Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smart move by Bacot. The NBA would have salivated over him 10 to 15 years ago but now dominant college big men who aren't 3 point shooters struggle to stay or even get into the league. Make all you can for as long as you can Bacot with NIL. I've been to Westchester Knicks games and been around the facilities and it's miles away from a good D1 facility much less the NBA. Girard too will get a very good NIL package if he goes to the right program.

Yes, when the Prince was a student, he and his entourage took up the entire top floor of the Sheraton Hotel on campus
and that’s the truth and not meant to be a joke!
The entire time he was at SU or just to party?

Hopefully we hear something soon. Interesting how It's been pretty quiet up until Joe's decision.

He made $500K in NIL last year. Probably getting a raise for next season.

Absolutely insane. I wish I could have been gifted with better physical genetic traits.

Also been born several years later. Seriously I can’t imagine the players that left college right before “NIL” was a thing.

Only if it's a deal related to the Israel trip

Assuming getting decent NIL compensation to Edwards will heavily influence his decision to stay or go...

Will be interesting to see what the school will allow in this NIL situation and if they rubber-stamp the "Israel bag" to make that happen... Given the school's trepidation around Weitsman's public activities, I wonder if this is something they consider a bridge too far??

Now I know other school's have done similar with NIL and foreign players, but it's not like the NCAA couldn't arbitrarily decide that's a no-no and use Syracuse as the punching bag example on enforcement. We have an "enforcement example“ history with the NCAA on violations that other programs got away with, so we should be a little gun shy on pushing the envelope (no pun intended).

And I get the "...but team x, y, and z did it, so they can't burn us down with it..."

Remember, the NCAA doesn't operate equitably (and never have) and have gone out of their way to make us an "enforcement example" in the past.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what the school will allow in this NIL situation for Edwards and if they rubber-stamp to make that happen... Given the school's trepidation around Weitsman's public activities, I wonder if this is something they consider a bridge too far??

Now I know other school's have done similar with NIL and foreign players, but it's not like the NCAA couldn't arbitrarily decide that's a no-no and use Syracuse as the punching bag example on enforcement. We have a "example“ enforcement history with the NCAA on violations other programs got away with so we should be a little gun shy on pushing the envelope (no pun intended).

And I get the "...but team x, y, and z did it, so they can't burn us down with it..."

Remember, the NCAA doesn't operate equitably (and never have) and have gone out of their way to make us an "enforcement example" in the past.

I would say Weitsmans publicity around NIL and doing something overseas around Jesse are very different. It's not that other programs have done it so much as though if the country allows for it and there is precedent to the fact it is allowable under our laws and NCAA rules then the risk is nullified. As I understand it, while still not a simple matter as others with greater legal experience have shared, it's both legal and with precedent to point to.

I would say Weitsmans publicity around NIL and doing something overseas around Jesse are very different. It's not that other programs have done it so much as though if the country allows for it and there is precedent to the fact it is allowable under our laws and NCAA rules then the risk is nullified. As I understand it, while still not a simple matter as others with greater legal experience have shared, it's both legal and with precedent to point to.

Yeah, my hope is the actual legal grounding is ironclad...

If it's a legally gray area, I bet they play conservatively and there will be no bag for Jesse.

Last thing we need is more sanctions with a first year coach.

NCAA apparently is not a consideration in the NIL for foreign students debate. It's US Immigration and DHS regulations regarding F-1 visas that prevail. In addition to the foreign trip or home country earning opportunities there is also the possibility that passive income would not create an issue. There is also the possibility of reclassing to an O-1 visa that I believe is being explored.

Net is, that if there is NIL money available for Jesse, there will be ways to get it to him.

This article outlines the current landscape quite well:

NCAA apparently is not a consideration in the NIL for foreign students debate. It's US Immigration and DHS regulations regarding F-1 visas that prevail. In addition to the foreign trip or home country earning opportunities there is also the possibility that passive income would not create an issue. There is also the possibility of reclassing to an O-1 visa that I believe is being explored.

Net is, that if there is NIL money available for Jesse, there will be ways to get it to him.

This article outlines the current landscape quite well:

Yeah my bad - conflating things putting NCAA reference in there. I had read the above before and for some reason blanked on that one.

Yeah, my hope is the actual legal grounding is ironclad...

If it's a legally gray area, I bet they play conservatively and there will be no bag for Jesse.

Last thing we need is more sanctions with a first year coach.

you are conflating issues... there is no NCAA restriction on foreign players getting NIL money... its u.s. laws

Yep, its bad math. If Jesse is 7 feet tall, then that means he's 84 inches, 80% of 84 is 67.2, divided by 12 is 5.6. So he's 5 foot and .6 of a foot is 7 inches. So he is 5'7"
But he is only 6’11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors