Edwards...from not being ready(per Boehiem)..... | Syracusefan.com

Edwards...from not being ready(per Boehiem).....

Status
Not open for further replies.

UD1954

Scout Team
...to being the key to the success of this years team. Whereas we'll be a better shooting team our rebounding ,defense and playmaking is going to be subpar. Edwards helps with rebounding and defense but losing Kadary really hurts with our playmaking ...Symir might be a good player but Kadary is a NBA talent.

...to being the key to the success of this years team. Whereas we'll be a better shooting team our rebounding ,defense and playmaking is going to be subpar. Edwards helps with rebounding and defense but losing Kadary really hurts with our playmaking ...Symir might be a good player but Kadary is a NBA talent.
All of that without seeing one practice or one game. Wow. I won't go in to the number of guys over the years that had big improvements from one year to another.

Well, he has a chance to show something that they would want to see this year. first, an improved outside shot. Second, man to man defensive skills. And before anyone objects, he hasn't shown that yet. And it is a question until he shows he is a excellent defender.

Well, he wasn't ready until at least mid-season last year. We all knew that he was raw and the plan was to redshirt him. He and his parents were in full agreement, so it was more than "per Boeheim."

To make matters worse, the pandemic kept him in The Netherlands all summer of 2020 so he couldn't work out at SU or play pick up games with his teammates. When he finally made it to campus, we had several week-long suspensions of practice due to Covid. Guys who are raw desperately need all of the time he missed. It is a credit to him that he made the strides necessary to be a contributor later in the season and I fully expect him to have made major strides during the off-season this year. Big men are often raw when young because prior to college they don't get quality big-man coaching plus with their height they can dominate high school aged kids without needing D1 skills. They are often recruited on potential and it takes time for that potential to manifest itself in something better.

All of that without seeing one practice or one game. Wow. I won't go in to the number of guys over the years that had big improvements from one year to another.
One of the UNC guys who was an announcer commented one time about the jumps that SU players often make between year 1 and 2. I expect Jesse to be huge. ( I have been bullish on him since the Houston game.).

Well, he wasn't ready until at least mid-season last year. We all knew that he was raw and the plan was to redshirt him. He and his parents were in full agreement, so it was more than "per Boeheim."

To make matters worse, the pandemic kept him in The Netherlands all summer of 2020 so he couldn't work out at SU or play pick up games with his teammates. When he finally made it to campus, we had several week-long suspensions of practice due to Covid. Guys who are raw desperately need all of the time he missed. It is a credit to him that he made the strides necessary to be a contributor later in the season and I fully expect him to have made major strides during the off-season this year. Big men are often raw when young because prior to college they don't get quality big-man coaching plus with their height they can dominate high school aged kids without needing D1 skills. They are often recruited on potential and it takes time for that potential to manifest itself in something better.
Sometime being ready is knowing the defensive rotations

Other coaches play young players and watch them improve ... the only reason Edwards got playing time late last year is when Jay Bilas and other announcers questioned why he wasn't playing given our need at center. Being that last year was a freebie eligibility wise there was no reason Edwards didn't get playing time after Sidibe went down in the first game.

Other coaches play young players and watch them improve ... the only reason Edwards got playing time late last year is when Jay Bilas and other announcers questioned why he wasn't playing given our need at center. Being that last year was a freebie eligibility wise there was no reason Edwards didn't get playing time after Sidibe went down in the first game.
LOL!

Confused fan imagines that Jim Boeheim--stubborn man that he is--gives any part of a damn about what Jay Bilas has to say about how he is coaching his team.

The reason why these confused fans bleat out such nonsense is because they imagine coaching is simply a matter of plugging in the players who show the most impressive physical gifts into the starting lineup (while at the same time giving liberal amounts of PT to those deep on the bench).

It's the reason why they imagine themselves to possess a superior coaching mind to that of Jim Boeheim.

They are confused because they know nothing about the challenges of coaching a team over the course of a season to where your best 5-7 players are able to compete with the best lineups of the best teams in the country.

They've never seen the progress that young players make over the course of a season the way Jim Boeheim does every year, so they completely eliminate from their minds one of THE most important variables that coaches manage every year: experience.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

LOL!

Confused fan imagines that Jim Boeheim--stubborn man that he is--gives any part of a damn about what Jay Bilas has to say about how he is coaching his team.

The reason why these confused fans bleat out such nonsense is because they imagine coaching is simply a matter of plugging in the players who show the most impressive physical gifts into the starting lineup (while at the same time giving liberal amounts of PT to those deep on the bench).

It's the reason why they imagine themselves to possess a superior coaching mind to that of Jim Boeheim.

They are confused because they know nothing about the challenges of coaching a team over the course of a season to where your best 5-7 players are able to compete with the best lineups of the best teams in the country.

They've never seen the progress that young players make over the course of a season the way Jim Boeheim does every year, so they completely eliminate from their minds one of THE most important variables that coaches manage every year: experience.

Please teach us more, the undeserving peasants. Forgive us our mindless opinions.

LOL!

We haven’t been ranked during the regular season after New Year’s Day since 2014 but we really are seeing progress.
What Jim Boeheim has done is ride his horses to maintain being mediocre.

We have made one nice postseason run in 2016. The sweet sixteens are nice but 2 postseason wins don’t mean we are competing for a NC.

Jim Boeheim uses defense for some players as an excuse and then uses spacing as an excuse for other.
Joe Girard/Kadary Richmond perfect example. Richmond was MILES betfer defensively. Girard got the benefit of doubt time after time.

Edwards was such a difference maker for us but he only got to play because Marek got foul trouble at Ga. Tech.

UNC coaches mocked us for not using Edwards enough. They said we were harder play against when he was in.

We haven’t been ranked during the regular season after New Year’s Day since 2014 but we really are seeing progress.
What Jim Boeheim has done is ride his horses to maintain being mediocre.

We have made one nice postseason run in 2016. The sweet sixteens are nice but 2 postseason wins don’t mean we are competing for a NC.

Jim Boeheim uses defense for some players as an excuse and then uses spacing as an excuse for other.
Joe Girard/Kadary Richmond perfect example. Richmond was MILES betfer defensively. Girard got the benefit of doubt time after time.

Edwards was such a difference maker for us but he only got to play because Marek got foul trouble at Ga. Tech.

UNC coaches mocked us for not using Edwards enough. They said we were harder play against when he was in.
You're repeating the 'common knowledge' that slightly-informed fans were passing back and forth to each other last season, none of whom could have imagined at mid-season that Jim Boeheim would be able to coach his team to the Sweet Sixteen.

You imagine that you and some other observers, including coaches, were seeing something that Boeheim didn't see...Jesse's potential. When he said Jesse wasn't 'ready' he wasn't saying he'd never be ready that season, but that's how many chose to interpret it.

No one was more aware of Jesse's potential than his head coach. No one knew how the experience variables were evolving over the course of the season better than JB. His primary concern was in getting his most experienced players to eliminate their mistakes on both defense and offense. It's the reason why he values experience so much.

At the margin, when evaluating which substitutions are less risky than others, he's gonna make some guesses that are occasionally wrong. Hell, it's a guess. But he's gonna make his decisions based on what his own experience tells him will have a better chance of succeeding. And guess what?

He was proven right again with his team's success the last several games of the year. Yes, he tweaked his line up a bit (e.g., choosing Robert over Alan for experience reasons) but fans are incredibly deluded if they think JB suddenly decided to listen to the counsel of The Crowd.

The correct interpretation of Jesse's increased role at the end of the season was that in JB's eyes, he was starting to look as if the trade offs between his ability vs his inexperience had reached a threshold to where JB was willing to take a chance on him.

Whenever Boeheim's changes happened to match up with the The Crowd's hunches, it was purely coincidental. Only those caught up in the group narcissism phenomenon gripping fan discussion boards at that time became convinced that they were vindicated in their criticism. The actual truth: Boeheim had his own reasons for playing Jesse when he did and the results in the home stretch of the season demonstrated once again that his instincts and timing were spot on...

If the coach thought we were more likely to win if he didn’t play, that’s a reason. Gone are the days where we had lots of margin with regard to talent discrepancy or pre-season wins.

You're repeating the 'common knowledge' that slightly-informed fans were passing back and forth to each other last season, none of whom could have imagined at mid-season that Jim Boeheim would be able to coach his team to the Sweet Sixteen.

You imagine that you and some other observers, including coaches, were seeing something that Boeheim didn't see...Jesse's potential. When he said Jesse wasn't 'ready' he wasn't saying he'd never be ready that season, but that's how many chose to interpret it.

No one was more aware of Jesse's potential than his head coach. No one knew how the experience variables were evolving over the course of the season better than JB. His primary concern was in getting his most experienced players to eliminate their mistakes on both defense and offense. It's the reason why he values experience so much.

At the margin, when evaluating which substitutions are less risky than others, he's gonna make some guesses that are occasionally wrong. Hell, it's a guess. But he's gonna make his decisions based on what his own experience tells him will have a better chance of succeeding. And guess what?

He was proven right again with his team's success the last several games of the year. Yes, he tweaked his line up a bit (e.g., choosing Robert over Alan for experience reasons) but fans are incredibly deluded if they think JB suddenly decided to listen to the counsel of The Crowd.

The correct interpretation of Jesse's increased role at the end of the season was that in JB's eyes, he was starting to look as if the trade offs between his ability vs his inexperience had reached a threshold to where JB was willing to take a chance on him.

Whenever Boeheim's changes happened to match up with the The Crowd's hunches, it was purely coincidental. Only those caught up in the group narcissism phenomenon gripping fan discussion boards at that time became convinced that they were vindicated in their criticism. The actual truth: Boeheim had his own reasons for playing Jesse when he did and the results in the home stretch of the season demonstrated once again that his instincts and timing were spot on...
Give me a break.
Any team that makes the tournament that isn’t a 15 or 16 seed believes they can make the sweet sixteen.

Syracuse should be better than just trying to sneak into the tournament and win a couple games.
We should be relevant during the regular season. Not a bubble team year after year.
Boeheim didn’t want to play Edwards. He isn’t god he can be second guessed.

Better coaches have been second guessed. Boeheim is a great coach and alltimer. How he handled Edwards and Richmond last year was not good.

You will defend the Decisons no matter what the coach does. It doesn’t make you a better fan.
I want to win. The coach wants to win.

Sorry actually want to be relevant and not be a bubble team every season.

Give me a break.
Any team that makes the tournament that isn’t a 15 or 16 seed believes they can make the sweet sixteen.

Syracuse should be better than just trying to sneak into the tournament and win a couple games.
We should be relevant during the regular season. Not a bubble team year after year.
Boeheim didn’t want to play Edwards. He isn’t god he can be second guessed.

Better coaches have been second guessed. Boeheim is a great coach and alltimer. How he handled Edwards and Richmond last year was not good.

You will defend the Decisons no matter what the coach does. It doesn’t make you a better fan.
I want to win. The coach wants to win.

Sorry actually want to be relevant and not be a bubble team every season.
All I remember from this great tournament run was a stubborn coach that wanted to win with his guys. That is the ONLY reason we couldn’t get the ball up past half court as many times as we didn’t, make one simple switch that anyone with a brain was yelling at the tv for the previous 5 possessions before he came in. We wouldn’t have won with Joe on the court and I think JB finally realized that and made a move he didn’t want to make that ultimately won him the game.

All I remember from this great tournament run was a stubborn coach that wanted to win with his guys. That is the ONLY reason we couldn’t get the ball up past half court as many times as we didn’t, make one simple switch that anyone with a brain was yelling at the tv for the previous 5 possessions before he came in. We wouldn’t have won with Joe on the court and I think JB finally realized that and made a move he didn’t want to make that ultimately won him the game.
I like Joe Girard as a player.
I think he is a valuable rotation piece.

Why he has to be a 4 year starter I don’t get.
Boeheim has been right a lot of the time.
Girard though is the first time I can remember his stubbornness just made no sense.

I like Jpe Girard as a player.

Girard though is the first time I can remember his stubbornness just made no sense.
If he played 15 a game, off the ball, and had a smarter shot selection I’d be all in on him.

I like Joe Girard as a player.

I think Joe is going to be really good this year. He had a rough year last year. At least most of the year. His ball handling under pressure is going to be something to monitor. Hopefully Benny can help him out a bit.

If he played 15 a game, off the ball, and had a smarter shot selection I’d be all in on him.
As an underclass yes and then with more years he would get more and more minutes.
As an underclassmen he shouldn’t be playing the minutes he did as a freshman.
Which made it hard as a sophomore to rein those minutes when we had Kadary.

They clearly caused a problem.
I mean would I have gone with Kadary over Joe last year easily.
Make Joe the guy backing up Kadary.
Not giving them 50-50 minutes only after Joe clearly struggled.

I am sure coach will be anxiously awaiting your expert recommendation

I think Joe is going to be really good this year. He had a rough year last year. At least most of the year. His ball handling under pressure is going to be something to monitor. Hopefully Benny can help him out a bit.

What have you seen that gives any indication that Joe will have gotten better? I've never seen anyone get faster, taller or more athletic - I still havent forgot an opposing staff say we are fielding YMCA players

Benny is going to need to help out more than a bit

First off Boehiem doesn't care what the fans or the press think and he's stubborn as hell which is why he won't fit in this new era of NCAA basketball ... Boehiem does care when he's questioned by people he respects with basketball knowledge(Bilas).... you could see what Edwards potential could be his first year and with our need at center last year he should of played more...you can't teach 7 foot

We haven’t been ranked during the regular season after New Year’s Day since 2014….
You may be right about post-New Year's regular season rankings, but I’ve always thought that the final end-of-season rankings and results were more important. Syracuse has advanced in the tournament in most seasons since 2009-10. And according to ESPN, Syracuse has been ranked or at least received votes in the Coaches’ Poll in most seasons since 2009-10:

2009-10 – 8th - lost to Butler in regional semifinal
2010-11 – 18th - lost to Marquette in second round
2011-12 – 5th - lost to Ohio State in regional final
2012-13 – 3rd - lost to Michigan in national semifinal
2013-14 - 17th - lost to Dayton in second round
2014-15 – unranked - self-imposed postseason ban
2015-16 – 10th - lost to North Carolina in national semifinal
2016-17 – unranked but received votes - lost to Ole Miss in NIT second round
2017-18 – unranked - lost to Duke in regional semifinal
2018-19 – unranked but received votes - lost to Baylor in first round
2019-20 – unranked - no tournament
2020-21 – 25th - lost to Houston in regional semifinal

You may be right about post-New Year's regular season rankings, but I’ve always thought that the final end-of-season rankings and results were more important. Syracuse has advanced in the tournament in most seasons since 2009-10. And according to ESPN, Syracuse has been ranked or at least received votes in the Coaches’ Poll in most seasons since 2009-10:

2009-10 – 8th - lost to Butler in regional semifinal
2010-11 – 18th - lost to Marquette in second round
2011-12 – 5th - lost to Ohio State in regional final
2012-13 – 3rd - lost to Michigan in national semifinal
2013-14 - 17th - lost to Dayton in second round
2014-15 – unranked - self-imposed postseason ban
2015-16 – 10th - lost to North Carolina in national semifinal
2016-17 – unranked but received votes - lost to Ole Miss in NIT second round
2017-18 – unranked - lost to Duke in regional semifinal
2018-19 – unranked but received votes - lost to Baylor in first round
2019-20 – unranked - no tournament
2020-21 – 25th - lost to Houston in regional semifinal
Do you want to win in March? The best way is actually be good in the regular season.
That way you get a higher seed.

I don’t want to be the little engine that could that wins a couple of games.

2016 team was screwed by Jb’s suspension. That said we have been mediocre in the regular season for fair too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom