Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you?

If it’s NIL money, aren’t there supposed to be strings attached? Like actual work for the company/donor?

Not the strings I’m talking about….

Did you not think people make investments for good returns or good P.R.? Of course he should benefit from spending millions of his own money. It's crazy to me that his money isn't good enough for some people. It's green like everyone else's. If he's really out of the NIL picture, Cuse made a huge mistake.
Are you behind on this? They have some new guy who’s going to be the new NIL rainmaker and will be a lot less public, plus a couple of others who will step up. It’s been talked about by various posters here and on Dean Francis’s podcast. Sounds like there’s no need to worry. Apparently the BOT and/or chancellor weren’t comfortable with how Weitsman was so public and flashy with all the NIL stuff. They don’t want the NCAA to come sniffing around, like with what Miami is facing with Ruiz. Or something.

Last edited:
Are you behind on this? They have some new guy who’s going to be the new NIL rainmaker and will be a lot less public, plus a couple of others who will step up. It’s been talked about by various posters here and on Dean Francis’s podcast. Sounds like there’s no need to worry. Apparently the BOT and/or chancellor weren’t comfortable with how Weitsman was so public and flashy with all the NIL stuff. They don’t want the NCAA to come sniffing around, like with what Miami is facing with Ruiz. Or something.
Thanks, I was behind. I saw some vague references to a possible new guy but didn’t know if that was official or real. Do we know his identity? Hopefully he can allocate significant means like Adam.

He made $500K in NIL last year. Probably getting a raise for next season.
North of 1 million next season. But...it is aging him rapidly

forty-dollars-money.gif

I'm sorry, I can't stand Bacot spending another year at UNC... but I had to give his tweet a like, it's the perfect response, haha. Well played sir!

Edit: For those who don't know, he tweeted a picture of Perry Ellis from Kansas, who seemingly played ball at KU for 22 years...

Last edited:
Thanks, I was behind. I saw some vague references to a possible new guy but didn’t know if that was official or real. Do we know his identity? Hopefully he can allocate significant means like Adam.
Who knows what’s real? We’re all just water. Lol. But yea, lots of folks have been talking about a big new NIL guy and the Weitsman split, so the rumor seems to have legs. I couldn’t care less who it is, as long as he’s willing to spend big to keep us competitive and keep a low profile. Still, I can’t imagine AW walks away entirely from Syracuse and NIL deals. Others have pointed out he just gave an NIL deal to Dyaisha Fair.

But I thought he was doing this to show how great our community is and to show what a great university we have???? He’s FOS. It’s about him and only him.

Please. Good riddance to this clown. We have better NIL supporters that align with what we’re trying to do.
If the university told him to take a hike how is that on him?

But I thought he was doing this to show how great our community is and to show what a great university we have???? He’s FOS. It’s about him and only him.

Please. Good riddance to this clown. We have better NIL supporters that align with what we’re trying to do.

Good call

CB040287-7EA1-434E-A8FE-1E686BE380AD.jpeg

The problem is non-immigrants who are here on F1 visa they are not allowed to work, this include all F1 students. There are some exceptions.

One such exception is if the student can work part time (up to 20 hours per week) on an on campus job (pay check comes from the university) such as working as a tutor, at the bookstore, dorm or dinning halls etc...

IF there is an economic hardship, you can apply to INS to work off campus full time during the summer vacation period. This hardship has to be documented and usually require some sudden and unexpected changes because typically before the F1 visa is granted INS require that you either have enough funds in the bank to finance your entire education, or you have a sponsor who has sufficient income to pay your way through, or you have a scholarship/grant etc...what makes it even harder is the off campus summer job must not displace another US citizen, so if that job can be done by another citizen the F1 holder can't take it. The INS has set up guidelines on how to demonstrate not displacing another citizen.

I don't see a way that INS granting special privileges to just athletes, in my opinion the only way this can happen is for them to grant employment rights to all F1 visa holders, athletes or not, or the university employs Jesse as a part time employee, pays him for his NIL by selling his jersey at the University Bookstore.

Last edited:
The problem is non-immigrants who are here on F1 visa they are not allowed to work, this include all F1 students. There are some exceptions.

One such exception is if the student can work part time (up to 20 hours per week) on an on campus job (pay check comes from the university) such as working as a tutor, at the bookstore, dorm or dinning halls etc...

IF there is an economic hardship, you can apply to INS to work off campus full time during the summer vacation period. This hardship has to be documented and usually require some sudden and unexpected changes because typically before the F1 visa is granted INS require that you either have enough funds in the bank to finance your entire education, or you have a sponsor who has sufficient income to pay your way through, or you have a scholarship/grant etc...what makes it even harder is the off campus summer job must not displace another US citizen, so if that job can be done by another citizen the F1 holder can't take it. The INS has set up guidelines on how to demonstrate not displacing another citizen.

I don't see a way that INS granting special privileges to just athletes, in my opinion the only way this can happen is for them to grant employment rights to all F1 visa holders, athletes or not, or the university employs Jesse as a part time employee, pays him for his NIL by selling his jersey at the University Bookstore.
Can someone on a working visa attend university? Does grad status change that?

I wonder if he has completed a years worth of college credits yet?
Did you forget their model?
You automatically get credits.
You just don’t have to go to class or do any work

Can someone on a working visa attend university? Does grad status change that?
Yes and No. It's complicated.

Normally when you apply to the university in the states from overseas they grant you a 4 year F1 visa. If you need to attend graduate school then you just apply to extend the F1 visa for another year or two...this is how some foreign students who don't want to go home stay here, by extending their F1 visa and go get a master, MBA, PhD etc...

Can someone on a working visa attend university? Sure. But then you are no longer on a F1 visa anymore, and not a "student".

There is a F1 "extension", which is what some students on F1 visa do, called F1 practical training. As a student with F1 visa, when you graduate you can apply to extend the F1 on the basis of practical training. But you must have a sponsor (employer) to hire you to work FULL TIME in your major field of study. So if your major at SU is architecture, then an architect firm has to hire you and sponsor you and write a letter saying we have determined that Joe Smith is an ideal candidate as an entry level architect at our firm to receive PRACTICAL TRAINING to amend his education in the US. The practical training can be extended if needed.

After some time some folks on F1 practical training can apply to change the visa from F1 to H-1, the H-1 is now a true working visa. But it is not simple to get the approval to work in the US because it requires a labor department certification as part of the H-1 application. The labor department certification basically certifies that this individual should be allowed to stay in the US as a foreign worker because he/she possesses skills and experiences not easily filled by other US citizens and therefore does not displace another US citizen from a job. How do they even prove that? Well they have rules and so many loop holes. Of course you need to have an employer ready to hire you to vouch for you and sponsor you, then you need to have that employer post and ad (online, newspaper, trade magazines) to look for someone for your position for say 90 days. After 90 days, if no one responds, or if those who responded do not qualify, then you may get the certification. The company sponsor must document all those who responded and indicate why they do not qualify but only the foreigner. The company has to pay market salary (cannot low ball to deter respondent) and the company cannot reject some because the foreigner is better (advertise only minimum requirements and hire those who satisfy minimum requirements not who best qualify). It's a lot of hoops to jump though and a long wait. But once you get the labor certification you can apply for a H-1 visa to change your status to a foreign worker and still attend university.

There are other quicker way to get resident status, like marrying a US citizens.

Last edited:
Yes and No. It's complicated.

Normally when you apply to the university in the states from overseas they grant you a 4 year F1 visa. If you need to attend graduate school then you just apply to extend the F1 visa for another year or two...this is how some foreign students who don't want to go home stay here, by extending their F1 visa and go get a master, MBA, PhD etc...

Can someone on a working visa attend university? Sure. But then you are no longer on a F1 visa anymore, and not a "student".

There is a F1 "extension", which is what some students on F1 visa do, called F1 practical training. As a student with F1 visa, when you graduate you can apply to extend the F1 on the basis of practical training. But you must have a sponsor (employer) to hire you to work FULL TIME in your major field of study. So if your major at SU is architecture, then an architect firm has to hire you and sponsor you and write a letter saying we have determined that Joe Smith is an ideal candidate as an entry level architect at our firm to receive PRACTICAL TRAINING to amend his education in the US. The practical training can be extended if needed.

After some time some folks on F1 practical training can apply to change the visa from F1 to H-1, the H-1 is now a true working visa. But it is not simple to get the approval to work in the US because it requires a labor department certification as part of the H-1 application. The labor department certification basically certifies that this individual should be allowed to stay in the US as a foreign worker because he/she possesses skills and experiences not easily filled by other US citizens and therefore does not displace another US citizen from a job. How do they even prove that? Well they have rules and so many loop holes. Of course you need to have an employer ready to hire you to vouch for you and sponsor you, then you need to have that employer post and ad (online, newspaper, trade magazines) to look for someone for your position for say 90 days. After 90 days, if no one responds, or if those who responded do not qualify, then you may get the certification. The company sponsor must document all those who responded and indicate why they do not qualify but only the foreigner. The company has to pay market salary (cannot low ball to deter respondent) and the company cannot reject some because the foreigner is better (advertise only minimum requirements and hire those who satisfy minimum requirements not who best qualify). It's a lot of hoops to jump though and a long wait. But once you get the labor certification you can apply for a H-1 visa to change your status to a foreign worker and still attend university.

There are other quicker way to get resident status, like marrying a US citizens.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, sound like a lot of hoops to jump through and full-time work after all that might be the biggest hurdle.

I would be happy to marry Jesse if it helps. #mancrush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors