Elijah Hughes 2019/2020 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes 2019/2020

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
May he carry us through this potential tough upcoming season with the grace and effectiveness of senior Gbinije. I have faith in his development as he surpassed expectations this year.

Gbinije in 2013-2014 showed more ball handling potential off the bench than Hughes has this entire year.
Hughes is a catch and shoot 3 point shooter with a little driving ability.
He didn’t show a midrange game.
Hughes is a good 3rd scoring option like Malachi Richardson. He can take over in spurts but isn’t a Gbinije.

Gbinije was second team all-ACC. I yearn for another player who can have a season like his Senior year.

Gbinije in 2013-2014 showed more ball handling potential off the bench than Hughes has this entire year.
Hughes is a good 3rd scoring option like Malachi Richardson. He can take over in spurts but isn’t a Gbinije.

Gbinije was second team all-ACC. I yearn for another player who can have a season like his Senior year.

Well yes but G was a 5 star 5 tool american ninja the likes of which I’ve not seen since the first Captain America movie. Probably one of the more important players in modern cuse history.

Elijah has time to improve. I’ll give him this, the kid plays with attitude you see in his dunks and swats. If a j, rebounding and a little tightening to the handle is what he needs then i’m not too worried.

The comparison to Gbinije isn't close. Michael was as complete a player as you'll see at Syracuse. He could shoot from anywhere on the floor, pass, get to the rim and handle the ball. Hughes can't dribble without falling over or losing the ball. He has a long way to go before you make that comparison. Needs to work hard this off-season.

The comparison to Gbinije isn't close. Michael was as complete a player as you'll see at Syracuse. He could shoot from anywhere on the floor, pass, get to the rim and handle the ball. Hughes can't dribble without falling over or losing the ball. He has a long way to go before you make that comparison. Needs to work hard this off-season.

It is not a comparison to Gbinije. I’m just saying G’s the last player in memory who’s carried a team in similar position (in my opinion) to this upcoming team. We need a bridge guy.

It is not a comparison to Gbinije. I’m just saying G’s the last player in memory who’s carried a team in similar position (in my opinion) to this upcoming team. We need a bridge guy.

Gbinije's role worked because he had guys like Cooney, Lydon and Roberson who did the little things to help; they were all tough and not afraid to get dirty which is a trait this team doesn't have.

Gbinije's role worked because he had guys like Cooney, Lydon and Roberson who did the little things to help; they were all tough and not afraid to get dirty which is a trait this team doesn't have.
Lydon and Mali were nice as freshmen. Cooney was hot and cold, albeit somewhat one dimensional. Roberson was roberson. Gbinije was a stonewall of consistency that we’ve lacked in this program since. We need someone thats going to score and contribute in someway no matter what. Elijah has a ways to go but it wont be Oshae unless things change.

I am really not being the smart guy here, but didn’t we think that about this year?

When we thought Bazley was coming here, yeah.

After that debacle, I think incremental improvement was the expectation. We just stagnated though.

I don't foresee Hughes carrying the team, but I do think he showed that he can be a good 3 and D wing for us. If the surrounding pieces improve as passers, he could take a decent leap next year. One of the things that drove me nuts about this year's team is that on top of playing in a lackluster offensive system, we left a lot of points on the floor due to late passes. For example, watching last night, there were a lot of opportunities where Hughes and Boeheim came curling around towards the top of the 3 point line and could have gotten a good look but our players are consistently late on these passes and by the time they get it to our shooters, the defense has already recovered and the opportunity has been lost.

I gotta disagree with the ball handeling of G that first year. He was terrible. Almost jalen level. In Maui cal stripped him 5 times in a row up the floor. He developed the following year.

I think that's overstated, and to the extent that he had a complete skill set, that wasn't true until his senior year. And he worked his ass off to get to that point. Before that he was just the dude who lost his shoe and gave up a basket to go find it.

It's not every decade that you see an improvement like Gbinije's, so I wouldn't expect Hughes to get to that level, but the comp as sophomores is reasonable.

I think that's overstated, and to the extent that he had a complete skill set, that wasn't true until his senior year. And he worked his ass off to get to that point. Before that he was just the dude who lost his shoe and gave up a basket to go find it.

It's not every decade that you see an improvement like Gbinije's, so I wouldn't expect Hughes to get to that level, but the comp as sophomores is reasonable.

Like you said, he worked to get to that point which Hughes needs to do. That's player development. Him developing a competent handle takes his game to the next level.

Like you said, he worked to get to that point which Hughes needs to do. That's player development. Him developing a competent handle takes his game to the next level.

Yeah, I'm a little down on the program's player development but Gbinije is an undisputed bright spot. He and his coaches transformed his game, he went from a confused small forward to a passable point guard with a lights-out perimeter game in the span of about 18 months. That was pretty special, I know I didn't appreciate it enough because he played on a mediocre team, but he carried them.

Yeah, I'm a little down on the program's player development but Gbinije is an undisputed bright spot. He and his coaches transformed his game, he went from a confused small forward to a passable point guard with a lights-out perimeter game in the span of about 18 months. That was pretty special, I know I didn't appreciate it enough because he played on a mediocre team, but he carried them.

And yet, before the leap from Gbinije, when was the last time we saw a player completely transform their game and make such strides? Senior year Rak? Sophomore year MCW? Maybe. Those feel like stretches compared to Gbinije’s improvement. This serves to strengthen the point you’re making, in that we don’t have consistent, good player development, especially if Gbinije can be seen as the outlier.

If he were a year younger, he'd have an NBA career. One of my favorites from this decade.

I just hope Hughes scores more on offense than he gives up on defense. I like the guy but his lack of effort on D sometimes is alarming.

Last edited:
I just hope Hughes scores more on offense than he gives up on defense. I like the guy hit his lack of effort on D sometimes is alarming.

That’s exactly why I’m not so sold on Hughes making a big jump next year. There were long stretches this year where he looked indifferent, if not lazy on defense. At his size, he should have shown to be a much better rebounder as well. Unless he commits to improvement on both ends of the floor, his growth this offseason is capped, IMO.

I just hope Hughes scores more on offense than he gives up on defense. I like the guy hit his lack of effort on D sometimes is alarming.

It was a problem for the team all season; effort was non-existent. This was a lazy bunch. They had no hustle in them. Maybe this is the kick in the butt they need going forward.

Hughes just finished his sophomore year and 1st year playing at this level. Most of the board experts cough didn't think he could even play at this level and thought it was wasting a scholarship. He's further ahead than GBinje (3.4 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 1.2 As) was at the same stage and maybe at the same level right now as our one year hired gun Andrew White.

Hughes just finished his sophomore year and 1st year playing at this level. Most of the board experts cough didn't think he could even play at this level and thought it was wasting a scholarship. He's further ahead than GBinje (3.4 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 1.2 As) was at the same stage and maybe at the same level right now as our one year hired gun Andrew White.

Yeah, I’m of the opinion that he has the obtainable upside to take the lead role as soon as next year... if not out of necessity.

If he were a year younger, he'd have an NBA career. One of my favorites from this decade.

And if Ennis had stayed in school, they both could've had awesome college careers. Just imagine - Gbinije's development arc if he'd actually stayed at his natural position and played along a good point guard (instead of spending all that time learning how to pretend to be the point guard)? Kid would've been the prototypical Syracuse wing, the best since Wesley Johnson at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom