Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SP_Gilbs

Walk On
Listened to the Cole Swider podcast earlier today where he had Edwards on as a guest and Edwards discussed his thoughts behind coming back or going pro. Sounds like he's genuinely torn and its 50/50 with the biggest motive being what is going to make him the best basketball player long term. He'd love to come back for the fans but also wants to do whats best for his basketball career and wants to make money while he can. Seems like if we can find a way to get him NIL money it would definitely help in getting him to come back, its here around the 37:30 minute mark for those that want to listen(and no swearing in this one unlike the Devo pod lol) :
‎The Cole Swider Show with Paddy Casey on Apple Podcasts

Listened to the Cole Swider podcast earlier today where he had Edwards on as a guest and Edwards discussed his thoughts behind coming back or going pro. Sounds like he's genuinely torn and its 50/50 with the biggest motive being what is going to make him the best basketball player long term. He'd love to come back for the fans but also wants to do whats best for his basketball career and wants to make money while he can. Seems like if we can find a way to get him NIL money it would definitely help in getting him to come back, its here around the 37:30 minute mark for those that want to listen(and no swearing in this one unlike the Devo pod lol) :
‎The Cole Swider Show with Paddy Casey on Apple Podcasts
Without hearing the podcast, pretty much what I heard was that it was 50/50. They can get him NIL money if we do take that foreign trip we have heard they are going to take. That should be a top priority for the staff. Jesse and Judah make us a player next year.

Would think he’d benefit more from college still than Euro. Could make comparable coin and would really benefit from learning and implementing a more physical game. He has the length.

Would think he’d benefit more from college still than Euro. Could make comparable coin and would really benefit from learning and implementing a more physical game. He has the length.
Especially if we’re playing more modern systems on both ends. Playing some man and getting used to covering pick and rolls as well as staying out of foul trouble can go a long way for him.

Without hearing the podcast, pretty much what I heard was that it was 50/50. They can get him NIL money if we do take that foreign trip we have heard they are going to take. That should be a top priority for the staff. Jesse and Judah make us a player next year.
What's his source?

: )

What are the puts and takes there with NIL? I assume he is barred from earning money in the US while here on a student visa. How does taking the Europe trip help? They can say he is being paid for work done in Europe? And if that is the case I wonder how the visa issues could be worked around by simply having a player do work in their own country remotely while in school in the US.

We, as fans, are selfish to pressure a kid to stay in school if he wants to go play professional. Ultimately, the kid has to do what feels right to him. This does not, however, instill in me a need to pay a kid to stay in school. Do what you want, Jesse. You don’t owe anyone here anything, and they don’t owe you anything.

After following the Weitsman thread, it seems SU wouldn't mess with loopholes to get him NIL. Could he get a working visa as a graduate for a cleaner path to getting paid?

You don't think they play more physical in the Euro leagues?

What are the puts and takes there with NIL? I assume he is barred from earning money in the US while here on a student visa. How does taking the Europe trip help? They can say he is being paid for work done in Europe? And if that is the case I wonder how the visa issues could be worked around by simply having a player do work in their own country remotely while in school in the US.
Kentucky did it last summer with their star player.

Europe isn't going anywhere I think he has unfinished business and shouldn't end his career without having a monster final season here.

JB delayed it a couple years pretty ridiculous how little he played in 2021 until the tournament actually played more as a freshman than sophomore.

The fact it's still a possibility he will stay is a good sign. He's basically saying:

Show-Me-the-Money-gif.gif

yep ... from On3

"Kentucky forward Oscar Tshiebwe, the reigning Naismith Player of the Year, benefited from the Wildcats' recent foreign tour to the Bahamas in August. Tshiebwe used the trip for NIL opportunities, which allowed him to earn roughly $500,000 in seven days, according to The Athletic."

Bahama's it is ... or maybe a trip to the Cayman's - they are good at keeping money things hush hush :)

yep ... from On3

"Kentucky forward Oscar Tshiebwe, the reigning Naismith Player of the Year, benefited from the Wildcats' recent foreign tour to the Bahamas in August. Tshiebwe used the trip for NIL opportunities, which allowed him to earn roughly $500,000 in seven days, according to The Athletic."

Bahama's it is ... or maybe a trip to the Cayman's - they are good at keeping money things hush hush :)
Seems legit. :rolleyes:

Yep, and not a peep out of the NCAA.
Aaahhh, not a great observation of no wrong doing. The NCAA heads/eyes only look in certain directions.

I'm pretty sure we have a booster (not AW) who is working on this now.
Is it just a matter of finding the money, or finding the loopholes/legalese to make this happen? Since we're not going after the Pitt transfer, keeping Edwards is make or break for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom