 3 most played schools of all time are Pitt, SU, and PSU

Why not? This is a serious question as I am too young to remember the pre-Big East era. They were a Big East school and an Eastern Independent before that, and their 3 most played schools of all time are Pitt, SU, and PSU
WVU *is* an Eastern school.

They had a run w/ the SoCon (as did UMD), and they tried to join the ACC (w/ UMD + pals), but they are an eastern school. They’re in the Big XII because the Big XII is/was desperate, and no sane conference actually wants WVU. They’re like UL.

WVU *is* an Eastern school.

They had a run w/ the SoCon (as did UMD), and they tried to join the ACC (w/ UMD + pals), but they are an eastern school. They’re in the Big XII because the Big XII is/was desperate, and no sane conference actually wants WVU. They’re like UL.
Right, that's what I thought. Would love them in the ACC instead of UL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom