Elijah Hughes | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes

Word?
6162602F-9D23-4337-9F28-E0D9FF5DB397.gif

It may be the best team any of them have ever played on. What a confidence builder when you know your in the fight with studs

Im cautiously optimistic. Really think a canadian expeditionary tourney would benefit this group immensely

Obviously would be beneficial to any team. But really, it’s a team returning their contributors. Sweet 16 experienced; Canadian expeditionary tourney would have more of an impact on a younger team.

Hoping we see a 2009-10 type of surprise run, minus the starting center getting hurt.

We're probably a top 15 team preseason, top 10 in Palm I think. Is it really a surprise?

We're probably a top 15 team preseason, top 10 in Palm I think. Is it really a surprise?

Maybe surprise was an exaggeration. Apologies. Hoping we are as good - or close to as good - as that team, was my point. They would have won the title if not for Arinze going down. Nobody can tell me differently.

We better produce on the court. Our prestige, hence our future recruiting depends on it. Each game will have great importance. It is our opportunity to get out of the penalty box. We went deep in the tourney as an underdog. It's better to win as the team that is expected to win and that is what I want our future to be.

Looking great, could be the best player on our team next season! Truth!!!!
LOADED!!!!

See ya in Minny April 6th and 8th 2019!
Final Four 2019 - Minneapolis, MN
One of the best quotes JB gave about UVA’s 16v1 loss last season was how cruel the Tournament is to teams that are expected to win: “ If I win as a low seed, suddenly I’m a genius- same guy who lost all season. If i lose as a high seed, I’m a bum who can’t get it done”. (Paraphrasing)
I still prefer to pump my brakes on the expectations game for next season. I wanna win every game of course, but wake me up if we’re peaking in March, and not before. JMHO

One of the best quotes JB gave about UVA’s 16v1 loss last season was how cruel the Tournament is to teams that are expected to win: “ If I win as a low seed, suddenly I’m a genius- same guy who lost all season. If i lose as a high seed, I’m a bum who can’t get it done”. (Paraphrasing)
I still prefer to pump my brakes on the expectations game for next season. I wanna win every game of course, but wake me up if we’re peaking in March, and not before. JMHO

This is one reason I really do like having a guy who can score in isolation ( or multiple) when you aren't chock full of shooters or 5 deep in lottery picks. UVA has a style that puts them at risk simply because they don't typically have that guy. In the year we beat them they did have a guy in Brogdon who provided that skillset to an extent.

Ethan Cole says
"Summer workouts!"

Love the Ethan cole reference- they’ve been a lot rarer since Igor left us.

I will say the great reason for optimism next year is that we don’t really need any of these summer workout reports. It’d be great if Hughes is a star but the team doesn’t need him to be. Battle and Brissett will lead the team and we know they can do it. Howard is a fine player and we know who he is. Marek just needs to continue the normal development curve to be a legit contributor. The centers are fine, sidibe better than fine if he’s healthy. Someone of Carey, Hughes, braswell, and boeheim will contribute. It’s just a much better spot coming into the season than any year since at least 12-13 exactly because it’s not dependent on optimistic takes on guys we haven’t seen produce.

When you get a group of deep talent together you get them gelled and working in sync as soon as you can before conference play. Thats why id like a game vs that premier canadian squad or some sort of fiercely competitive scrimmage.

The games against Buffalo and St Bonaventure are huge for building team chemistry as well.

Can we just create an official Elijah Hughes thread?

Promising to hear -- he'll bring an element of scoring / versatility that we lacked on last year's squad.

Some of our best recent teams have had substantial firepower off of the bench [especially 2010, 2012] -- would be nice to have that luxury again this season, after depth has been such an issue for several consecutive seasons.

Promising to hear -- he'll bring an element of scoring / versatility that we lacked on last year's squad.

Some of our best recent teams have had substantial firepower off of the bench [especially 2010, 2012] -- would be nice to have that luxury again this season, after depth has been such an issue for several consecutive seasons.

Agree. I'm excited about the skill sets that I think Hughes and Carey can bring off the bench in particular as opposed to some years where we brought guys off the bench just to have 5 guys on the court.

Breath of fresh air. With only two scholarship players coming off the bench last year - Moyer and Sid (playing on one leg) - we averaged a TOTAL of 2.6 bench points per game over the last 10 games. Somehow, scoring 67 ppg, we still made it to the sweet 16. That's how good our defense was.

This year's bench - Sid, Carey, Hughes and Bras - has a chance to put up 5-10 times that number. That's not an unrealistic projection given reports like this thread.

Last edited:
Way to stay realistic.
Way to be a buzz kill. Look, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion... but for true life long, orange bleeding, Cuse loving fans... we are certainly more than entitled to more than a modicum of optimism with the program finally emerging from what, for some programs, would have been a death sentence.

furthermore... anyone who has followed the team for more than a couple decades knows... that JB, if nothing else, has demonstrated that he, arguably more than any other CBB coach has an incredible record of finding under the radar type kids who surprise everyone with what they bring. Hughes certainly appears to be one of those types of kids.

Admittedly, it's been a tough couple of seasons while we have felt the effect of the sanctions handed down by the NCAA. For anyone who is objective... one would have to say that the program has done very well considering what we were up against since the decision and sanctions were handed down.

That all having been said... I reserve the right to be optimistic... and even overly optimistic as we emerge from what has been a difficult period for the program. And I would bet... that Hughes is going to surprise a lot of people and can be the kind of player that can be a real difference maker.

We have a shot of really doing some special things this coming season. And ain't nobody gonna rain on my parade.

LGO!!

Looking great, could be the best player on our team next season! Truth!!!!
LOADED!!!!

See ya in Minny April 6th and 8th 2019!
Final Four 2019 - Minneapolis, MN

I hope Hughes is excellent.

But FWIW, he had a terrible freshman season. His shooting numbers are extremely poor and his defensive numbers aren't good either. I know he dealt with injuries.

IMO, he might fit the typical overrated type of player- good enough off the bounce and athletically to generate big hype and take a lot of shots, but can't shoot, pass or defend at a high level. I do worry that he might be a gunner that hurts the O and D if he plays the way he did his frosh season.

All that said, hopefully he can make 35% or better of his 3s, draw alot of FTs and make 75% or better, while having a true shooting percentage in the mid 50s and playing plus defense. If he cannot do any of those things, it might be tough to be an above average ACC starter, let alone Cuse's best player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom