Elijah Hughes suffers strained groin; listed as day-to-day | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes suffers strained groin; listed as day-to-day

Groin injuries stink and can linger. The fact that he basically couldn’t go after a few minutes doesn’t make his prognosis seem all that great for Saturday. Without a healthy Hughes, I envision we’re losing by 20+ at FSU, unfortunately.

Groin injuries stink and can linger. The fact that he basically couldn’t go after a few minutes doesn’t make his prognosis seem all that great for Saturday. Without a healthy Hughes, I envision we’re losing by 20+ at FSU, unfortunately.

You may be right, but I'm hoping his health turns out favorably for Saturday, but JB does a Bill Belichick with the injury status and gets those of us who like to bet a larger point spread for the game.

Groin injuries are impossible to play with. I don't expect him to play Saturday.

This one stung more for me than Clemson. Just so tired of losing to nc st, the poster child of big conference mediocrity

I agree that it would have been a nice consolation for this season if we could have dethroned them to take that title. Any title belt would feel nice after the way the season started.

To go from not even really being in consideration to get back into the game tonight and being a full go this weekend is a nearly impossible ask.. particularly with an adductor injury ..

This absolutely sucks. We needed to win that Clemson game and we needed to win tonight. And we had the game in control at 68-62, but then had 3 straight terrible possessions and gave them the game back.

We found novel ways to turn it over ..that’s what this team does though .. get a working margin .. then relax as if it’s over and give up a run of points

Did you see how well they played down 17-9 and then down 6 early in the second half ?

Q and JG combined for 46, that doesn’t happen with Hughes in. Q had 10 boards and we out rebounded them, that doesn’t happen with Hughes in.

However, without Hughes we only had 1 player who could get his own shot/handle the ball. We scored 74pts but looked stagnant a lot, he’s a guy who can just go get a bucket when you need it and draws the best defender.

Overall I was impressed how we handled his absence. Buddy and Marek were awful and we still should have won. FSU is the worst matchup in the conference for us, period. Even with Hughes it most likely wouldbe ugly unless were hot from 3.

Groin injuries are impossible to play with. I don't expect him to play Saturday.
So he can’t move and would probably just be a statue near the 3 pt line. Big deal. He’d still force someone to guard him. At least that’s the logic I heard last night for Buddy playing 39.99999 minutes.

Q and JG combined for 46, that doesn’t happen with Hughes in. Q had 10 boards and we out rebounded them, that doesn’t happen with Hughes in.

However, without Hughes we only had 1 player who could get his own shot/handle the ball. We scored 74pts but looked stagnant a lot, he’s a guy who can just go get a bucket when you need it and draws the best defender.

Overall I was impressed how we handled his absence. Buddy and Marek were awful and we still should have won. FSU is the worst matchup in the conference for us, period. Even with Hughes it most likely wouldbe ugly unless were hot from 3.
Excellent points - I had FSU as our bust out game but you are right on - chances were slim with Eli, now...gulp.

Excellent points - I had FSU as our bust out game but you are right on - chances were slim with Eli, now...gulp.
I’d almost save Eli for Louisville. I’d love to be wrong but even if Eli scores 30 Saturday it might not be enough

I’d almost save Eli for Louisville. I’d love to be wrong but even if Eli scores 30 Saturday it might not be enough
I can see that but I am not sure we can - we have 3 chances to make the tourney - not sure we can make the effort without our best offensive player. It will be interesting to see how JB handles Saturday.

We are a worse team across the board without Hughes. He’s a dynamic star, and I have faith he’ll be back.

He’s a great teammate and a great Orange. This team’s not in the conversation or 2/3 as fun without him.

AND... IF Eli is in, then State can't blanket Buddy with their best defender, since that guy is likely assigned to check Eli - which means Buddy is probably not entirely useless much more effective this game.

Eli is a Top 5 player in the ACC, and solidly in the conversation for POY honors.
There is no alternative universe where we are somehow a better team with him not playing.

Death, taxes, and "Cheers" quotes/clips earning an automatic like from me and MSOrange . You can set your watch by it.

That clip was literally the first thing I thought of when they said it was a groin injury but I didn't feel like joking last night.

I pulled a groin muscle when stretching across the baseline for a reverse layup perhaps 20 years ago. It keeps coming back and is bothering me again today. I doubt that he will play on Saturday.

Looked much more confortable as the game went on, particularly in the second half. Doubt he goes Saturday, but it's not out of the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom