Ed Cooley/John Thompson 9/11 story | Syracusefan.com

Ed Cooley/John Thompson 9/11 story

How short life can potentially be. A tragic day making Cooley and Thompson's more dramatic, but I'd wager we all have had minor examples in our own lives of seconds difference in being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Great article.

My 9/11 story reads a little like this one.
I worked on Church St about 2 blocks from the old Twin Towers and used to take the 1 Train to the WTC station.
I’d started my vacation that Friday and had a flight to London booked for, yup, September 11 outta JFK.
I worked for Citibank at the time and wanted to get some AMEX Travellers Cheques (remember those?) for the trip, and i could get them for free if i picked them up at the office branch. My choice was to go in on Monday the 10th, or Tuesday the 11th to pick them up. So...on Monday the 10th at exactly 8:30 am i got off at the One WTC stop, walked through the lobby and out through Church st to my old job.
If I’d waited till the next day, I’d have been in a world of #%*t. I had watched from my apt balcony on the UWS as the 2nd plane hit, and was too far away to hear any noise. All i saw was the plane disappeared into the bldg, and an eerie puff of smoke.
I was always a procrastinator but something made me go that one day before...& i don’t know what or why.
Btw- i had to postpone my flight to London until that Saturday, and there were literally 10 people total on that plane. Folks were scared to fly and i remember looking out over empty rows throughout the plane.
Gave me lots of time...and room, to think about what had happened.

Last edited:
Even Big John foes are bound to find this story spooky and a bit heartwarming

Ed Cooley is good people. I'm from Easton MA and have followed him since Stonehill. Glad he's having success with Providence. Amazing story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom